Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Reiki

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:28 AM
  • 19 Replies
Does anyone here do it? Have you ever had it done on you?? What was your experience?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:30 AM

Nope, but it sounds interesting from my google search :)

marchantmom06
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:31 AM
Lol it is interesting!!

Quoting Mommy2justone:

Nope, but it sounds interesting from my google search :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bleacheddecay
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:24 AM

I don't believe in the supernatural so I'd never do this. I find the whole idea ridiculous and a bit creepy.

marchantmom06
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:47 AM
Wait supernatural?? Huh?

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

I don't believe in the supernatural so I'd never do this. I find the whole idea ridiculous and a bit creepy.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lapcounter
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:23 PM

LOL

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

lapcounter
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:24 PM

I was a massage therapist for three years, it never interested me nor did I like having it done.

marchantmom06
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:34 PM
Can I ask why?

Quoting lapcounter:

I was a massage therapist for three years, it never interested me nor did I like having it done.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lapcounter
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Too me it is not relaxing and it does not help with what I need it to. Plus when you do massages you get into a groove of things you like to do and that just wasn't one of the areas, that and hot stone massages, don't like giving or recieving those either.

Quoting marchantmom06:

Can I ask why?

Quoting lapcounter:

Bleacheddecay
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 4:32 PM

Yes. I know a woman who calls her Reiki person for help over the phone. This person also told her that spirits were hanging around her and performed something over the phone to make them go away. So she said anyway.

Also see this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reiki

Which says "

Reiki (霊気?, /ˈrk/) is a spiritual practice[1] developed in 1922 by Japanese Buddhist Mikao Usui, which has since been adapted by various teachers of varying traditions. It uses a technique commonly called palm healing or hands on healing as a form of complementary therapy and is sometimes classified as oriental medicine by some professional medical bodies.[2] Through the use of this technique, practitioners believe that they are transferring universal energy (i.e., reiki) in the form of qi (Japanese: ki) through the palms, which allows for self-healing and a state of equilibrium.[3]

There are two main branches of Reiki, commonly referred to as Traditional Japanese Reiki and Western Reiki. Though differences can be wide and varied between both branches and traditions, the primary difference is that Westernised forms use systematised hand-placements rather than relying on an intuitive sense of hand-positions (see below), which is commonly used by Japanese Reiki branches. Both branches commonly have a three-tiered hierarchy of degrees, usually referred to as the First, Second, and Master/Teacher level, all of which are associated with different skills and techniques.

The concept of ki underlying Reiki is speculative and there is no scientific evidence that it exists; a 2008 systematic review of randomised clinical trials concluded that "the evidence is insufficient to suggest that reiki is an effective treatment for any condition. Therefore the value of reiki remains unproven."[4] The American Cancer Society[5] and the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine[6] have also found that there is no clinical or scientific evidence supporting claims that Reiki is effective in the treatment of any illness." among other things.

And this one:

http://www.quackwatch.com/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/reiki.html

And many more links that describe the practices as unproven, having to do with "energy healing" and as being a traditional "spiritual" practice.

Quoting marchantmom06:

Wait supernatural?? Huh?

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

marchantmom06
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 5:20 PM
Praying To God is a "spiritual" practice and has never been proven to work, but it's not supernatural. Good try at reaching though.

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

Yes. I know a woman who calls her Reiki person for help over the phone. This person also told her that spirits were hanging around her and performed something over the phone to make them go away. So she said anyway.

Also see this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reiki

Which says "

Reiki (霊気?, /ˈrk/) is a spiritual practice[1] developed in 1922 by Japanese Buddhist Mikao Usui, which has since been adapted by various teachers of varying traditions. It uses a technique commonly called palm healing or hands on healing as a form of complementary therapy and is sometimes classified as oriental medicine by some professional medical bodies.[2] Through the use of this technique, practitioners believe that they are transferring universal energy (i.e., reiki) in the form of qi (Japanese: ki) through the palms, which allows for self-healing and a state of equilibrium.[3]

There are two main branches of Reiki, commonly referred to as Traditional Japanese Reiki and Western Reiki.
Though differences can be wide and varied between both branches and
traditions, the primary difference is that Westernised forms use
systematised hand-placements rather than relying on an intuitive sense
of hand-positions (see below), which is commonly used by Japanese Reiki branches. Both branches commonly have a three-tiered hierarchy of degrees,
usually referred to as the First, Second, and Master/Teacher level, all
of which are associated with different skills and techniques.

The concept of ki underlying Reiki is speculative and there is no scientific evidence that it exists; a 2008 systematic review of randomised clinical trials
concluded that "the evidence is insufficient to suggest that reiki is
an effective treatment for any condition. Therefore the value of reiki
remains unproven."[4] The American Cancer Society[5] and the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine[6]
have also found that there is no clinical or scientific evidence
supporting claims that Reiki is effective in the treatment of any
illness." among other things.

And this one:

http://www.quackwatch.com/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/reiki.html

And many more links that describe the practices as unproven, having to do with "energy healing" and as being a traditional "spiritual" practice.

Quoting marchantmom06:

Wait supernatural?? Huh?

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)