Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

DS Just fainted!

Posted by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 5:17 PM
  • 19 Replies

My son just fainted! He was upstairs in my daughter's room and said he was sitting on the bed and playing a video game. He said he got mad about the game and hit a plate that was sitting next to him (it didn't break and his hand was just a little red, not even swollen and now even the redness is gone). He said that after he hit the plate, things started getting black and then he woke up on the floor.

My oldest son and I were downstairs and heard a thud, but didn't think anything of it. I just figured he was playing or dropped something and since the floors upstairs are hardwood, everything sounds loud. No more than three minutes after we heard the thud Trey came downstairs and told us what happened so he wasn't out long. I made him sit down. He said nothing hurts and his vision wasn't blurry or anything. He ate well today, he had breakfast, lunch and a snack at school and then came home and had a piece of pizza which he ate just before this happened (that's what was on the plate that he hit). I gave him some Kool-Aid thinking maybe his sugar was low (but since he ate well, I doubt it).

I called the doctor's office and they said that since he feels ok and his vision is ok to just take him in tomorrow morning and the doctor will see him. She said she's not sure what all they'll want to do since this hasn't happened before and he's ok now, but she said they'll probably do lab work and maybe a CT. she said meanwhile to just keep an eye on him and if it happens again to take him straight to the ER.

He just turned 15 last month and nothing even remotely similar has ever happened like this before and there's nothing in the family history that I can think of that seems similar. I'm scared to death. I have NO idea what have caused this. The only things coming to mind is that he's mildly Autistic (although I doubt that would effect it) and he didn't sleep much last night, but that's not uncommon for him at all. I'm thrilled when he gets 4-5 hours of sleep so I don't think that would cause it either.

Any advice on what I could or should be donig meanwhile? I've never been around someone who's fainted for no apparent reason so I'm scared to death. I feel like I should be doing more than just watching him, but the doctor didn't seem overly concerned and when I asked what I should do, they said, "Just keep an eye on him." Am I worrying too much?

Are you, or will you be, a mom of three?
Join us at Terrific Trio!

by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 5:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
snowangel1979
by Silver Member on Sep. 17, 2012 at 5:27 PM
Does he have high blood pressure?

If your blood pressure gets really high, it can cause you to pass out.
So if It's high as it is and he gets mad and makes it go higher. He could pass out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Aurora-Dove
by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 5:31 PM

Oh my goodness :( I don't know, I've never had to deal with anything like that, only with someone having seizures. Here is a BUMP though so It stays at the top of the list.

WyledBunch
by Member on Sep. 17, 2012 at 5:38 PM

He doesn't have high blood pressure that I know of. It's never been bad before when it had been checked. Do you think it's possible that he just got too angry too quickly and it shot up?

Quoting snowangel1979:

Does he have high blood pressure?

If your blood pressure gets really high, it can cause you to pass out.
So if It's high as it is and he gets mad and makes it go higher. He could pass out.

WyledBunch
by Member on Sep. 17, 2012 at 5:39 PM

Thank you so much!

Quoting Aurora-Dove:

Oh my goodness :( I don't know, I've never had to deal with anything like that, only with someone having seizures. Here is a BUMP though so It stays at the top of the list.

mamanikki06
by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 5:39 PM
what kind of game was he playing? Now days everything on nintendo and other games have warnings about games.. People have had seizures and such becuz of flashing lights on certain games... Hope hes ok and everything turns out fine at the doctor
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
WyledBunch
by Member on Sep. 17, 2012 at 5:42 PM

He was playing Call of Duty, but he's been playing that since Christmas so I don't think it was that unless that's something that could happen randomly and not just the first time the game was played. :\ Thank you so much!

Quoting mamanikki06:

what kind of game was he playing? Now days everything on nintendo and other games have warnings about games.. People have had seizures and such becuz of flashing lights on certain games... Hope hes ok and everything turns out fine at the doctor

Aurora-Dove
by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 5:42 PM

You're welcome, I would probably be freaking out just a tad, I would want as much advice as possible!

Quoting WyledBunch:

Thank you so much!

Quoting Aurora-Dove:

WyledBunch
by Member on Sep. 17, 2012 at 5:43 PM

That's just how I feel. It's so scary!

Quoting Aurora-Dove:

You're welcome, I would probably be freaking out just a tad, I would want as much advice as possible!

Quoting WyledBunch:

Thank you so much!

Quoting Aurora-Dove:

Aurora-Dove
by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 5:47 PM

I can only imagine! Maybe it was just a black out from anger? I've heard that can happen, and with him being autistic plus I'm sure going through puberty as well. Maybe it was just a mixture of anger, and hormones of a teenage boy? I'm sure the doctor will do a thorough check, and hopefull Cat scan will be able to give you some answers.

Quoting WyledBunch:

Quoting Aurora-Dove:

Quoting WyledBunch:

Thank you so much!

Quoting Aurora-Dove:

WyledBunch
by Member on Sep. 17, 2012 at 5:49 PM

Ohh good ideas! Yeah, maybe it was just that. He seems fine now, but I'm still keeping him close by just in case lol No playing outside today!

Quoting Aurora-Dove:

I can only imagine! Maybe it was just a black out from anger? I've heard that can happen, and with him being autistic plus I'm sure going through puberty as well. Maybe it was just a mixture of anger, and hormones of a teenage boy? I'm sure the doctor will do a thorough check, and hopefull Cat scan will be able to give you some answers.

Quoting WyledBunch:

Quoting Aurora-Dove:

Quoting WyledBunch:

Thank you so much!

Quoting Aurora-Dove:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN