Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Can you help me?

Posted by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 5:01 PM
  • 24 Replies
So my 3 1/2 year old is a amazing kid. He started talking around 9/10 months. Now at 3 1/2 he sounds more like a 8 year old. Ok so he's pretty good with counting numbers, he can count past 20 and he knows the abc song. But he can't recognize any letters nor can he write anything. When he colors he does nothing but scribble all over the place. Now his attention span is really short, and he is just not interested in learning them. He goes to school and according to the teacher, all the other kids are learning them, but my kid tells the teacher he rather plays. I don't know if he just isn't interested and will come around when he's ready or if he just has a problem? It's frustrating because we try to get him to trace letters and practice on the flash cards but its a fight and if he does do it, it's no more then 5 minutes. We read to him every night and he can tell you what's going on in the books but just isn't picking up what letters are what. He will shout out different letters if I ask him sometimes, but it's normally not the right one. Should I be worried or will he come around when he's ready? Also I have a 5 year old dd who had no problems whatsoever. So I try not to compare but it's hard.
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 5:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Fabulous24
by Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 5:14 PM
Anyone?
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Each child is different.   For writing it is more a fine motor skill as is drawing.  He may not be emotionally mature enough to sit still for lessons.  I am presuming they do alot of learning through play for this age, i hope.  You can always get him evaluated for any speech or motor delays.  My dd is very book smart and knew alot of things her classmates did not in kindergarten but she had issues with sitting still and the writing exercises.    

To encourage him to practice his writing skills, fill a shallow pan with sugar, salt or flour.  Allow him to use his fingers or a straw to write letters in it. 

Flash cards are very boring to a child and i dont blame them.   Perhaps try starfall.com with him so that he can see how exciting the letter sounds are.

Fabulous24
by Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 7:36 PM
Quoting frndlyfn:

Each child is different.   For writing it is more a fine motor skill as is drawing.  He may not be emotionally mature enough to sit still for lessons.  I am presuming they do alot of learning through play for this age, i hope.  You can always get him evaluated for any speech or motor delays.  My dd is very book smart and knew alot of things her classmates did not in kindergarten but she had issues with sitting still and the writing exercises.    

To encourage him to practice his writing skills, fill a shallow pan with sugar, salt or flour.  Allow him to use his fingers or a straw to write letters in it. 

Flash cards are very boring to a child and i dont blame them.   Perhaps try starfall.com with him so that he can see how exciting the letter sounds are.

thank you very much. I will def to take your suggestions.
robyann
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 8:03 PM
2 moms liked this

IMO he's still very young, he sounds very smart by what he's doing already. I wouldn't put so much pressure on him. I'm sure he'll come around. Is your 5 year old a girl or boy. Sometimes girls are quicker to pick up the writing and reading thing.

Fabulous24
by Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 8:11 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting robyann:

IMO he's still very young, he sounds very smart by what he's doing already. I wouldn't put so much pressure on him. I'm sure he'll come around. Is your 5 year old a girl or boy. Sometimes girls are quicker to pick up the writing and reading thing.

my 5 year old is a girl and yes I'm not going to put any pressure on him.
CoeyG
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:43 PM
4 moms liked this

He is three years old, not thirty.  He would rather play...that's a normal three year old.  He doesn't have a problem.  

love-my-tween
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:44 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with the others.  He's only three.  Let him be a child.  There's plenty of time for him to learn to draw his letters and color inside the lines.  He sounds like an intelligent child and he'll be fine.  He'll let you know when he's ready to "advance."  Best of luck to you!

Fabulous24
by Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:49 PM
Thanks ladies. I guess I needed some reassurance.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
piwife
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:56 PM
I have a 5 yr ol and a 3 yr old. My dd was writing and couning to 30 and readong some words by 3. My son he knows his shapes, colors and can count to 10. Now my son is a problem solver he can make 48 piece puzzles, he can solve other stuff something that at that age my dd couldn't do. Boys and girls develop different.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hopealways4019
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:33 AM
He only 3 dont rush him to learn quickly, he has plenty of time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)