Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms
My 7 month old has recently become a nightmare to put to bed. Nothing works. I got so worked up tonight that I had to call my husband to come home from class early. I'm so frustrated and tired and I just lost it. I'm afraid to even go near my son right now I'm so worked up and worn out. I feel like a terrible mother. Am I alone? Any advice?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 8:16 PM
Replies (11-16):
jhslove
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 8:56 PM

I agree with this. When babies all of a sudden develop sleep problems after sleeping well, there's usually a reason. I'd take him to the doctor, but also, is there a chance he could be teething?

Separation anxiety is another possibility. I know it's frustrating, but try not to get angry. Baby sleep problems are part of the package, and once you figure out what's going on, you can get him back into his routine. But he's not doing this to annoy you; more likely he's in pain or afraid.

Quoting budgie1117:

Hmmm....that seems sudden. Wonder if he has an ear infection? I'd take him to the doc just to rule something like that out.

Quoting Megan11587:

I feed him, give him a bath, put on his pjs, take him to his room, sing to him or read a story, then lay him down. Normally he goes out right then, but now he just screams until I pick him up. It's obvious he is tired, but he just fights it. He started doing this about a week ago. Putting him to sleep takes up to an extra two hours after his normal routine

Quoting budgie1117:

Teething? Getting sick? Could be many things. I think we need some more details. What is his normal routine at night? At what point is he resisting? Give us an example of a typical evening with him, right up to when he freaks out. {{{HUGS}}} I promise, he won't do this forever.

Megan11587
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 8:56 PM
Well that was my initital thought because I don't have issues on the weekends and he naps well for me. My mom watches him during the week, so I brought it up to her, and she says that he has been napping for her as well. Maybe he isnt napping as well there?

Quoting budgie1117:

What kind of napper is he? Regular? Good? Difficult?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Megan11587
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 9:00 PM
Teething is definitely possible, though he doesn't seem to be in pain.
He has been showing signs of separation anxiety- he won't be alone with anyone except me, my husband and parents without freaking.

The thing is, I don't have issues on the weekend, but during the week is the worst. He's with my mom during the day in the week. Is it possible that he just hasn't seen me all day and wants to stay awake and play as long as possible?

Quoting jhslove:

I agree with this. When babies all of a sudden develop sleep problems after sleeping well, there's usually a reason. I'd take him to the doctor, but also, is there a chance he could be teething?

Separation anxiety is another possibility. I know it's frustrating, but try not to get angry. Baby sleep problems are part of the package, and once you figure out what's going on, you can get him back into his routine. But he's not doing this to annoy you; more likely he's in pain or afraid.

Quoting budgie1117:

Hmmm....that seems sudden. Wonder if he has an ear infection? I'd take him to the doc just to rule something like that out.

Quoting Megan11587:

I feed him, give him a bath, put on his pjs, take him to his room, sing to him or read a story, then lay him down. Normally he goes out right then, but now he just screams until I pick him up. It's obvious he is tired, but he just fights it. He started doing this about a week ago. Putting him to sleep takes up to an extra two hours after his normal routine

Quoting budgie1117:

Teething? Getting sick? Could be many things. I think we need some more details. What is his normal routine at night? At what point is he resisting? Give us an example of a typical evening with him, right up to when he freaks out. {{{HUGS}}} I promise, he won't do this forever.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
budgie1117
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 9:25 PM
Could be. Nothing disrupted bedtime more for my kids than a crappy nap earlier that day. For a while, my youngest would sleep great at naptime but would be terrible at night. I could NOT understand it. I just buckled down and stayed consistent. And I tried to keep nap routine and bedtime routine as similar as possible. That would be much more difficult to coordinate since your mom takes care of him. Well, no matter what, I'd take him to the doctor just to rule out illness.

Quoting Megan11587:

Well that was my initital thought because I don't have issues on the weekends and he naps well for me. My mom watches him during the week, so I brought it up to her, and she says that he has been napping for her as well. Maybe he isnt napping as well there?

Quoting budgie1117:

What kind of napper is he? Regular? Good? Difficult?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ZakkarysMom
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 9:33 PM
If you cant get your husband to come home early for some reason..take a time out. Put him down in his bed where he is safe and step outside. Take 10 deep breaths. It helps alot. Im a single mom of a 1 and a 3 yr old. I take alot of "time outs". Its better than doing something you will regret.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jhslove
by Bronze Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 5:44 AM

That could be it. I don't have much experience with separation anxiety, but if that's the big thing that's different between days when bedtime goes smoothly and those when it doesn't, I'd look there first.

When he's with your mom, does he nap? A lot of babies, if they miss a nap, will quickly get overtired and that causes them to fight sleep.

Quoting Megan11587:

The thing is, I don't have issues on the weekend, but during the week is the worst. He's with my mom during the day in the week. Is it possible that he just hasn't seen me all day and wants to stay awake and play as long as possible?

Quoting jhslove:

Quoting budgie1117:

Quoting Megan11587:

Quoting budgie1117:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)