Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

your stance on child support?

Do u think child support laws should b updated?
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:37 AM
Replies (51-60):
mommie_x0x
by Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:37 PM
Some what I caught that drift from reading what you posted. First child comes first and all others after can have what's left is kind of what I got out of it.

Quoting CoeyG:

Quoting savingtheworld:

Exactly!! U saying the man doesn't deserve to move on an b re married bc he has kids?

Quoting CoeyG:

Quoting chelsea1401:

My husband has a son from a previous relationship and he sends her 400 a month, which yes I know doesn't pay much for a kid these days... We get him every other weekend ( thats court ordered) she never packs him a bag with clothes, diapers or anything... so even though we send her all that money, were still having to buy him stuff he needs for here..  She also will drop him off on days when she has stuff to do or like when she went into labor we had him for a week and a half...  on another note she lives in gov't housing and on all kinds of welfare - so what she does with the money i dunno but I just dont think its fair... The courts are wanting to up his CS to over 600 if he keeps this 2nd job, It doesn't matter he has 2 other children at home to pay for on top of our bills...  It really pisses me off..

Gee imagine a father taking care of his child while the child's mother is giving brith, what is this world coming to?  Whether he paid child suypport or not you would still have to pay for clothing, diapers, food etc that he used in his father's home.  The money goes to pay for electricity, gas, water, sewer and garbage entertainment for the child, transportation (the child has to get to the doctor/daycare some way) as well as insurance for that transportation if she has a car.  Child support goes to pay for everything that touches that child's life.  You got involved with a guy who came with priorities and yes it is fair, first child comes first.  If you didn't want it to be that way you should not have become involved with him, yet you chose to do so.  It isn't his ex's or her child's fault that you chose to become involved with this guy.  

Is that what I said?  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
countryfiedmama
by Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 7:17 AM
I have never heard of the courts trying to get more CS randomly like that. I was on PA at one point and only recieving $400 a month for two kids. I would LOVE to get a little more, but in order for that to happen, I would have to take him to court and petition for CS to be amended. Second of all, maybe if he just explains that his second job is only temporary they won't count it.
savingtheworld
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 8:44 AM
Good point...

Quoting robyann:

There's no law that can make an absent parent take care of their child if they don't want too. Sad, but true. The CS system is a mess, just like all the other systems set up to "help" families. There will always be parents who somehow get out of the whole child support thing. Then when they have other children it seems all the children suffer.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
joeysmommie07
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 8:48 AM
It's bs, my sons dad pays over 700 a month for 2 other kids and mine gets 0.... They don't always take the other kids into account in Virginia ( commonwealth state my a$$)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
savingtheworld
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 9:15 AM
Do u think they go after more men for child support then women?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tranla
by Elisabeth on Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:52 PM
I will hopefully never have to deal with child support, but from everything I've read about others dealing with it, the system needs a huge overhaul.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
marinewife55
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:07 PM
It sure isn't anywhere close to rent in California, 400 dollars is barely half of my daughters childcare for me to work to support my daughter. It all depends on where you live too. Not that I wanna get in the debate lol I think its bad on both sides, unfortunately if men and women would just step up as parents and think about the children before themselves, things wouldn't be as bad. I've been a single mom for 2 years, my estranged husband has never paid a dime, when I was filling out the arrears forms per recommendation of the judge, I did not even realize he is 23,000 behind. He is in the marines and has been receiving bah for me and my dd and with that and his pay makes 2.5 times more than I do and stays with his friends and doesn't pay bills, but yet his command and everyone looks at me like the money hungry "baby momma" . It hurts because everything I do is for my daughter, I never buy myself things and I work my butt off everyday for her not to be affected by the fact that when she was born, her father, my husband, decided a baby was too much responsibility and he just wanted to have fun. I know there are many mothers who do just want cs for their own needs but not every mother who wants it is thinking that way. I am fighting for my daughters sake.

Quoting savingtheworld:

400$ a month? That's almost rent or a carpayment or groceries for a month?

Quoting AngeLnChainZ:

$400 is nothing ... Just to point that out. It may seem like a lot when you are the one paying it out, but it isn't that way for the one receiving it.

Quoting chelsea1401:

My husband has a son from a previous relationship and he sends her 400 a month, which yes I know doesn't pay much for a kid these days... We get him every other weekend ( thats court ordered) she never packs him a bag with clothes, diapers or anything... so even though we send her all that money, were still having to buy him stuff he needs for here..  She also will drop him off on days when she has stuff to do or like when she went into labor we had him for a week and a half...  on another note she lives in gov't housing and on all kinds of welfare - so what she does with the money i dunno but I just dont think its fair... The courts are wanting to up his CS to over 600 if he keeps this 2nd job, It doesn't matter he has 2 other children at home to pay for on top of our bills...  It really pisses me off..

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommaFruFru
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:30 PM
Yes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
suetoo
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 3:00 PM
Absolutely. It takes two to make a baby, and two should share equally in the costs.
spotsmom
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 4:02 PM

Quoting suetoo:

Absolutely. It takes two to make a baby, and two should share equally in the costs.

I agree with this. It's very obvious that the parent that has physical custody is the one bearing the brunt of the financial obligation, not to mention the physical, day to day to care of the child. The overall responsibility of the child falls overwhelmingly with the custodial parent, and yet non-custodial parents and step-parents complain to the rafters about having to send a check once a month. Seems like you have the easiest part, if you ask me. And I truly mean no offense to anyone here, but getting involved with a man who has prior obligations and then complaining about him having to live up to those obligations doesn't really make a lot of sense. What did you expect? That he would be able to STOP supporting his child when you got involved with him and decided to creat more obligations? I'm not saying that a man shouldn't be able to remarry and have more kids, if he wants, but no, he can never "move-on." You don't "move-on" from your kids. And obviously, he needs to take into consideration the obligations he currently has before taking on more obligations. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)