Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Nap Time?!

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2012 at 7:09 PM
  • 36 Replies

Killian, is usually the happiest baby ever! ALWAYS smiling and watching things. Very smart and loving EXCEPT for when its nap time! As a baby, he slept through the night the first few nights after he was born and then ever since he would wake a couple times a night, give or take, to feed. And for naps during the day, it was a breeze honestly, like clock work. Normal, right? Well he's a year now and he still has the same sleeping patterns at night which is ok... however! Around 6 months or so, when we would try to put him down for naps during the day (started with naps every 2 hours or so and would sleep an hour and now we put him down every few hours or more... usually more and he'll sleep anywhere from 15 mins to 1 hour or sometimes almost 2) he would become literally violent i.e. kicking & screaming, thrusting himself backwards, arching his back, biting, and he will even go as far as pulling his own hair and scratching his face to keep himself awake and crying so hard he gags and throws everything up! And yes we trim his nails but he digs! I really don't know where this behavior comes from but I feel like we're doing something wrong... My husband is more stern about our son's nap time and if he starts rubbing his eyes or yawning then he will put him down as soon as the signs start to avoid Killian getting "over tired" ... although we've tried doing the opposite as well (letting him stay up til he drops.) But our son's loud and violent tantrums happen every time we try to put him down for a nap!

We have tried many alternatives such as letting him stay up but that only makes him very cranky & then nobody is happy...

We tried letting him cry it out and after 2 weeks  I couldn't stand to hear him cry anymore so we stopped... plus it wasn't working so no hard feelings about it...(I've heard that 2 weeks is the limit per attempt of the "cry it out" method and if the baby doesn't get used to it then try again at a later date.) We only made the one attempt.

We sing and rock and make funny faces, we hold him close and cuddle, rub his back, head, chest, dim the lights, etc...

We can be patient and try different things so we're open to solutions or suggestions. I'd rather be trying something new then not doing anything and having our little guy be unhappy when he should be looking forward to his little dreams <3

by on Sep. 28, 2012 at 7:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CoeyG
by on Sep. 28, 2012 at 8:17 PM

Abd how old is he?

Mom_to_Skyler
by on Sep. 28, 2012 at 8:44 PM

If he's between 6 and 12 months he likely needs two naps per day.  Try the 2-3-4 routine.  First nap 2 hours after waking.  Second nap 3 hours after getting up from first nap.  Bedtime 4 hours after waking from second nap.

Both of my kids settled into this pattern naturally.  However, babies don't like to sleep.  The only people I know that LOOK FORWARD to bedtime or naps are adults.

He sounds completely normal.  The CIO may not have helped and may be the reason he's freaking out right now.  He's terrified you'll abandon him.

mom2the.rescue
by Member on Sep. 28, 2012 at 9:14 PM

When you're tense or worried the baby won't sleep...they won't.  If you're relaxed and could use a nap yourself, if you'd love to climb in and sleep with them...there's a good chance they'll feel that and fall asleep.

SuzieMoore
by on Sep. 28, 2012 at 11:06 PM

Quoting CoeyG:

Abd how old is he?

He will be 1 year on Oct. 3

SuzieMoore
by on Sep. 28, 2012 at 11:10 PM

Quoting Mom_to_Skyler:

If he's between 6 and 12 months he likely needs two naps per day.  Try the 2-3-4 routine.  First nap 2 hours after waking.  Second nap 3 hours after getting up from first nap.  Bedtime 4 hours after waking from second nap.

Both of my kids settled into this pattern naturally.  However, babies don't like to sleep.  The only people I know that LOOK FORWARD to bedtime or naps are adults.

He sounds completely normal.  The CIO may not have helped and may be the reason he's freaking out right now.  He's terrified you'll abandon him.

Ya, thats sounds like a great idea to try. And we tried the CIO thing after his tantrums began and we would always sit in the room or in the doorway so that he wouldnt feel scared or abandoned... I cant imagine it helped tho, that was the hardest thing ive ever done!

DarlaHood
by on Sep. 29, 2012 at 1:21 PM

What I would suggest is making a little quiet place, maybe with a bean bag or some comfy blankets and pillows in a corner.  Have a time in the day where we have quiet time and just rest our bodies.  Read to him, have head phones and maybe some tag books or recorded books that he can listen to with the headphones on if he wants to.  Or music.  Anything that he can do while being more quiet and resting.  But make it fun.  Kids love tents and forts.  So you could even put a curtain rod across the corner and make him a litlle place of his own.  Whatever he likes.  Then if he falls asleep, let him rest there.  If he doesn't, let him try again later.  Sometimes kids will just go to a place like that when they're tired if they like it.

Oh - and I forgot to say, keep it near where people are.  They don't like to be totally separated off in another room. 

marisab
by on Sep. 29, 2012 at 1:54 PM

hE SOUNDS SENSORY AND MAYBE HAVING PROBLEMS PROCESSING HIS ENVIRONMENT.PLEASE SEEK ADVICE OF HIS PED

CoeyG
by on Sep. 29, 2012 at 2:17 PM

Sounds like he is ready to give up a nap.  Try keeping him up an hour or so past his first nap then put him down for a nap.  Then get him up after about an hour, hour and half and keep him up until bedtime which should be around 7:30  

yperez0209
by on Sep. 29, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Is it really worth the fight? Skip the nap. If he gets really "over tired" take him out for a ride. When my boys get over tired it's real hard to deal with because they don't want to settle down. The car ride usually makes my kids fall asleep. Of course you can't do that all the time.  It sounds like a phase. Eventually his body will get use to not needing the nap, the real problem is the fits he's throwing. 

I will tell you though, my kids nap well into there two's sometimes there even three yrs. old and nap. It depends on the child. But at age one my little ones have always napped. Even in pre k 4 the teachers put the kids down in the afternoon. But with what you have described I would skip it.

Just keep an eye out that he doesn't display the same behavors in other situations. Aside from the nap thing the way he's acting is not ok. When he bites and arches his back, or pulls his hair, I would tell him "no" and hold his hands...not to hurt him but to help him understand that's not ok. If he's doing this when your putting him down to nap it's a matter of time before he's doing it in other situations. Maybe you may not agree with my technique, I'm just trying to give you an example, but definitely seek the advice of his pediatrician on how to stop this now. I'm sure when you explain what  you wrote here to the doctor he also advise you on the whole nap issue.

LindaClement
by on Sep. 29, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Where is the nap to take place? Can he sleep across your lap on the couch? It may be that the associations with the nap + the place creates a totally overwhelming collection of powerful emotions and fears in your little guy...

In general, recommendations for healthy sleep insist that 'making the sleeping space peaceful and low-key' is vital. People can only fall asleep when they feel safe, and any associations with struggle or danger or fear will impede healthy sleep.

Things like cry-it-out, for example.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)