Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

runny stuffy nose, warm body 13 mos

Posted by   + Show Post
Hi everyone. My son is 13 months and he's never even had the slightest fever before, no cold, allergies, sinuses, nothing. Never. I've also read up on anything and everything cold related since I was preg so that I'd be prepared. But now for some reason I'm stumbling over what I read and what to do. I haven't checked his temp yet because he seems like he's almost back to sleep and I do NOT want to wake him, but if he doesn't fall back asleep ill be taking it . His nose is very stuffy and runny and he keeps waking himself up because his nose is so stuffy and loud and draining down his throat. He hasn't napped all day which is completely unusual for him, he didn't nap yesterday either. He always naps. I'm worried cuz I've never been through this before.

Tried using the boogie sucker but he hates it and won't keep still, even when i got it in there a couple times, there's still so much left that it'd take an hour of sucking to get all the wet boogies out and he'd never sit through that. We have a dehumidifier too so should I use that? Hot steamy shower?
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 8:35 PM
Replies (11-15):
signingmama2915
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 2:17 PM

Do the hot steamy shower, get baby vics vapor rub and use it on him at night and when you try to nap him. Use the dehumidifier and see if he will stay on a pilow proped up at night. Maybe try little noses sailne spray and I know you said he hates the sucker thing but if the other things don't work you may have t o use it with the saline spray.

marisab
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 4:14 PM

aslong a she doesnt have a fever then just kepe him hydrated,use a humidifier in his room and let him rest

LindaClement
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:11 AM

I always thought those nasal suckers were revolting (I mean, seriously --do you just throw it out after you've used it? Gag!)

Rest and fluids are the main treatment for headcolds and flu, in people of any age. Make sure he stays well-hydrated, with a source of salt (pickles, cheese, olives, whatever he likes, really) to keep the fluid in... the more fluid he retains, the looser his mucus will be. It can also help with the congestion (which is swollen tissues, NOT snot, so it can't be removed by any mechanical means --not blowing, or sucking).

Sage can dry sinuses... so if you happen to be planning on having stuffing with dinner, soon... or chicken soup with some added. You don't need much --no more than you would normally use.

kirbymom
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:25 PM

I so agree with this poster on all accounts. You may also want to have his sleeping area a little cooler when he sleeps. The reason being, is that too much warm air swells the nasal passages and making it harder to breathe thereby the noise you hear when he takes a breath in. That is also the reason for the motrin. The motrin will relax him which in turn will relax all muscles and his swelled passages making the flow of blood, fluid and air much more smoothly. Now the reason for the tylenol is is you are not supposed to give mptrin for another 5 hours and sometimes you need to give the medicine again before that time is up. So you may medicate with the tylenol in between each time period that you are supposed to give the required medicine.   

I hope your little one gets to feeling better soon.  :) 

Quoting xoxRachelxox:

You want to use a humidifier not a dehumidifer. You want the warm mist, a dehumidifier will do the opposite and take the moisture out of the air.

I would also try to prop his head up a little. You should check his temp the next time he wakes up.

I wouldn't bother with the nose sucker. Those always just pissed my kids off more. Just wipe his nose when it runs.

If he has a temp, I would give Motrin and then alternate with Tylenol. I notice with all three of my kids that I need to rotate between the two because the same one wouldn't work well the second time.

I hope he feels better soon! Poor thing. I hate when kids get sick.

undefined

startupscafe
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 10:52 PM

Set up a humidifier.  It works so much better than Nyquil or anything else!  I used it on my son when he was a baby, at the advise of a German doctor (in the U.S.) and I did what she said!  She demanded I use the humidifier!  It worked excellently!  Be sure to keep the steam flowing in the baby's direction, and keep the room closed up.  Use eucalyptus oil in the reservoir of the humidifier.  For a fever, the best thing is to place your baby in tepid water in a bath to cool the baby down.  Tylenol will wreak havoc on the liver.  This tepid warm cool-down is much safer.

I also used this on my cat when she had pneumonia.  I closed her up in the bathroom with it and she was good to go in about 4 days.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN