Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Is it normal now a days for pedis to give Hepititas B shots to infants?

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:41 PM
  • 23 Replies

So the other day, my parents came over to hang with us. My SO mentioned how Sam (our 3 month old) received shots on the 28th of September (just so happened to be when he turned 3 months).

My SO was listing off the type of shots Sam received and one of them was the Hepititas B shot.

My parents started telling us how they shouldn't have given that to Sam. How it's not healthy to give to infants and they inject a little of the Hep B in babies which means that it's in their system which means that they now have Hep B which means that they can get sick from it.

We told them that I don't think that the doctors would give him something if they knew it was harmful to the baby.

My mom told me to do some research on it to see if it's safe or not.

Sam gets a series of shots (which most infants get) and the next sets of shots he receives is when he's 6 months old, I think.

My question is is this normal? I'm asking you because my parents are over protective when it comes to their grandchildren so they tend to over react to things that may seem minor.

When he goes for his next shots should I tell his doctor that I don't want him to get the Hep B shots or is it to late to deny the shots because the Hep B is all ready in his system?

by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:43 PM
Been that way a long time. My dd 18 got them as an infant. 21 yo did as a toddler.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
srbeusk
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:56 PM
2 moms liked this
It's normal but bull IMO.
And sadly yes, drs will give shots knowing they aren't good for baby...
Why on earth would a baby need hep b shot? I concur with the grandparents--- do some research...;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
srbeusk
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:57 PM
2 moms liked this
Oh and it's never too late to stop any vaccine if you don't want to do that one (or whichever ones) anymore...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Do research and decide on your own.  The hard part will be finding unbiased information sites for vaccines.  We had dd get them all except flu shots.  She has not had any reactions to them nor has she gotten any sicker than other kids.  She is 6 and has never had an ear infection *knock on wood*.  I hope it stays that way.

georgeisfun
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:31 PM

Yeah, it is normal. You can decline the hep b shot, it's totally optional. You can decline other vaccines as well, but I think there are some hoops you have to jump through when enrolling in school, I think.

AmiJanell
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:15 PM

I think it's typical that most infants are give the Hep B vaccine... we got it for our son.  But with our daughter (5 weeks old) we declined the shot and she won't be getting it until she is older... 

I would continue with the series if it's started though... from what I understand with Heb B if you miss a shot you have to start the series over... so if you stop now the other shots would have been for nothing.

emmy526
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:18 PM

theres legal exemptions that can be signed or written by the parent, depending on what state you live in..

Quoting georgeisfun:

Yeah, it is normal. You can decline the hep b shot, it's totally optional. You can decline other vaccines as well, but I think there are some hoops you have to jump through when enrolling in school, I think.

emmy526
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:19 PM

no, you don't have to restart the series unless you wait decades to finish....

Quoting AmiJanell:

I think it's typical that most infants are give the Hep B vaccine... we got it for our son.  But with our daughter (5 weeks old) we declined the shot and she won't be getting it until she is older... 

I would continue with the series if it's started though... from what I understand with Heb B if you miss a shot you have to start the series over... so if you stop now the other shots would have been for nothing.

sj3starz
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:51 PM
In Michigan you have to get them before you even leave the hospital, by law. You need to check and see if that was administered at the hospital. Most likely it's already in the system but I think you can still delay the boosters.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emmy526
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:54 PM

there are state exemptions available

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(lpcmp045edvgte45huchldmr))/mileg.aspx?page=getobject&objectname=mcl-333-9215

Quote:

Quote:

333.9215 Exemptions.

Sec. 9215.

(1) A child is exempt from the requirements of this part as to a specific immunization for any period of time as to which a physician certifies that a specific immunization is or may be detrimental to the child's health or is not appropriate.

(2) A child is exempt from this part if a parent, guardian, or person in loco parentis of the child presents a written statement to the administrator of the child's school or operator of the group program to the effect that the requirements of this part cannot be met because of religious convictions or other objection to immunization.

History: 1978, Act 368, Eff. Sept. 30, 1978 
Popular Name: Act 368

Quoting sj3starz:

In Michigan you have to get them before you even leave the hospital, by law. You need to check and see if that was administered at the hospital. Most likely it's already in the system but I think you can still delay the boosters.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN