Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

I can't even pee with the door closed!!!

Posted by   + Show Post

So I spend all day every day with my 15 month old. I am a sahm so he does not go to daycare. He is having some serious seperation anxiety! I can't leave a room for a second without him getting upset! Is he just spoiled to being with me? Should I just let him cry? Any advice for a mom who is quite frustrated???

by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:01 PM
Replies (111-120):
Bleacheddecay
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 8:25 PM

LOL. My kids got it sooner than that. Now the cats on the other hand never have!

Quoting Rooobeee:

LOL No it won't. My kids were notorious for knocking on the bathroom door whenever they needed something. It didn't matter if I was on the toilet or in the shower. They finally got the hint 2 years ago that Mom deserves privacy too. How old were they? Ten years, 12 years, and 16 years old.

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

This is normal and it will pass. Be patient. *hugs*

deadriansmommy
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:51 PM

My son is almost 15 months old and I have been going through this too. Sometimes he stops doing it so hopefully it passes soon!

TerriAnne2606
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:55 AM

I don't think it has anything to do with you being a SAHM - I work all day so my youngest is in daycare (the older ones are out of the house) and I still cannot pee without her tagging along when we are home.  And heaven forbid I actually shut the door.  Total meltdown.  It will pass!!  Eventually.  (the older ones no longer follow me into the bathroom so I KNOW is does pass - just cannot seem to remember when.)

I've actually snuck into the bathroom when DD (the youngest) was completely occupied in the other room - but she's got this knack for knowing when I'm in there and soon comes to find me (haha - I didn't realize I was lost).  Hang in there - soon you'll be wondering what he's up to because he didn't follow you - that'll worry you even more.  :)

IntactivistMama
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:24 AM

My son hates it if I close the door as well. I do it anyway. I give him something to eat/drink or a toy to try to distract him.

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:17 AM

I only shut the door o n my kids whe my husband is home. My door is almost always open.

I miss privacy.

3rd2bedue
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:21 AM

That is a phase I think every child goes through and it might last a long time so be ready for it! Don't be upset, your child is just trying to understand object (ppl included) permanence. So when you leave it makes them fear you'll be forever gone! It is not a spoiled or not spoiled thing, its a growing up as a regular child and coming to understand the world around them kinda thing!~^_^~ Be patient with this, your child loves you and there is not much a greater gift in the whole world to be had! ^_^ 

justahousewife
by Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Just a phase. Enjoy it while it lasts.

srbeusk
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:55 PM
Just think, before you know it, the kids'll leave the nest and you'll miss this. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
barefootmommi
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:55 PM
I wouldn't let him cry n cry but letting him cry for short time while you go get a drink or go pee and come immediately back will show him that you come back after you leave n may gradually improve even the most independent kids tend to get clingy around that age.
dfcinnamon
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 3:03 PM

Leave the door open for him to come and go when you are in the bathroom.  Take him to a daycare for a little while, after a bit he will realize the crying and temper fits aren't working anymore.  He will quit doing this.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)