Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Baby formula question...

Posted by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 11:11 AM
  • 14 Replies

So I was trying to breast feed my baby and dried up for some unknown reason with zero warning around week 5.  It was weird.  Anyhow, have been feeding her Enfamil Premium Infant formula and it seems to work great for her.  We had tried the Enfamil Newborn but it was like giving her a shot of espresso with every bottle.  Last night my husband and I were looking at ingredients trying to see what was so different between the 2 and we realized there was TAURINE in both!  That's the crap they put in energy drinks!  I had received a sample of Similac Advance Complete Nutrition in the mail some time ago and was going to try that out.  I see that it's got Taurine in it also, and it's about halfway through the ingredients (with Enfamil at least it's 2nd to last ingredient).  I want my baby girl to have GOOD stuff in her tummy and since I'm dried up, I wanted to know what you ladies think of what kinds of formula?  Also, I am going to assume that a baby is like a dog and it's bad to just switch from one kind of food to another.  Do I need to slowly start mixing in the new formula with the old and wean her off the old?  Any guidance would be appreciated.  Thank you girls!

by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 11:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hawaiianhoni
by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 11:21 AM

I used Similac this last time, as did many of my friends, there was another that I used but it was almost 13 years ago so I can't remember the name of it.

countrybumpkin1
by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Ok I did some research on the Taurine thing... now I feel like an idiot.  

Randi02
by Platinum Member on Sep. 18, 2012 at 11:59 AM

How old is she now?

How do you know you 'dried up'?

itsblissmas
by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 1:49 PM

I used Enfamil when I could afford it but I used Similac when I was on WIC because that is what they approved. I had heard that it's not good to switch them back and forth but I don't really know for sure.

SewingMamaLele
by Bronze Member on Sep. 18, 2012 at 1:54 PM
2 moms liked this

You don't just dry up randomly unless you start hormonal birth control, and you can always get your supply back.    If you're having trouble with formula and want to resume nursing, you absolutely can.. and that will be the BEST thing to put in her little tummy.   :)

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
sleepymommy87
by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 1:58 PM
I agree, there are so many things you can do to be able to nurse. Join the breastfeeding group, it's sooo helpful and we most likely can help you get your supply back. :)

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

You don't just dry up randomly unless you start hormonal birth control, and you can always get your supply back.    If you're having trouble with formula and want to resume nursing, you absolutely can.. and that will be the BEST thing to put in her little tummy.   :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jakesmom323
by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 2:23 PM
Sorry your milk dried up:( I tried Enfamil with my last son and I really liked it. I don't know any info on tourine, but it must be used for a reason to be excepted by the FDA for infants. Don't know why it would though???? Weird.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
christababy
by Member on Sep. 18, 2012 at 2:26 PM
We use Similac Organic and had no problems.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CoeyG
by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 2:31 PM

My daughter was on soy formula as a baby, never had any problems with it.  

piwife
by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 2:33 PM
Umm unless you were on certain meds or on estrogen birth control your milk doesn't just dried up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN