Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

I need help!!! Daughter in kindergarten.

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2012 at 10:03 PM
  • 36 Replies
My daughter is in kindergarten and she just told us tonight that a boy in her class showed her his "weinie." we haven't even had a talk about that yet. I know that they are just in kindergarten, but this scares me. What's next? This day in age you never know what they are going to come home saying or doing. I don't know what to do? I need help! I have two more daughters after this one. Thanks!
by on Sep. 28, 2012 at 10:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
3boysngirl
by Member on Sep. 28, 2012 at 10:17 PM
Explain stuff to her in a friendly matter of course and talk to the teacher about it. Kids do crazy stuff always does
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
robyann
by on Sep. 28, 2012 at 10:20 PM

I would talk to her and tell her this was a bad thing that boy did. That is a private thing...etc......I would contact the teacher and make her aware. I'd wonder how they were alone enough for him to do this.......

freshmom88
by on Sep. 28, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Quoting robyann:

I would talk to her and tell her this was a bad thing that boy did. That is a private thing...etc......I would contact the teacher and make her aware. I'd wonder how they were alone enough for him to do this.......

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SexyTeacher
by Gold Member on Sep. 29, 2012 at 12:32 AM

It is a normal thing for kids to do. When I was in kindergarten a boy showed me his "weenie" I should him my private area. It took about 20 seconds and nobody else saw it. Just tell her that you should not do things like that in public. I wouldn't worry or be too concerned unless it continues. That could indicate problems in the home.

alexis_06
by AnnaLisa on Sep. 29, 2012 at 12:35 AM
1 mom liked this

i would just tell her that the boy did something he shouldnt of done.  i wouldnt worry about it, unless it was to happen often....and i would let the teacher know as well, just so he/she can keep an eye out for it to happen again.

love-my-tween
by on Sep. 29, 2012 at 12:41 AM
1 mom liked this

As others have suggested, absolutely let her teacher know!  I wouldn't make a big deal out of it to your daughter except for telling her that people should keep their private parts private.   

DarlaHood
by on Sep. 29, 2012 at 1:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Personally, I wouldn't even label it as "bad" or anything.  At 5, it is NOT sexual, and it is normal for kids to be curious.  I would just explain to her that in our family, we these areas are private.  Explain what private means, and let her know that only mommy and daddy (and sisters) can see privates - and that is in your own home during bath time or when you're changing.

You do want to teach her appropriate behavior, but you don't want her to have a feeling that private parts are to be associated with anything bad!!

It is never too young to start speaking to your kids about the idea that if ANYONE touches them in those places and makes them feel uncomfortable, they should talk to you about it.  And also that it is o.k. that she tell ANYONE - even you- to stop.  Even if you had to look because of a rash or other problem, she can practice telling you, I don't like that.  It's uncomfortable.  Stop.  And you can say, O.K.  or you can say, I just need to look because of this rash, and then I'll stop.  I won't hurt you.  But it's so great that you told me!!

I personally would tell her if the boy does it again to tell the teacher immediately, but I wouldn't make a huge deal of it.  You might mention it to his mom, and ask her to please have a talk with him.

DarlaHood
by on Sep. 29, 2012 at 1:16 PM
1 mom liked this

I get what you're saying, but I would be careful with the word "bad" because kids sometimes are so black and white in their thinking, and the may start to make associations between genitals and "bad".  Just my opinion.

Quoting robyann:

marisab
by on Sep. 29, 2012 at 1:21 PM

ONE GET MORE INFO OF EXACTLY W2HAT SHE WAS SHOWN AN DTHEN CALL AND TALK TO SCHOOL SHOULD BE BETTER SUPERVISION THEN THAT

Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Sep. 29, 2012 at 1:23 PM

How did that happen in school? I would be talking to the teacher, then if she doesn't seem concerned I would be talking to the principle. I don't even see how this could happen unless the teacher wasn't with her class or they weren't being supervised at recess. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)