Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Nook or Kindle for a kid?

Posted by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 6:13 PM
  • 21 Replies
My dd is 6 and reads like crazy. Of course I love getting her real books- but do you think she would benefit from an e-reader?

Some have color and picture page books right?

I don't know much about them. She could be careful, and reads second-third grade...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 6:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
brettsmomma
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 6:15 PM

My four year old has a kindle fire and he loves it! He has many many books new and his good ole favorites on there. I also was able to download all his preschool games on there for free. 

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 6:17 PM

Nook Color I would say is a good fit for a child.  DD loved my moms that she had and since i have the 1st generation one that mom gave me when she upgraded.  I have found many free childrens books to download as well as cute comics for beginning readers.  The first generation nook is only black and white colors so not very exciting and it has been discontinued (naturally).

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Oct. 7, 2012 at 6:17 PM
Interesting thanks!

I've been adamant in the past about kids and electronics but what a great way to have so many books.

Where do you get the books and how much?

Quoting brettsmomma:

My four year old has a kindle fire and he loves it! He has many many books new and his good ole favorites on there. I also was able to download all his preschool games on there for free. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AM-BRAT
by Amber on Oct. 7, 2012 at 6:17 PM
How much does the nook color cost?

Quoting frndlyfn:

Nook Color I would say is a good fit for a child.  DD loved my moms that she had and since i have the 1st generation one that mom gave me when she upgraded.  I have found many free childrens books to download as well as cute comics for beginning readers.  The first generation nook is only black and white colors so not very exciting and it has been discontinued (naturally).

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AM-BRAT
by Amber on Oct. 7, 2012 at 6:19 PM
Also is there a sturdy cover to get?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brettsmomma
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 6:19 PM
1 mom liked this

its run off of amazon.com I got many of his books for free witht he amazon prime free trial. I have never paid more the 3 bucks for a kids book. :)

Quoting AM-BRAT:

Interesting thanks!

I've been adamant in the past about kids and electronics but what a great way to have so many books.

Where do you get the books and how much?

Quoting brettsmomma:

-PB
by Gold Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 6:40 PM

My 3 year old plays with my kindle fire.  She has some books on there and a few games and videos.  Works out great if we go some place and have to wait and need entertainment (doc's office, bank, etc. you know how 3 year olds get bored easily). 

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Oct. 7, 2012 at 6:42 PM
I've pretty much already chosen xmas gifts so maybe next year...

Quoting -PB:

My 3 year old plays with my kindle fire.  She has some books on there and a few games and videos.  Works out great if we go some place and have to wait and need entertainment (doc's office, bank, etc. you know how 3 year olds get bored easily). 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KairisMama
by Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 6:43 PM
My kids love my Kindle Fire.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Gina_C
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 6:43 PM
I would recommend the kindle simply because the books are cheaper. And I have actually downloaded dozens of classic children's books on mine to read to Wyatt that were free :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN