Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Am I a "different" mom?

Posted by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 12:52 PM
  • 7 Replies

I am divorced from my first husband. I am remarried and so is he. My ex and I had 1 child together...a daughter age 14. Ex and his wife have a 2 year old son together. We ALL get along really well. When dd's little brother was born I drove from SC to NC so she could see him a few days after he was born. I was not jealous or upset I was excited! Also dd is very independent and always has been. She does things on her own without my or her father's constant supervision. She respects her step-parents and listens to them like she does to us-which for a 14 year old that means she listens but doesn't actually "do" what we say LOL!  I see a lot of moms post theyare constantly "watching" their children. Am I different because I have never done that?

by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 12:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
SouthTxPrincess
by Silver Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 12:59 PM
When my mom and dad divorced it was the same, they will sleep in the same house when we are all together, we do family vacations still, I think its great that they maintain a good relationship with each other it makes it easier on us kids even though I'm a adult now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JasonsMom2007
by Platinum Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 1:04 PM

I know a few moms like that but honestly, I don't think there is a "norm" when it comes to moms.  I'm a homeschooling, cloth diapering, non-vaccinating mom.  We don't do sugar at all (not even high sugar fruits), gluten, yeast, preservatives/artificial ingredients, etc.  So I am way different than most moms too.  But that's ok.  Whatever works for you family :)

CoeyG
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 7:19 PM

Yes you are a little bit different but I'm sort of like you.  My ex and I have both moved on with our lives and now our daughter is an adult.  But when we split we agreed on how she was going to be raised as far as discipline and the rules in my house were the same at dad's house so she couldn't play us aginst each other.  If she needed something extra and I couldn't afford it he always came through.  He was late only once with the child support and that was because he was helping with his grandfather's funeral arrangments and it slipped his mind...Like I could get pissed about that.  I got it a week late, no big deal.  You and your ex have done your kids a great favor by keeping things as they are.  Different yes, better for the kids definately. 

SexyTeacher
by Gold Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 3:02 AM

Well, neither of us pays child support so that has never been a problem. Even when I lived in SC. DD stayed with her dad and visited with me. He never even bought up support even though he had every right to do so.

elzmnsf
by Bronze Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 3:11 AM
I think, if you two have found a way to be coparents, and get along and do what's best for your kid, then screw being thought of as different. If that is different , which it seems to be, I wish that was the norm!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Aqua_Jen
by Bronze Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 3:32 AM
It sounds like you guys are setting a great example for your daughter. Just because you guys couldn't make the marriage work, there is no reason to be negative and bitter about the whole thing. Your daughter will most likely thank you when she's older.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jakesmom323
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 4:12 AM
I think it's very healthy and great co parenting. It means you don't have drama or issues that weren't resolved with your ex and you've moved on. Very healthy situation for your daughter and you:) Congrats.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)