Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

PLEASE HELP. Son's middle school parents are loaded, but me..not so much

Posted by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 11:02 PM
  • 24 Replies

Hi Everyone,

I really your help with this  one.  My son got into a very expensive private middle school with a very generous grant from the school.  I'm grateful but I am unemployed and all the moms there are either lawyers and doctors, or enterprenuers or wives of such people.  I want to fit in, but feel awkward every time I meet them and am always thinking about the fact that they all seem like a sorority that are best friends.  That's one issue.  The other issue is that it occured to me that these people could be potential leads to jobs available at their firms, business etc.

Question is.  Would it be appropriate for me to approach them about job leads being that I am a new mom at the school and I don't yet know them well enough. and b) if it were appropriate, how to go about it.  I definitely don't want to do something that will alianate me further from fitting in.

Any thoughts would be GREATLY APPRECIATE IT!!

Amy (mom of Daniel 11, Ollie 3, Molly 3)

by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 11:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 11:07 PM

I wouldn't ask them about jobs, it would be kind of weird. If you're talking to them and they ask what you do I would explain that you're looking for a job because xyz happened at your last job and you haven;t found anything yet. Once the other parents are cofortable with you they may begin telling you about job openings.

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Oct. 5, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Quoting cjsmom1:

I wouldn't ask them about jobs, it would be kind of weird. If you're talking to them and they ask what you do I would explain that you're looking for a job because xyz happened at your last job and you haven;t found anything yet. Once the other parents are cofortable with you they may begin telling you about job openings.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AM-BRAT
by Amber on Oct. 5, 2012 at 11:08 PM
Your kids are Ollie and Molly?! Love it!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alexsmomaubrys2
by Silver Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 11:09 PM

What do you do for a living?

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 11:12 PM
1 mom liked this

I would not approach them directly about a job.  That would seem like you want to use them rather than be friends with the other parents.  Make sure you are put together every school event or any time you are around them.  You dont have to have brand name clothing but nice classical pieces will be good.

PINKmyfavcolor
by Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 12:37 PM

I agree with this. Good luck!

Quoting cjsmom1:

t4w
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Goodwill is actually an amazing place to shop for classy, unique and CHEAP clothes!

I agree with the others, to be 'put together' every time you are in their presence. It might help your confidence in 'fitting in', too!

Bring other topics to conversation first...Good luck! congrats for your son!

mom2ljh
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:36 PM
No, it would be appropriate. I do COMPLETELY understand where you're coming from though. We are in the same boat. I'm a shift leader in a bowling center and DH is enlisted in the Coast Guard. DS is in kindergarten in a great college prep school, thanks to a nearly 50% scholarship. We make the sacrifices necessary for him to attend, but that means living in a townhouse in a very poor city, working suicidal hours to be able to pay our portion, etc., but we have NOTHING in common without of these parents and its hard.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
robyann
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 7:52 AM

I agree with the other mom's, don't think you should bring up the job thing until at least you get to know them better. Just attend every school function and be friendly to them. Be convident they are just people, dont let yourself feel inferior to them. Your son make pick up on that and start to feel that way around his classmates.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:20 AM

Quoting cjsmom1:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)