Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

I can't even pee with the door closed!!!

Posted by   + Show Post

So I spend all day every day with my 15 month old. I am a sahm so he does not go to daycare. He is having some serious seperation anxiety! I can't leave a room for a second without him getting upset! Is he just spoiled to being with me? Should I just let him cry? Any advice for a mom who is quite frustrated???

by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:01 PM
Replies (11-20):
tjane3000
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Same boat! My son is also 15mo, i'm sahm as well, and no i cannot pee by myself either. lol I really think it is just a phase and it doesn't bother me all the time, but there are moments! When i go to the potty he comes with me and sits on his potty so i think its kind of a good precurser to potty training. They are so curious at this age. He does have a bit of seperation anxiety but most kids do at this age i think. While he wants me now I'm going to take it because pretty soon he is not going to want his mamma anymore, but yes, It would be nice to pee ALONE LOL. Sometimes I do just let him stand outside and cry. I don't think there is anything wrong with teaching boundries. You will make the right decision for you!

robyann
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 11:00 AM

This is about the age they go through seperation anxiety. They now realize they are not a part of your body, and when they don't see you they get nervous. Just assure him where you are, leave the door open when you pee for now so he can find you and see you. Sadly, you may not pee with the door closed for quite awhile, lol, and when you do you'll have someone at the door knocking and sticking little fingers under the door...then when they learn to write alittle, they just might stick little notes for you under the door, mine did, lol.

georgeisfun
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 11:13 AM

My daughter was like this, and still is like this sometimes. I would just try my best to get her distracted with something she really enjoyed so I could sneak to the bathroom without her noticing. If I did a good enough job of distracting her sometimes I could even go to the kitchen and wash some dishes before she realized she was "alone" and came to find me.

It won't hurt him to cry for two minutes while you take care of a physical necessity.

savingtheworld
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 8:54 PM
I baby sit my niece who is 11 months old..an o my goodness she does the same thing! Iv almost broke her of it, but she does the same thing to her mom when she comes to pick her up..I'm sorry but I let her cry..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CoeyG
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 10:04 PM

He heeds social interaction.  Put him in day care for a couple of hours a couple days a week.  You will get a break and he will have other kids to play with. i

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Oct. 5, 2012 at 11:13 PM
Man I'm so lucky. Neither of my kids did that.

I mean, even now they might walk in- I don't close the doors when I toilet or shower if we're home alone- but they never cried if I said privacy please.

It will pass. Maybe just don't shut the doors? Idk.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AM-BRAT
by Amber on Oct. 5, 2012 at 11:14 PM
2 moms liked this
Daycare for a 15 mo and sahm?

Come on. You have better advice than that.

Quoting CoeyG:

He heeds social interaction.  Put him in day care for a couple of hours a couple days a week.  You will get a break and he will have other kids to play with. i

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mistygirl
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 8:52 AM

My two year old just went through this stage, it will pass. Now my little guy gets upset sometimes if I leave but he is now getting more comfortable with me leaving. For a bit there he was latched on. Hang in there this will pass.

TinkFL
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 9:03 AM
2 moms liked this
Lol all I ever see CoeyG do is put her "devil's-advocate" two cents in! She has a post on just about every thread I open, and her comments are invariably contrary to the advice of everyone else. I'd think by now she'd be tired of trolling moms looking for advice!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
missretro13
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 9:14 AM

I share you frustration. I have a 3 1/2 year old and a 1 1/2 year old and I swear that they have a 6th sense that tells them that mom is about to go to the bathroom. I have come to realize that this is why mom's have no problems with just peeing with the door open at random times. I used to get so grossed out when my mom did that and now I understand why. You get so used to them opening the door when you get in there that you just get used to not even shutting the door. I don't mind, MOST OF THE TIME, but there is always that 5 days of the month that I am like "really, you are two little boys, do you REALLY want to see this?!?!"

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)