Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Am I being to picky?

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 2:54 PM
  • 6 Replies

I have a hard time getting friends, and a harder time keeping them.  It's not that I don't get along with people.  I feel like I can't find someone like me.  It's not that I can't handle someone with different view points, I LOVE to argue, but the other person has to be able to argue, then it's lunch time so arguement over, hard feelings, where to for lunch?

I make friends with people, and then 2 years later I realize they are super racist but were hiding it or whatever.  (that has happened more than once!)

Do you think I'm being to picky? Should I settle for a friend that I have to constantly battle and stand up for myself.  Or I have to nod and smile and not say that I think they are compleltly ignorant.

This never bothered me before I had kids, before if I had no one to do stuff with I did it myself.  But I don't feel it is fair to my baby to only get to hang out with me b/c I can't make friends.  He deserves to have lots of people in his life to make him well rounded and all that.

I wouldn't settle for a life partner, but I want a friend for life that I can stand to keep :(

by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 2:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Bleacheddecay
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 3:19 PM

Maybe you are looking in the wrong places? I like to hang out with open minded, tolerant people. I live in the very conservative, often racist, Bible Belt. Therefore I had to look for some rare people around here.  I looked for these people at the UU Church, Vegan and secular groups, and so on. Now I have some friends that have some of the same values and ideals I do.

-PB
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 3:27 PM

I wish I had some advice.  I don't have any friends and it doesn't bother me at all.  I guess that makes me a loner.  My dd goes to YMCA daycare for an hour and a half 3 days a week so she can play with someone other than me.  GL!  Hope you find some friends soon.

robyann
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Good friends are hard to come by. Just keep looking, go to places that you would if you had a friend with you (and your dd). Parks are a good place to meet other mom's. Library's have story time. Just things like that, talk to other mom's and if you think you may like them ask them to join you for lunch, or something. Spend a little time getting to know someone and if you find they aren't really your kind of person, then move on. GL

CoeyG
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 4:25 PM

Being a friend means overlooking parts of someone's personallity that bother's you.  I have friends who are racitis, I have friends who are homophobes.  I have friends who are religiously intolerant.  I have friends who are politically opposed to me.  Just because they are the way they are doesn't mean that I am as well.  My friends are my friends because there is something I love about them. 

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 4:37 PM
Argue with friends? Not me. I have a few friends for 30 to 40 years now. I also move a lot and always make new friends.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
savingtheworld
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 6:14 PM
Haha..I have no friends..an yes its bc I'm picky..ppl just get on my nerves or I just don't like there ways after a while..is that weird? An I don't have friends with kids wish I did but I would have a problem with that to probably..I'm a care free opened minded person..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN