Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms
Do you give your kids the gummy multi vitamins or any multi vitamin at all?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 10:30 PM
Replies (11-20):
storkradio193
by on Sep. 11, 2012 at 4:52 PM

We have some gummy ones, but don't give regularly.  I won't buy more after we use them up.  Most studies have shown the multi-vitamins are not helpful, at least for adults.

http://www.cafemom.com/home/storkradio193

LindaClement
by on Sep. 11, 2012 at 6:36 PM

Nope. 

We used food for nutrition. I've read far too much about the best supplements on the market, and I know that they're still not a fraction of the complex set of nutrients we need to thrive.

Rota
by Member on Sep. 11, 2012 at 7:01 PM
1 mom liked this

To the moms that rely on good foods for providing their children top nutrition- I commend you on your endeavors. However, most of our food, even fresh, has been depleted of vital nutrients because of over farming. Unless you grow your own, you are not getting what you think you should.

Over 95% of the entire population does not get everything they need from their food. That has been studied and written about in major nutritional journals. So, the recommendations are that everyone take a supplement to fill in the gaps. Because you do not know where and what these gaps are, a top quality supplement does work.Yes, that has been studied and published also. The studies that claim vitamins do not work have been done on the typical one a days, gummi, flinstone type vitamins. These are all artificial vitamins which your body cannot use- hence you see no benefits. When you switch to top quality food based supplements, you will notice a change in your health.

Did you know that the FDA knows about lead contamination in over 350 supplements made for women and children. Some of them have been named on these posts. Also flinstones has formaldehyde in it as a preservative. The company claims that a small amount of formaldehyde won't hurt your child. I don't buy that argument one bit.

MegaTransform
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 2:23 PM

Hey moms... I have a 7 and 5 year old who take a daily multi-vitamin and they have NO artificial flavors, colors or sweeteners. They also HAVE high levels of Vitamin C, E and Selenium. 

I compared them to the Flinstones and here's what I found.

Vitamin C  Vitamin E Selenium Phytonutrient  Artificial Flavors/Colors and Sweeteners
Mine 250 100 50 80 NONE
Flintstones    60    30  0 ns  YES

I also give them bioOmega (fish oil) every other day. :)

Its.me.Sam.
by Bronze Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 2:26 PM

i give my son the Smartypants multi-vitamin with omega.  theyre chewy.  theyre a bit pricey and they have to take 4 a day - but i like them a lot and theyre eco friendly and all natural.  they are just a supplemt to his diet - we eat very healthy and blanaced diets.

MegaTransform
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 2:49 PM

Here's something helpful. Can we post the supplemental facts on our bottles? Maybe this would help everyone?

turtle07
by Rhiannon on Nov. 27, 2012 at 2:50 PM
Gummy kind
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
-PB
by Gold Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 3:38 PM

Nope.  Vitamins should only be taken by people who are pregnant, suffering from chronic illness, or over 50.

MegaTransform
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 11:16 PM

Very interested in learning how you can make such strong and absolute statements.

Are you a cellular biologist?

I am so interested in learning more about your background and your intelligence/experience with multi-vitamins.

Please share. Thanks!

busymom64064
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 11:26 PM
My son gets the flintstones. I also agree that the gummies are bad for their teeth. Ive heard this from several dentists. Also gummies have been known to cause confusion for many kids. They think it is candy because it LOOKS like candy (which I think is one of the reasons it was created...so kids would take their vitamins) and the word gummy also has been known to confuse some. The poison control center has been contacted numerous times for gummy vitamin overdose. Yes it is the parent'sresponsibility to put them away out of reach, but some kids are determined to find a way.

Quoting Kiwismommy19:

She gets regular flintstones vitamins. Gummy stuff is horrile for their teeth so she doesn't get anything gummy/chewy like that.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)