Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

How do I get him to stop sleeping on the floor??

My son is 3 and for about a little over a year (ever since he was moved out of his crib) hes been sleeping on the floor. I will put him to bed and when I check on him hes on the floor. I put him in his bed multiple times a night and he climbs right out. He doesnt sleep next to his bed he sleeps in the middle oif the room. Its gotten to the point where he fights me at bed time because he wants to lay on the floor. He wont even sleep with me but hell sleep on the floor next to my bed if hes having a rough night. Im just worried that this will cause back problems because the floor is hard. He tells me its comfortable but I dont like it. He even lays a blanket down and sleeps on top of it if the floors cold. I just dont know what to do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 7:28 AM
Replies (41-50):
Nikkijr
by Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 8:12 PM
Mine does this as well. I let him. He seems fine to me. My son always rolls in his sleep and would roll off the bed anyway. FYI bed is like 6 inch off floor b/c of this. So I allow him to sleep on the floor or the couch. As long as he goes to sleep when I want him to I could care less. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rachel_2010
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 8:13 PM

I slept under my bed for about 6 months when I was about 8.  There was only enough room for me to lie on my back.  I would read in bed, then crawl under lol  I have no idea why, but I think it was a security thing, there was nothing under my bed just me! and the closeness of it.  Then one day I stopped lol

Angelanscalf89
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 8:14 PM
No. I think I was just over reacting.

Quoting jhslove:

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it. If he's comfortable sleeping that way, let him. Like others have said, it's most likely a phase and not worth a big battle. If anything, sleeping on a hard, flat surface is BETTER for your back than sleeping on an overly squooshy mattress. Has his pedi told you that he shouldn't sleep on the floor?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
firespurity
by Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 11:24 PM

This shouldn't hurt his back. Many people sleep on the ground. My brother has slept on the ground his entire life. Just make sure a bed is available and it is clean if he ever wants to move into it. When we were young my brothers pedi said it was even better for his back then a bed. Maybe get a really good pillow for good head support though.

signingmama2915
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 11:26 PM
I would do the same

Quoting sktrowb:

I would offer to put a mattress on the floor and leave it go.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JasonsMom2007
by Platinum Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 11:32 PM

My 2 year old has been sleeping on the floor for 6 months.  Not a big deal

mitchiesgirl
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 11:34 PM
My 10 year old sleeps on the floor... Haven't been able to break it lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
celticgodess
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 11:57 PM

Be glad he's sleeping.  I've heard it's actually good for your back to sleep on the floor if thats your only concern.  My 3yo goes between her bed, her fold out Dora couch, and the floor.  As long as she's sleeping - more power to her!

squeakers2
by Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 12:08 AM
There's nothing wrong with sleeping on the floor. I did it for the longest time as a child. I probably still would but my legs go numb from sciatica. My DF is 30 yrs old and still prefers to sleep on the floor. The only reason he sleeps in bed is bc I'm in the bed. He has scoliosis and it makes his back better. I would just let him. If he wasn't comfortable, he wouldn't sleep there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
spotsmom
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 1:12 AM

Just go with it. It really sounds like there is nothing you can do. And I agree it is probably a phase. Buy him a really comfy, nice sleep mat and let him sleep on that. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN