Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I can't even pee with the door closed!!!

Posted by   + Show Post

So I spend all day every day with my 15 month old. I am a sahm so he does not go to daycare. He is having some serious seperation anxiety! I can't leave a room for a second without him getting upset! Is he just spoiled to being with me? Should I just let him cry? Any advice for a mom who is quite frustrated???

by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:01 PM
Replies (81-90):
cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:15 PM

My son is 7 and still tries bugging me while I pee *sigh*

azeventdiva
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:23 PM

Hehe, welcome to motherhood ;)

With 4 kids in the house, I only get bathroom privacy if I lock the door. And then I still get the banging and screaming by someone at some point (especially if I'm in the shower).

MotherOF5Cuties
by Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:29 PM
My 4 & 2 yr olds they always running to the bathroom with me. Its like damn wth? Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mayalu
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:30 PM
1 mom liked this

No. Do not just let him cry. There are many studies that show the effects of a baby left to cry for a period of time is very bad to the brain. Not to mention it your baby is like mine it can result in choking and vomit. He can cry while you use the bathroom or pour something to drink etc. If you are in the middle of something it's ok if he cries for a minute, but not responding to his cries will only do harm.

He is NOT spoiled. Separation anxiety is normal for this age. It very well could be that he is high needs as well. High needs is not a scary disease or something, lol it just means the baby is more sensitive and more needy than others. Needs more attention etc. These babies when cared for well often grow up to be leaders and strong independant ppl. If he needs you to hold him, hold him as much as you can. He is not spoiled, anyone who tells you that is insensitive to the different needs of babies. Not all babies are the same. Not responding to his cries will only teach him he can not trust you and that there is no point in coming to you when he needs you because you wont be there. :(

It's rough, I know. My son is high needs and I am a sahm, DH works out of town so it's just me all the time. I know how you feel! Try to stay calm. I try to make things fun like singing from the bathroom, I play peek-a-boo with him when I'm in the kitchen getting food, stuff like that and it usually helps.

also could his teeth be bothering him? Mine goes totally crazy when his teeth are hurting. I found that Hyland's teething tablets work wonders for his screaming and needing to constantly be held. They are all natural and you can give them often. I also found that if I am only giving him half attention, say I'm on the computer or cleaning or something, still talking and responding to him but also doing something else, if he starts to go nuts, if I take a few minutes and give him my undevided attention, play, read, whatever, he will be much more calm the rest of the day. Just try to calmly think, "what is it he needs? What can I do to make him feel better?"

Remember that if you feel frustrated or stressed your baby will pick that up from you and only cry more. Try your best to remain calm and if you feel you might lose it, it is totally ok to set him in a safe place for a few minutes while you collect yourself  if there is no one around to help. You can go away for a couple min, calm down and start over when you come back. Hang in there, it won't last forever.

Cate1129
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:35 PM
Thank you! I had NO intention of putting my child in daycare! Lol He gets plenty of social interaction at church and play groups!

Quoting Venae:

Yes, let him cry.  It won't kill him.  It's just a phase he's going through.  Don't let anyone tell you to put him in daycare to get him over it either - children are supposed to be w/a parent.  He will get over the separation anxiety, I promise!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.betty.white.
by Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:38 PM
This is normal. Although many wont agree I would rather pee with the door open than listen to my kid cry mostly because that stresses me out more. My son is now 5 and well adjusted :) that is a normal thing with a kid :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LucyHarper
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:42 PM

He's just used to being with you all the time, these things are just something he will have to get used to. Just go to the bathroom, its okay if he cries for a minute, in time he will get used to it. In another year, start leaving him with a trusted family member or friend for a couple hours, so he gets used to being away from you so he won't completely flip come kindergarten.

almondpigeon
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:47 PM

I have 3 little ones that do that!  When they open the bathroom door, I say, "close the door, mommy is trying to pee"...then they COME IN THE BATHROOM & CLOSE THE DOOR.  for all of our sakes, i hope it gets better!

azmar78
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:58 PM
I know the fact I sometimes used a babysitter and went to the gym (so my son played in their clubhouse) helped home relieve some of his anxiety. He now is 3 and is great with me leaving him ESP at preschool. My 3 year old nephew, who has 3 other siblings, still cries everyday at preschool. His mom never left him anywhere til he started school so it made it really hard.
Unicorn1110
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 11:13 PM

First my husband, than my kids now my dogs and soon my grandkids. As long as your a mom it's gonna happen.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured