Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Getting Ready for Kindergarten in the morning

Posted by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 6:27 PM
  • 7 Replies

HI ALL-

MY DAUGHTER IS 5YRS OLD AND JUST STARTED KINDERGARTEN.  FOR THE LAST 3 YRS (SHE WAS PREVIOUSLY IN PRIVATE SCHOOL PRE-SCHOOL) EVERYYYYYYYYYYYYY MORNING SHE GIVES US SUCH A HARD TIME GETTING HER DRESSED.  WE HAVE DONE EVERY TRICK IN THE BOOK:  HAVING HER PICK HER CLOTHES OUT THE NIGHT BEFORE, POSITIVE REINFORCEMENT WHEN SHE HAS A GOOD MORNING, TAKING AWAY TOYS IF SHE HAS A BAD MORNING, WE TRIED A CALANDER, STICKER, TREASURE CHEST REWARD, ECT...........THE LIST GOES ON.  I HAVE TALKED TO HER NUMEROUS TIMES AND EXPLAIND THAT IS MAKES IT HARD ON EVERYONE BECASUE YOU DO NOT WANT TO GET DRESSED.  SHE WHINES AND KICKS AND CRIES.  THEN WHEN SHE DOES GET DRESSED, THERE IS ALWAYS A PROBLEM.  THE SHIRT IS TOO SCATCHY, OR THE SOCKS ARE TOO TIGHT ECT....I AM OUT OF WAYS TO TRY AND GET THIS GIRL DRESSED IN THE MORNING.  IF ANY OF YOU HAVE ANY IDEAS OR SUGGESTIONS, PLEASE REPLY.  SHE GOES TO BED EARLY, SO IT'S NOT A SLEEP THING EITHER.....PLS HELP  ;)

ALSO, IS ANYONE ELSE EXPERIENCING THIS?  I WOULD FEEL MORE AT PEACE IF I KNEW THIS WAS JUST A STAGE THINGGY AND OTHERS WERE GOING THROUGH THIS...

THANK YOU!

by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 6:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
CreziaMommyTo2
by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 6:31 PM

my DS has been doing this since i can remember but he is autistic and has major sensory issues.  my DD who is 3 has been doing this as well since she was 2.  so what i do, is the clothes that she doesnt like or says hurt or bother her, i put in a bag and give them away.  i usually buy tagless shirts and soft clothes (but i do make them both wear jeans.

funhappymom
by on Aug. 31, 2012 at 9:22 AM
1 mom liked this

I know it's not ideal but have you tried telling her if she isn't dressed and ready by a certain time, she will be going to school in whatever it is that she is wearing? My kids know that when I say they need to get dressed, that means get dressed or else wear your PJs to school. 

Also, it sounds to me like something is going on with school and it might helpt to try to get to the bottom of it.

Michys
by on Aug. 31, 2012 at 11:45 AM

My girl has sensory issues and she will complain about certain clothes being too itchy or too tight, etc.  She also used to have problems with foods, she wanted to eat only COLD things.  She is better now, it just took time.  Have you thought about the fact that she might have a sensory issue?  Does she ever cover her ears and say things are too loud when they seem normal to you?

happy2bmom25
by on Aug. 31, 2012 at 1:35 PM

have you tried using an egg or kitchen timer, and set the time and tell her be dresses before the timer goes off? same thing for breakfast if she is slow at the table too.

i don't really agree with rewarding children for doing their jobs. it is her job to eat, get dressed and brush her teeth in the mornings. i also like the idea of letting her go to school in pajamas one day if she is uncooperative. 

my kids do better if they get up extra early and have a little tv time before jumping into the routine.

amonkeymom
by Silver Member on Aug. 31, 2012 at 2:44 PM

I was going to say this same thing.  Don't give in either.

Quoting funhappymom:

I know it's not ideal but have you tried telling her if she isn't dressed and ready by a certain time, she will be going to school in whatever it is that she is wearing? My kids know that when I say they need to get dressed, that means get dressed or else wear your PJs to school. 

Also, it sounds to me like something is going on with school and it might helpt to try to get to the bottom of it.

CoeyG
by on Aug. 31, 2012 at 7:02 PM

Get an alarm clock and set it for the time she has to be ready for school.  Tell her how much time she has to get ready and even if she is not ready you will have her out the door heading to school.  The, follow through.  My dagher tried the same thing.  I worked outside the home full time, I worked in the opposite direction of her school and if I had to take her to school I would be almost an hour late which meant I wouldn't get paid for that hour, not something I'd be happy about.  One morning she got on the bus in her pajamas.  When I got to work I called the principal and he agreed to keep her at school,  Next morning and every morning after she was ready and waiting at the door for the bus...

NinaMomNYC
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 8:40 AM

This sounds a lot like my son (who also started Kindergarten last year. But like some of the other kids mentioned in previous posts here, he was diagnosed with mild Sensory Processing issues - difficultly organizing himself to transition tasks, sensitivity to clothing textture, etc. You may considered getting your daughtyer evaluated by an Occupational Therapist who is knowledgeable about SPD. If she has sensory issues (all kids have them to some degree - some more intense than others), then you need to IGNORE all the parents' posts above that treat it like an attitude/ behavior problem (and all the suggestings to try to correct it with negative discipline). That does not work at all for sensory kids - they literally do not have to capacity to organize efficiently if not specifically taught how to regulate their responses; threatening them with negative consequences will only stress them out and make matters worse (imagine someone threatening you to do something under a time pressure that you aren't good at doing). There are very specific ways to positiviely support sensory kids to help them organize their tasks.

After 6 months of OT, we have made a visual schedule for my son, and he has very specific physical tools and interventions that help him focus. When he uses these tools, he can get ready in the mornings very well. When he doesn't, he gets easily overwhelmed. You would just need to become more familiar with what works/helps your DD. Good luck!

there are specific ways to help him manage his transitions in a positive way.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN