Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Nervousssss.... Peanut allergy advice.....???

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 9:41 PM
  • 22 Replies
Ok so I'm going to attempt peanut butter with my daughter tomorrow whose almost 14 months.... We have been battling dairy and soy allergies since she was 2 months old.... She has finally outgrown both... And I just started eating peanut butter yesterday after avoiding it for the last 10 months due to her allergies and the fact my brother has a severe life threatening allergy to peanuts.... I figured I would eat it first let it pass through my breast milk and if she were really allergic I would see SOME kind of reaction from my contaminated breast milk... No reaction so I'm attempting peanut butter Tom and am sooo nervous.... Any moms for any advice what to look for? Experiences with this? And what age you first gave peanut butter to lo?? Thanks! :)
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 9:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SouthTxPrincess
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 9:46 PM
1 mom liked this
I gave it to my girls just like any other food but we don't have anyone who is allergic in our families either. I would just keep some children's benadreyl(sp) on hand and give her some the second you think she is having a bad reaction and call the doctor. Be careful good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaMay007
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 9:49 PM
Well, if you are really concerned have her try them in a doctors office with all the antihistamine injections ready just in case. They may want to start an IV just in case....
Madisynsmommy21
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 9:54 PM
Quoting MamaMay007:

Well, if you are really concerned have her try them in a doctors office with all the antihistamine injections ready just in case. They may want to start an IV just in case....

That's a great idea but I don't know if they will let me do that?. They all have suggested I do it sooner rather than later in order for an allergy not to develop but none have suggested this.... Not even her nutritionalist... I'm prayingggg she doesn't have a reaction!!! ;/ 911 will be on speed dial from my home phone and Benadryl will be out and ready to go!
mommyjswish
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 9:59 PM
Try rubbing a little on her cheek first. Generally kids with peanut allergies will tend to get a rash from having it touch their skin.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:02 PM
I am allergic to it. Not severe. Neither one of my girls are allergic.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaMay007
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:04 PM
Find an allergist in the area. They may be able to do a one time visit. It will be expensive (and likely not covered by insurance) but it is your child's life so it is worth it. If that isn't an option see if you can be actually sitting in the ER waiting room or in the triage area when you do this, that way you are already in the ER and if nothing happens you don't need to be seen. Since she is so young I would likely see if they have a hospital that specializes in children nearby so that if the worse does happen you can be in that ER.
-PB
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:41 PM
1 mom liked this

My doc told me to wait until 2 years old to introduce peanut butter and shellfish.  I think I gave dd (now 3 years old) peanut butter at about 20 or 22 months.  She won't eat fish.  We don't have peanut allergies in out family so I wasn't terribly worried.  However, I am allergic to onions (and that runs in my family) and I don't ever buy them so honestly I don't know if she is allergic or not.  I should probably test that out.  GL!  Hope she is not allergic.

ZakkarysMom
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:45 PM
Omg i didnt know someone could be allergic to onions!

Quoting -PB:

My doc told me to wait until 2 years old to introduce peanut butter and shellfish.  I think I gave dd (now 3 years old) peanut butter at about 20 or 22 months.  She won't eat fish.  We don't have peanut allergies in out family so I wasn't terribly worried.  However, I am allergic to onions (and that runs in my family) and I don't ever buy them so honestly I don't know if she is allergic or not.  I should probably test that out.  GL!  Hope she is not allergic.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
-PB
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:51 PM

Yep.  Red, yellow, white, green, minced, dehydrated and shallots.  They make me horribly sick.  My uncle gets anaphylaxis with onions.  And they put onions in everything...ugh.  I can't eat soup unless its homemade or plain ol' tomato. 

Quoting ZakkarysMom:

Omg i didnt know someone could be allergic to onions!

Quoting -PB:

Madisynsmommy21
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:55 PM
Quoting -PB:

Thank you! Yea I guess according to my gi doctor and nutritionalist who suffered severe allergies herself said it actually does more harm thn good on waiting to introduce.... So I'm just crossing my finger and going to leave it up to God!! I tealllyyyyyyy hope she's not allergic! :/
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN