Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

What's your opinion on teachers doing this during class time....

Posted by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 7:54 AM
  • 407 Replies
11 moms liked this

Using PERSONAL cell phone to make PERSONAL (NON EMERGANCY OR SCHOOL RELATED) phone calls during class time?

My DD's 4th grade teacher is alwasy talking on her iphone and texting.

my DD comes home and tells me the complete conversation. yesterday the teachers daughters school called to say that he lunch account was negative, and tho the child did get lunch she owen them $2.75. The teacher had the phone on speaker phone and continued the conversation saying she refused to pay because she had packed a lunch etc....basically the class room knows every detail.

then she proceeded to tell the class that her daughter goes to another shcool because she just got divorced etc...

Then called her ex husband to tell him the school had called.

this is something that was not urgent and could have been done at lunch or break....in my opinion.

my daugher is beind in spelling and math, and Ive been told by teachers and the school that they lack the time to always help students extra or offer tuturing....okay, so USE the time time you have in classroom, not on the phone!

by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 7:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
offrdngal
by Terri on Sep. 12, 2012 at 8:09 AM
65 moms liked this

Call the principal and set up a meeting with him/her and the teacher, to discuss what you have told is going on.  If, after the meeting, the behavior continues, take it to the superintendent.

heidi749
by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 8:42 AM
9 moms liked this

That is just wrong, her job is to teach the students, during those hrs, not take or make phone calls, while she is to be teaching her class. I would be contacting the principale right away.

My goodness if I, or most people with certain types of jobs, stopped doing their job to take a personal call, that was not an emergency, when it was not break time, and especially to make one, while it is hrs to work, I highly doubt that they or I, would be keeping that job. 

notjstanothrmom
by Silver Member on Sep. 12, 2012 at 8:48 AM
8 moms liked this

I would absolutely report it.

I would probably find a new school as well. Unless she has a learning disability your child being behind is a direct corelation with the school system. I would move or homeschool her because she is not learning where she is at now.

ShannieP
by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 8:51 AM
11 moms liked this
I do not feel that tat is appropriate behavior. I would address the teacher first, politely, an continue up the chain if the behavior continued.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BabyBearsMom608
by Member on Sep. 12, 2012 at 8:54 AM
11 moms liked this
maybe once in a while it would be okay, she iis a person too and sometimes phone calls need to happen. BUT if it happens ALL the time , not great idea.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Crazy-Steph
by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 9:45 AM
38 moms liked this

I don't agree with this.  What happened before cell phones?  There were not personal calls in the classrooms.  If there was an emergency, the teacher was paged over the intercom.  Other than that, she taught.  The same with any job.  I really don't like that people have lost their professionalism because of cell phones.

Quoting BabyBearsMom608:

maybe once in a while it would be okay, she iis a person too and sometimes phone calls need to happen. BUT if it happens ALL the time , not great idea.

Glowing4Caleb
by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 9:46 AM
44 moms liked this

I dont care what my profession is, if my child's school calls me on my cell phone, I will drop what I am doing to answer. NOW, that being said, once finding out it was about the school lunch I would tell them I would talk to them after school, and then call the ex on break. BUT, I would not have a problem if my child's teacher had a call from school and she answered it...you dont know the reason behind the call until you answer it.

Acid
by Silver Member on Sep. 12, 2012 at 9:47 AM
31 moms liked this

First, that's one teacher, not all of them.   

You are also responsible for helping your child 'catch up' by helping her with math and spelling.  It is not a teacher's job once your child is gone for the day.  She is behind because she doesn't understand it and should get some help at home as well.

From the way you spelled tutoring, you might also need some help.

With all that said, it is unacceptable, if the teacher truly is doing this, to continue to speak on her phone at school.

You need to speak to someone and have that taken care of .

cara124
by Bronze Member on Sep. 12, 2012 at 9:47 AM
5 moms liked this

talk to the teach about so that she is aware that you know the behavior is going on .... then if your child continues to tell you about the teach " talking " on the phone report up the chain of command... Teacher are people to so things happen BUT personal calls over once a month for NON emergencies need to not happen ( they wouldn't happen at a "NORMAL" job )

HaileysMom07180
by Bronze Member on Sep. 12, 2012 at 9:49 AM
1 mom liked this

i would call the principal, thats rediculous.  i can see texting if she has given the children a task and they are suppose to be quietly doing their task on their own, but the second a hand goes in the air, she needs to stop wut shes doing and go help.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)