Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

My sons teacher thinks she can run our entire lives, even holding him from his bus

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 5:33 PM
  • 41 Replies
1 mom liked this

So my son is in 2nd grade and is special needs speech (that is all, otherwise he is totally normal). His school is solely Speech, Sight, hearing, and base phsycially impairment. 

My eldest daughter is a senior in high school, my other daughter is in 5th grade. So I have dealt with good teachers, bad teachers, mean teachers, nice teachers, rude teachers, loving supportive teachers, harsh, easy, young, old, male, female, a combination of the previous terms, all of it. But for the first time in 15 years of  dealing with schools I dont know what to do with this crazy women.

First off she sends home homework nightly, thats fine. However its as minimum of 2 hours a night for a 2nd grader who gets home at 4:45. She sent home a message that said homework should take at least 2 hours, if your student if finishing it sooner please let me know so I can add somemore busy work. By the end of the year I plan on having all students doing 3 hours a night. My senior in high school has barely that much work EVERY night. Last weekend DS had 500 math problems to do. Im all for homework, but in limited and reasonable amounts. He gets home at 4:45, 5:30 is dinner with the family. Weds. and Thursdays he has a speech group (suggested by the school) from 6:30-7:30 in his school gym. With his homework there is no time for anything, my MIL was in town last week and really didnt get to visit with DS. 

This women also is a health nut on a scary level, she sent home a list of items she feels are OK for snack no big deal till you realize she openly states at the end of the letter that all items are avalible at Whole Foods and a local speciality market. A cup of yogurt she finds good enough is $3.00. She feels no child should have gluten (this isn't a problem as far as allergies for a member of DSs class this year) just her personal feelings and she wont allow anything she thinks might have it. On one hand, Im fine with school being healthy, but this women throws a fit my sons mini carrots weren't in those single snack bags so she could verify they were orangic and the correct brand. In our district snack is considered required in all classes (meaning teachers have to have a snack time). 

DSs school also has start of the year parent teacher meetings, like conferences. And all she kept saying was as a parent she felt, and as a parent she felt all parents... then come to find out all she has is a 2 year old. She seems to think all people should only feel, think, and act like her.

Then she got upset when I and 3 other mothers couldnt come to a schedule meeting during the school day. This was to set up family schedules, ok fine. That she then questions our kids about to see if we are following them as she stated. So basically this women wants to make sure my brother doesnt stop by out of the blue or something. She is very much butting into our lives.

Then today I got a call at 4 "10 from my sons school secratary. She asked if my son was supposed to be staying after school. I said no, she then told me that she might be over crossing her bounds but my son and another boy were sitting in class in chairs in corners. WHAT! She put the principal on, who seemed not surprised but upset. She put me on hold, went and got my son and his best friend. Why were they held... because they did poorly today on their math test. I never got a call nothing, this crazy teacher just didnt put my son on the bus and held him for a detention....DETENTION! For not doing well on a math test... 

So I just picked him up and had a long talk with the principal. Because of school policy they cannot change his teacher, however she is working to have another teacher brought in to teach DSs class. This is the second time in a week this has happend and she has been having complaints all year for all 11 kids parents. She really seemed she was doing what she could and was just pretty much locked down with district rules. This teacher is in her 4th school in 11 years. 3rd in the last 3 years..... I could've killed this women, Im tired of her running my sons class like its a prison. In all my years Ive never dealt with a teacher like this.

by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 5:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KRISTAL_WILDER
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 5:49 PM
1 mom liked this

I would team up with the other parents.

marchantmom06
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 5:56 PM
So he's in a self contained school?

What district rules state that he can't move teachers? Never heard that before......
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
terpmama
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 5:57 PM
At least e school is trying to get her out... I would set up a meeting with teach and principal and set some ground rules for at least your kid about detention and what not.
Bmat
by Barb on Oct. 8, 2012 at 6:03 PM

Can you get together with other parents and politely and calmly have a meeting with the principal?

xoxRachelxox
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 6:04 PM

I would set up a meeting with other parents and the principal. See what you can all come up with and what rights you have.

That is way too much homework for kids that age and she is butting in way too much as far as what they're eating.

As for the detention, that's not okay. How can you punish a child for not doing well on a test. That's absurd. To top if off, she didn't think him not being sent home on time wouldn't be a problem? My school has to get MY okay to keep my son for a detention on the same day.

Firewoman33
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 6:06 PM
5 moms liked this

Can you sit in on his class? I bet what you know now is just the tip of the iceberg.

LvngMmyCampbell
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 6:12 PM

My skids school just implemented a new program where if a student does not turn in any one assignment each week, they have to stay after school for detention. So, they miss the bus. I get why they are doing the program, which is to show consequences but we are not able to accomodate random times the bus will be missed for this program. So, we will have to do everything we can to be sure all assignements are turned in! I know this is not "crazy" like your situation, I just thought I would share. That teacher is out of her mind.

snowangel1979
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 6:19 PM
Why doesn't the principle- AKA HER BOSS- tell her this is the way we run the school.

She can require healthy snacks but not to that extreme.

What goes on at your home after school hours is non of her business. You are allowed to have anyone you dang well please come to your house. A family schedule. I hands down would have told her where to stick that.
2+ hours is a little much for second graders. Heck I homeschool and we only do about 2-3 hours a day of school work.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ahasugar
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 6:26 PM

wow! i agre that you should get together with the other parents and meet with the principal.GOOD LUCK that lady sounds crazy! please keep us updated, i am pretty much fascinated by your situation.

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 6:31 PM

Holy wow, that is a huge mess to deal with.  She sounds uber controlling and almost abusive emotionally to withhold snacks if she does not agree with where they come from as well as the detention for bad tests.  This is not a school for out of control children where those consequences may seem to make more sense.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)