Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Can I sue a private school for not teaching my child

Posted by   + Show Post

Here it goes. I took my child out of public school in the middle of the second grade due to bullying and the school was not doing anything. I was at the doctors and eye doctors more than he was in school. We took him out of public school and put him into private. Withing the the third grade we noticed his reading was not up to par. There was something not quite right. I had meetings with his teacher who told me they knew the problem and would work on it. He was missing the basics. Well we continued to go back and forth and they told us they had the problem under control. Our child is now in 5th grade. We had him tested and he is at a reading 2nd grade level. WTF!!!! They also told us his math capacity was beyond the level he was at. He was doing 6th and 7th grade math. Well after having him tested at a testing area for profit and finding out he was not close to where he should be. We moved him back into the public school system but at a better school. We are having a psych-education testing done as we speak. Our sons new teacher has red flagged our son after knowing and watching him what is it two weeks into school. They are testing him also and he is at a second grade level. His math is also sub par!!! We are devistated!!! I kept going to his teacher in the private school asking if we should get our son extra help and he kept telling me no. He has this but clearly he didnt and next year our child will be going into middle school. They would have taken our money and shuffled him along. This is so heartbreaking.. Everytime I think about this I cry. We are the type of parents that will do anything for our childrens education. They have failed my child. They took our money and failed him. He is at the same level they got him!!! WTF!!! (sorry I cant help it). Does anybody know if we can sue a private school for dont doing their job. The icing on the cake. This school is a learning center he was in. It is a religious school. My husband and I are not the ones to go to church everyday (We were very clear with them why we were sending him there for a good education). My god!! he went to a religious school and wont be able to read and understand a bible. We paid them on time. We neve missed a beat with their money. They never had to come looking for us. Education is so important. At this rate my child is going to become frustrated and drop out when they allow him to. I have to say that my son knows that he has some difficulty reading. He has noticed it himself but he doesnt know to the extent. Im  rambling now. Any advice will be helpful.  As I said we are having him tested to see what he needs and then plan to make sure he gets it. If we have to work ten jobs. Take care everyone.

by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 12:04 PM
Replies (11-20):
beadingmom17
by Bronze Member on Sep. 21, 2012 at 3:04 PM
Are you kidding, CoeyG?! *facepalm* I lose what little faith I have left in humanity more and more each day...

OP, unless the school has some kind of guarentee, you don't really have any grounds to sue. Contact a lawyer if you want, but you'd probably do better to use the money on a private tutor for your son.

Quoting CoeyG:

This reminds me of when my daughter was going to middle school.  At open house one parent actually asked if they were going to teach "morals" in school because her 13 year old son needed to be educated in morals and manners.  Those are things that need to be taught in the home from the very start.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jadegirl1819
by Bronze Member on Sep. 21, 2012 at 3:09 PM

I understand why you are upset but it's not totally on the school/teachers.  You should have noticed he wasn't advancing and pulled him out of there or got him a tutor.  Now you just need to focus on getting him the help he needs.

hapytubemom
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 4:36 PM
1 mom liked this
To everyone who is negative.. We have been working with him.. How do you think we noticed something.. When I went to the school and asked if they were seeing what we are seeing and should we get a tutor .. We were told it was not as bad as we thought. The told us they would work with him.. I'm going to say this again... We also work with him.. They told us he was fine.. Not to worry..how do u think we found out where he is.. We took him somewhere to be tested. By the way he is getting tutored. In fact when we brought the private school the findings of the first place we took him too.. They made a plan for him.. Started working with him. The work that they said that they were going to do before.. Hey people we are not idiots as parents... We notices a problem. We went to the supposed experts who told us they got it ... Even though we said we thought he needed a tutor.. The teacher was mad that I would get one... He did not think that would be benificial for my son. We are testing him further.. I don't need someone telling me I'm an idiot.. We did everything and continue to do everything possible for our son.. I asked a question.. We are hurt because we love our children and trusted that the people who are to HELP us to educate are being honest with us.. How would u feel if u were being told your child education wise was fine.. And finally u go with ur gut to have him tested and he is not. Teachers are not there to do everything..this child is not behavioral, he is a good kid, who works hard..we are parents who set up meeting with the school..to figure out what was going on..how can we help him.. How dare u say that it's our fault. So either give good advice.. Or pass this advice on.
LucyHarper
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 4:37 PM

Sometimes kids simply can't be brought up to level, so you can't sue them for your child not learning since you can't prove that that was their fault, but because they were lying to you, telling you he was at a higher level than he is and telling you that they were fixing things that they weren't, legally you might have a case. Think of the private school as a private business and your child as a product. Lets say you have leaky pipes, you call a plumber, they come in, tell you they fixed the whole problem and it's now better than before, but they keep leaking and a month later they burst all over your bedroom and it turns out the plumber lied and never fixed the problem, but told you they did and took your money for it, that woud be fraud. Same thing in this case, you paid them for a service, they told you they completed the service when they didn't, and lied about it.

Aslen
by Silver Member on Sep. 21, 2012 at 4:38 PM

you can SUE over anything/

Doens't mean you'll win.

Maybe you shouldn't be expecting the schools to raise your children. Maybe YOU should have been doing something

ChancesMommy07
by Silver Member on Sep. 21, 2012 at 4:44 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting hapytubemom:

To everyone who is negative.. We have been working with him.. How do you think we noticed something.. When I went to the school and asked if they were seeing what we are seeing and should we get a tutor .. We were told it was not as bad as we thought. The told us they would work with him.. I'm going to say this again... We also work with him.. They told us he was fine.. Not to worry..how do u think we found out where he is.. We took him somewhere to be tested. By the way he is getting tutored. In fact when we brought the private school the findings of the first place we took him too.. They made a plan for him.. Started working with him. The work that they said that they were going to do before.. Hey people we are not idiots as parents... We notices a problem. We went to the supposed experts who told us they got it ... Even though we said we thought he needed a tutor.. The teacher was mad that I would get one... He did not think that would be benificial for my son. We are testing him further.. I don't need someone telling me I'm an idiot.. We did everything and continue to do everything possible for our son.. I asked a question.. We are hurt because we love our children and trusted that the people who are to HELP us to educate are being honest with us.. How would u feel if u were being told your child education wise was fine.. And finally u go with ur gut to have him tested and he is not. Teachers are not there to do everything..this child is not behavioral, he is a good kid, who works hard..we are parents who set up meeting with the school..to figure out what was going on..how can we help him.. How dare u say that it's our fault. So either give good advice.. Or pass this advice on.

If you thought he needed a tutor then you should have gotten him one regardless of whether or not it was going to piss the teachers off. You saw he had a problem and a tutor or a lot more at home work would have been the next logical step. If I think there is a problem with my sons education I'm not just going to take the teachers word that everything is going to work out, its a parents job to keep pushing. And its likely that if you did sue its not going to work in your favor because you didn't go that step further and actually get him help.

prinzesa_edith
by Member on Sep. 21, 2012 at 4:48 PM
I don't think this is true, I think it's more like paying for a tutor who taught him nothing, because she payed this private school. Yes she should have helped, but school taught me to read not my parents, schools are getting worse and worse

Quoting CoeyG:

This reminds me of when my daughter was going to middle school.  At open house one parent actually asked if they were going to teach "morals" in school because her 13 year old son needed to be educated in morals and manners.  Those are things that need to be taught in the home from the very start.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kiwismommy19
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 4:52 PM
1 mom liked this
Seriously? Youjr kid is in 5th grade, went to this school for nearly 3 years and stayed the same level and you're wanting to sue the School? Have I got that right?
Save your money and see if you can't buy yourself some sense.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kaya529
by Member on Sep. 21, 2012 at 4:58 PM
Did you sign anything when you signed him up?

I would look through all the paperwork from the school. They had at the very least a verbal contract to teach your son and did not provide the service that you paid them to do. I would contact a lawyer pronto. You can get back the money you paid the school, lawyers feed, and,maybe even get some to pay toward any iwyoncurred costs that you will pay toward getting him caught up.

Other then the part about letting this go on for so long, if I were you I wouldn't listen to what the negatives have to say. Also let this be a lesson to trust your guy and always keep up with what the school is doing with your child.

I hope things work out for your son.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hapytubemom
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 4:59 PM
1 mom liked this
You know what did u really read... Or do u need glasses.. I expect the teacher to work with me.. Especially if I'm paying money for it.. I'm expecting that if my child is in a class of only two kids counting HIM.. Shouldn't u know where the hell he is academically..if I come to u and u say we got it. We didn't stop working with him at home.. We never stop.. Damn.. U people act like we sat at home and picked our noses.. And just left it up to them to teach him.. Im so hurt that I communicated with the experienced person who told me he was fine..our gut telling us otherwise we finally sought out the correct answers to our questions.. We are hurt.. We feel lied to..we are very involved with our kids lives..I've been at that school much for meetings I set up I needed a damn bed there. I'm sorry I'm an idiot.. Isn't private scroll suppose to be a little better.. And dn it is he's in a class of two.. I didn't ask the teacher to create miracles. I brought my own miracles into this world but I expect for them to be able to see if something is wrong and if I come to u don't get mad at my suggestion of tutoring and tell me that not for him. We are working on it. WOW...I'm expecting a teacher to work with me.. Not lie to me..didn't he deserve at least that much!!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)