Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

For the mama's that make their own laundry soap/softener!

Posted by on Sep. 13, 2012 at 7:34 PM
  • 15 Replies

I want to try and save money on laundry soap and softener. But I had a few questions. Were going to the store tomorrow and I -have- to get some laundry soap. We are OUT!

What do you use to make your laundry soap/softener? How much does it cost you and how much do you save from buying already made laundry soap/softener? How long does it last you?

Thanks ladies!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

by on Sep. 13, 2012 at 7:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Braydens_Mama11
by on Sep. 13, 2012 at 8:48 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Froglili
by on Sep. 13, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Early last year I spent less than twenty bucks buying the ingredients and still have laundry detergent left over. I use a 2:2:1 mixture of borax, washing soda, and grated zote. I use vinegar in the fabric softener dispenser and that runs me about a dollar a month and I do alot of laundry. I have two cats, two dogs, and a husband with allergies who leaves his towels in the bottom of his closet so you can just imagine the amount of laundry.

snowangel1979
by Silver Member on Sep. 13, 2012 at 10:02 PM
I use 2 cups borax (around $5), 2 cups washing soda (around $5) , and 1 bar fes nepal (sp?) grated. ($1)

The borax and washing soda last a while, like 6-12 months.

I do a lot of laundry at LEAST a load or two a day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
heyfire
by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 11:36 AM

I make my own now for the last year. LOVE it, saves me tons of money. I have tried two different ones. found them on www.onegoodthingbyjillee.com

I also make my D.O. and other things.

Braydens_Mama11
by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 11:50 AM
D.o?

Quoting heyfire:

I make my own now for the last year. LOVE it, saves me tons of money. I have tried two different ones. found them on www.onegoodthingbyjillee.com

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lexikinds
by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 11:53 AM

I make my own Fabric softner cost is super low and works better then the store bought ones. 
Buy cheap conditioner when it's on sale stocked up at $1 a piece((in canada...that's cheap))
Viniger(huge) from walmart 1.50
water--free 
 boil 6 cups of water when it's boiling at 3 cups viniger and 2 cups((or just the entire small bottles))conditioner mix and wait for it to cool before pouring into container. Cost me around 1.25 to make enough to last me two months.

sweetmissy_05
by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 3:11 PM

We use fels naptha bar soap...onlly like $1.50 for a bar soap and for 5 gallons you only need 1/4 of the bar soap, and then you need to get Borax and that's like $2-3 and only need 1/2 a cup for a 5 gallons, and then you also need 1 cup of Arm and Hammer Super Washing Soda and that's only a couple bucks.......so for a total of under $10 you can make a 5 gallon bucket of homemade laundry soap AND have plenty left over to make even more!!  A 5 gallon bucket of soap can last like 180 loads  because you only need like 5/8 cups in a top loader or 1/4 cup in a front loader...but they are safe and HE safe as well.  So in all reality you are saving money....and it's really easy to make...plus it cleans a lot better than store bought soap and doesn't have the chemicals and whatever else in there too....we only use homemade laundry soap and we love it!!

heyfire
by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 6:55 PM
1 mom liked this

deodorant :-) cocanut oil, baking soda, corn starch. and then I had a few drops of my fav. essentional oils

I also like the No-Grate homemade laundry soap, its with 3 tbs borax, 3 tbs washing soda, 2 tbs dawn dish soap.

put all ingredients in a one gallon jug, pour 4 cups of boiling water into jug, swirl until dissolved. let liquid cool then fill almost to the top with cold water.

I always hated grateing the bar soap.

And I use vinagar for fabric softner. but that site I posted earlier she has tons of homemade things like toothpaste, month wash, even food.

Quoting Braydens_Mama11:

D.o?

Quoting heyfire:

KRIZZ25
by Member on Sep. 14, 2012 at 6:59 PM
i,m going to try making my one someday..i been takein whats left in empty bottly adding cup of hot water mixing in big conter .. each time i get a empty bottle i add that .. i,m going to see how long it takes to fill it up.. i throw in a half cup sofner or what ever i have to make it smell good..
1Angeland3Girls
by on Sep. 16, 2012 at 9:29 PM

ok I use homemade laundry soap and it lasts me 3 months for a family of 6  for $20. ( $20 for the 1st 3 months, and the next batch will only cost $15) So $35 for me for 6 months for 6 people. I do roughly 60 loads a month. So it breaks down for me to be 10 cents a load, or $5.83 a month.

1 box of baking soda (large one in laundry aisle) $2.00

1 box of washing soda (also in laundry aisle) $4.00

1 container of unscented oxyclean $7.00

2 bars of fels naptha bar soap (laundry aisle)(Grated up like parmesan cheese)  $2.00

1 small container of purex laundry crystals (use 1/2 the bottle) ( this is the softener) (if you want a stronger scent use the whole bottle) $5.00

Mix all ingredients in a container, bucket whatever. And for a medium size load I use 2 tablespoons. There isn't a lather, it just gets dirt out!

Fels naptha soap is best dissolved in hot water. If you like to wash in cold water, then just dissolve your 2 tbsps of laundry soap mix in a small measuring cup with hot water, and add it to the cold water in your washer.

Disclaimer*** I hand wash, and double rinse and it works great.

I use this for my cloth diapers too, 2 tablespoons with a few drops of dawn dish soap, and a few drops of dreft to help with the stains, In hot water. I let them sit for a couple hours, double rinse them in cold water and super clean, no poo stains!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)