Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

your stance on child support?

Do u think child support laws should b updated?
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:37 AM
Replies (21-30):
savingtheworld
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:34 AM
Yea its like the crappy ppl get out of paying an the good ones that do, get taken advantage of!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Chellie13
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:37 AM

In my state (MA) the Dept of Revenue takes care of child support enforcement.  I believe there is still an automatic update once a child hits 16y/o.  However, an order can be modified whenever there is a change of circumstances (loss/gain of job, new children in the mix, etc).  Also, if the mom is receiving state aid, they will push for the child support too (ex: to get Mass Health, as health insurance is required here and that is the state insurance).    All in all, it usually goes by non-custodial parent 's income, which can be hard if , like in my case, my ex worked "under the table" while on unemployment, and cried broke all the time.  I figured I couldn't draw blood from a stone, so I was getting very little until the end.

nuts4scouts
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Quoting savingtheworld:

He did..just went to court last month..he gets them 94 days out of the year? She makes 1200 a month an receives cs 800$ an welfare an tencare..an married?

Quoting AngeLnChainZ:

If he wants more time? Fight for it!, 

So, go back and fight some more.

He can fight for having them for the entire summer. He can even fight for full custody.

If he wants to simply settle for 94 days that is his call.

Also, since you mentioned "them", there is more than one child involved. 

$800 a month for 2 (or more?) kids is reasonable.

Yes, it is almost a house/car payment. Yes, it will cover a lot of groceries for a month.

Children are darned expensive to have around.

They eat like starved bears.

They outgrow clothes almost the minute you purchase them.

Health care is a major cost.

They need toys/books/etc to help them grow/learn.

If your husband does not want to contribute that much for his kids, then that is another thing for him to go back to court and fight for.

Perhaps the argument of more time with dad should equal less $$$ for mom, will make an impression on the court.

You need to find a good lawyer to help you.

savingtheworld
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:06 PM
Yes..I'm aware how much they cost..together my husband an I have 6 kids..one of them n college, o an we pay cash for that! An he pays insurance for he's 3 kids..an we have a college fund for all the kids..we don't make a lot of money, but we know how to budget..an he gets he's kids a month for summer, he fault for the 94 days he does get..an she still wines about not having enough! Good grief what does it take?

Quoting nuts4scouts:

Quoting savingtheworld:

He did..just went to court last month..he gets them 94 days out of the year? She makes 1200 a month an receives cs 800$ an welfare an tencare..an married?

Quoting AngeLnChainZ:

If he wants more time? Fight for it!, 

So, go back and fight some more.

He can fight for having them for the entire summer. He can even fight for full custody.

If he wants to simply settle for 94 days that is his call.

Also, since you mentioned "them", there is more than one child involved. 

$800 a month for 2 (or more?) kids is reasonable.

Yes, it is almost a house/car payment. Yes, it will cover a lot of groceries for a month.

Children are darned expensive to have around.

They eat like starved bears.

They outgrow clothes almost the minute you purchase them.

Health care is a major cost.

They need toys/books/etc to help them grow/learn.

If your husband does not want to contribute that much for his kids, then that is another thing for him to go back to court and fight for.

Perhaps the argument of more time with dad should equal less $$$ for mom, will make an impression on the court.

You need to find a good lawyer to help you.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CoeyG
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:13 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting chelsea1401:

My husband has a son from a previous relationship and he sends her 400 a month, which yes I know doesn't pay much for a kid these days... We get him every other weekend ( thats court ordered) she never packs him a bag with clothes, diapers or anything... so even though we send her all that money, were still having to buy him stuff he needs for here..  She also will drop him off on days when she has stuff to do or like when she went into labor we had him for a week and a half...  on another note she lives in gov't housing and on all kinds of welfare - so what she does with the money i dunno but I just dont think its fair... The courts are wanting to up his CS to over 600 if he keeps this 2nd job, It doesn't matter he has 2 other children at home to pay for on top of our bills...  It really pisses me off..

Gee imagine a father taking care of his child while the child's mother is giving brith, what is this world coming to?  Whether he paid child suypport or not you would still have to pay for clothing, diapers, food etc that he used in his father's home.  The money goes to pay for electricity, gas, water, sewer and garbage entertainment for the child, transportation (the child has to get to the doctor/daycare some way) as well as insurance for that transportation if she has a car.  Child support goes to pay for everything that touches that child's life.  You got involved with a guy who came with priorities and yes it is fair, first child comes first.  If you didn't want it to be that way you should not have become involved with him, yet you chose to do so.  It isn't his ex's or her child's fault that you chose to become involved with this guy.  

nuts4scouts
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:16 PM

Quote:

Quoting savingtheworld:

Good grief what does it take?

A better lawyer, and another trip to court.

savingtheworld
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:39 PM
I agree with that..but really I guess its none of my business, its its between my husband he's kids, an her..I was just asking bc I have an ex husband an 3 kids also..but we dont do child support..as long as the kids are taken care of..I just think its wrong ppl act like that over money..in these kinda situation..but if u have a baby daddy that stays on the run or won't hold a job, I do feel sorry for those mothers, an there usually the ones that have a full time job or may b two! An are in school! My hats off to those mothers!!

Quoting nuts4scouts:

Quote:

Quoting savingtheworld:

Good grief what does it take?

A better lawyer, and another trip to court.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
comptonkids
by Gold Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:45 PM
We are in Tx

They take a percentage from his pay, then that percentage is divided among all his children

We actually need to go back, cause we had another baby in 2012

Quoting chelsea1401:

It must be different from state to state.. where are you from.?  the judge even told nick it goes off what he makes yearly and nothing else... but I agree with you on the bills, they should take everything in to consider. 

Quoting comptonkids:

Actually it does matter

They take ALL kids into consideration

Not the bills though, which I think they should

Quoting chelsea1401:

My husband has a son from a previous relationship and he sends her 400 a month, which yes I know doesn't pay much for a kid these days... We get him every other weekend ( thats court ordered) she never packs him a bag with clothes, diapers or anything... so even though we send her all that money, were still having to buy him stuff he needs for here..  She also will drop him off on days when she has stuff to do or like when she went into labor we had him for a week and a half...  on another note she lives in gov't housing and on all kinds of welfare - so what she does with the money i dunno but I just dont think its fair... The courts are wanting to up his CS to over 600 if he keeps this 2nd job, It doesn't matter he has 2 other children at home to pay for on top of our bills...  It really pisses me off..

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:45 PM
Wow, she needs to get off her ass and support herself. I am sick of lazy ass people.

Quoting LuvMyBoy08:

Yes I think they need to be updated. My DH pays 1200 a month for two kids, which is not the bad part. His ex "claims" she can't work because her son won't let her because he's a trouble maker. She has no income coming in but yet can afford a brand new ford f-150, expensive cloths and shoes. But when we see the kids they dress like they are homeless, they never bring any hygiene products ect, so we go buy them cloths and products they need. I know in my heart she's living off of my DH's child support money for herself

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chelsea1401
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:47 PM

I know i stated that its not a lot when I posted the comment... But when he only brings in 1200 a month and they are wanting to take half of it for his one child when we have him the majority of the time it is.  especially when he has 2 more kids here at home on top of our house payment, and other bills.  and when she is getting this money and not working or trying to provide at all.

Quoting AngeLnChainZ:

$400 is nothing ... Just to point that out. It may seem like a lot when you are the one paying it out, but it isn't that way for the one receiving it.

Quoting chelsea1401:

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN