Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home ear infection remedies

Posted by   + Show Post
My 5 year old is complaining of an ear ache and is coughing And has a runny nose. If course it's Sunday and dr office is closed. Iv tried olive oil and hydrogen peroxide (separately)plus Motrin. Anything else I can do for him?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:01 AM
Replies (11-20):
glynch
by Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 6:02 PM

I just use them this morning for my ear, I've been sick for the past week and woke up yesterday with my ear hurting.  Not hurting now works everything. 

Quoting Mother_ofTwo:

This! My dad and other family members would do this all the time and it would help a lot with the pain

Quoting pookster54:

My go-to when my boys have earaches is an ear candle. Now, I know that people don't always have ear candles laying around, but you can make your own. I roll a newspaper up tightly, with one end smaller so it can fit in the ear. Then, you light it on fire and let it burn for a bit. I know it may sound like a joke, but I promise it's not! It creates a good, dry suction to help pull the bad stuff out of there. Obviously you only burn it about halfway down so it doesn't burn their head, but my kids always feel better afterwards. That combined with some Motrin or Tylenol does the trick. I don't even treat ear infections with antibiotics because this method keeps them comfortable for the duration until the infection goes away on its own. Good luck!

Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Oct. 7, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Do you lactate? I put breastmilk in my DD's ear for earaches when she was tiny. And I just let her body fight the infection. 

AleaKat
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 7:49 PM
He is 5 and no my well has been dry for 2 years now

Quoting Mommy2justone:

Do you lactate? I put breastmilk in my DD's ear for earaches when she was tiny. And I just let her body fight the infection. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stacy2607
by Bronze Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 7:55 PM
I know she said she has been dried up for a couple years now.. But this does work.. I lactate because I nurse my 7 month old DD and I have been having a throbbing ear ache for days now so yesterday I hand expressed some breast milk into a cup and used a dropper and put some in my ear a few times yesterday and a couple times this morning and starting this afternoon I haven't had any throbbing pain.. I also did this for my 3 yr old DD a couple months ago and it helped her also.

Quoting Mommy2justone:

CafeMom Tickers
sktrowb
by Steph on Oct. 7, 2012 at 7:59 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh this would have been so nice to have known.

Quoting stacy2607:

I know she said she has been dried up for a couple years now.. But this does work.. I lactate because I nurse my 7 month old DD and I have been having a throbbing ear ache for days now so yesterday I hand expressed some breast milk into a cup and used a dropper and put some in my ear a few times yesterday and a couple times this morning and starting this afternoon I haven't had any throbbing pain.. I also did this for my 3 yr old DD a couple months ago and it helped her also.

Quoting Mommy2justone:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sktrowb
by Steph on Oct. 7, 2012 at 8:00 PM
My mom used to always run the tub with a good warm bath and let us lay in it as long as we wanted. The warm water always seemed to make the ear ache feel better.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
crwspringer
by Silver Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 8:01 PM
If you have fluid behind the eardrum wouldnt that break the eardrum?

Quoting pookster54:

My go-to when my boys have earaches is an ear candle. Now, I know that people don't always have ear candles laying around, but you can make your own. I roll a newspaper up tightly, with one end smaller so it can fit in the ear. Then, you light it on fire and let it burn for a bit. I know it may sound like a joke, but I promise it's not! It creates a good, dry suction to help pull the bad stuff out of there. Obviously you only burn it about halfway down so it doesn't burn their head, but my kids always feel better afterwards. That combined with some Motrin or Tylenol does the trick. I don't even treat ear infections with antibiotics because this method keeps them comfortable for the duration until the infection goes away on its own. Good luck!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabpaige
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:44 PM

IDK if this has been posted yet.. BUT

Take a pop bottle like a 2liter and fill it with HOT water, wrap it up and have him lay on it with the bad ear against the heat! I remember doing it when I was a kid... never done it with my own though.. 

Hope he feels better soon!

CoeyG
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:49 PM

Quoting AleaKat:

Why would the oil make it worse. Iv seen at least 5 reputable medical websites that suggest it. No ER just needed something to help until tomorrow .

Quoting CoeyG:

If she has an ear infection the olive oil only made it worse and all peroxide is going to do is remove wax, not prevent the infection that is already there.  It would have been better if you left it alone, but now you can try a heating pad to help with the pain if the pain gets worse maybe a trip to the ER for an antibiotic. 

Having grown up on ear infecitons anything in the ear that doesn't belong in the ear is trouble.  Olive oil doesn't belong in the ear.  Peroxide again is only a cleaning agent it won't hurt but olive oil?  Mineral oill maybe but I certainly wouldn't use oilive oil...except in cooking.  There are a lot of things people put into their ears but that doesn't mean they are good for the ears.  As a mom concerned about my child's hearing health, if I suspected my kid had an ear infection and I couldn't get to the doctor, I'd be at the ER.  

smurfyangel
by Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:53 PM
I know I sound crazy but this always works for my earaches... put a little vicks vapor rub just inside ear followed by a cottonball
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured