Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

A crockpot question, why do recipes call for browned meat?

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:53 AM
  • 17 Replies

I thought it was to enhance the flavor, so I skip the browning step, because I figure after 8 hours in the crockpot the difference wouldn't be noticeable. But is it to make the meat safer? 

by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
msparks80
by Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:55 AM
1 mom liked this
No it just sears in the juices for better flavor :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momof6nokc
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:55 AM

I think it's to hold in the juices.  My mom always sears/browns the meat and I never do.  LOL.  It drives her crazy :o)

Bmat
by Barb on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:57 AM

Oh I see. This might explain why mine comes out so dry.

Quoting msparks80:

Bmat
by Barb on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:58 AM

I don't like using the extra skillet and then having to wash it. But I guess if it does hold in the juices, maybe I should. 

Quoting momof6nokc:

I think it's to hold in the juices.  My mom always sears/browns the meat and I never do.  LOL.  It drives her crazy :o)

msparks80
by Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:30 AM
The only time I brown is for pot roast.

Quoting Bmat:

Oh I see. This might explain why mine comes out so dry.

Quoting msparks80:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
seaturtle1
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Browning seals in the juices and the crust you get is flavor. Also it takes a long time for the criock pot to heat up. So the raw meat sits in there at least 2 hours till it gets hot enough. Browning starts the cooking process so know one gets sick. My friends mom part boils her chicken before putting it in the crock pot. She is afraid of getting salmanila.

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:18 AM
1 mom liked this

You can also brown meat in advance and freeze it for future uses like in the crock pot or taco meat etc.

thanush
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:45 AM
When you brown the meat, don't let it sit on the same spot for too long. That will cook the meat instead if just browning. Once the meat is seared / browned, let it say on the same skillet for at least 5 minutes ( 15-20 is ideal) ( remember to place the skillet away from heat.) Never place the meat on wood etc surface. That will make it dry. Keeping it on the same skillet makes the juices absorbe well and result in tender juicy meat.
Meglet1970
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:11 PM

It also makes for a tastier gravy.

MamaJ8329
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:15 PM

When you make something in the crock pot, do you use broth or water? Some people just use water, but I normally make sure to use plenty of broth, it doesn't come out dry for me. Maybe you could try that rather than browning the meat if you haven't already? I don't brown the meat either, I didn't know why they say to do it and I didn't want to dirty an extra pan either lol :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN