Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Need a new brand of yarn

Posted by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 10:06 AM
  • 10 Replies

I've used Red Heart, Red Heart with Love, and "I Love This Yarn" brands.  I DON'T LOVE THESE YARNS!!!

My problems are these: 1. I find knots in skeins and 2. some parts of a skein aren't raveled right.

If you know of a good brand of yarn: one that doesn't try to sell you unravelled yarn or yarn where two or more pieces of yarn are tied together to make the skein,
PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!!

by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 10:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bebcarroll
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 11:08 AM

It is rare that I get a skein with two piece knotted together, but it does happen.  You just hide it in the work.  But, buying a higher quality yarn would help those problems.  Look at Hobby Lobby and Michael's, they both carry nicer yarns that are not outrageously expensive. Some of the unravelling happens as they wind the skein,  the yarn is wound the opposite way it is spun and sometimes, a part of it can come unravelled.  you can also cut out the unravelled piece.  And, lots of wool hand made yarns that are crazy expensive, have more than one or two knots, it is the nature of making yarn.

TeaHound
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Thank you SOOOO much for the info!!!

What brand would you choose?  I've been using acrylic, but the regular Red Heart acrylic was giving me a blister, so I started using the softer one (Red Heart with Love).

Quoting bebcarroll:

It is rare that I get a skein with two piece knotted together, but it does happen.  You just hide it in the work.  But, buying a higher quality yarn would help those problems.  Look at Hobby Lobby and Michael's, they both carry nicer yarns that are not outrageously expensive. Some of the unravelling happens as they wind the skein,  the yarn is wound the opposite way it is spun and sometimes, a part of it can come unravelled.  you can also cut out the unravelled piece.  And, lots of wool hand made yarns that are crazy expensive, have more than one or two knots, it is the nature of making yarn.

bebcarroll
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Actually, what I do is go in feel all the yarn. (well the yarn that is the right weight for the project) Anything that makes me itch or leaves red marks is automatically rejected. (I have crazy sensitive skin and I am going to be touching the yarn A LOT). Anything so soft I can't stand it or that I like the look of or that feels easy to work with (I hate eyelash yarns and loopy yarns cause they are hard to work with.), a skein goes in the cart so I have a sample.  Then I look at the content and wash instructions... I like wool and wool blends, but for baby stuff it needs to be washable(some wool is, look at the care instructions to know for sure.)  The I consider price... I cannot make an afghan out of something that is $10 a skein especially when the skein is less than 2 oz.  Usually at that point I have 2-4 skeins that would suit the project and I pick from those based on color. 

The major exception to all those rules is the yarn I am working right now.  It is a Lion Brand boucle that my sister bought for me to make an afghan for her new baby.  It is their Homespun line, which in the past I have avoided.  But it is knitting up so nice, it is the Rococo color and it feels and looks like a teddy bear.  And, even though I would never pick it my self, it meets all the qualifications from before. (Plus she got it on clearance so the whole afghan is costing her $5 in materials!)

Actually, come to think of it, I have used A LOT from the Lion brand and rarely been disappointed.  (eyelash and loopier yarns being the exception there).  You might see what you can get from Lion brand at Micheal's or Hobby Lobby, their  Amazing yarn is my favorite relatively inexpensive yarn right now.  (It is self striping)

CoeyG
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 12:31 PM

Ever hear of "Google"?

TeaHound
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 3:46 PM
Thanks for the tips!!! I can get Lion at Walmart for a reasonable price. I can't work long with the itchy studd either; it wears a dent in my forefinger and HURTS!!!! HOWEVER: a friend of mine from the last time I was crocheting told her MIL and she bought me corn cushions, the kind that are like a tube, and it worked GREAT!!! It's rubbery on the inside, so it doesn't slip off but not sticky like a bandaid, and just textured enough to let the yarn slip over as if it's on your skin. But I'm using the soft stuff for dh's blanket.

Quoting bebcarroll:

Actually, what I do is go in feel all the yarn. (well the yarn that is the right weight for the project) Anything that makes me itch or leaves red marks is automatically rejected. (I have crazy sensitive skin and I am going to be touching the yarn A LOT). Anything so soft I can't stand it or that I like the look of or that feels easy to work with (I hate eyelash yarns and loopy yarns cause they are hard to work with.), a skein goes in the cart so I have a sample.  Then I look at the content and wash instructions... I like wool and wool blends, but for baby stuff it needs to be washable(some wool is, look at the care instructions to know for sure.)  The I consider price... I cannot make an afghan out of something that is $10 a skein especially when the skein is less than 2 oz.  Usually at that point I have 2-4 skeins that would suit the project and I pick from those based on color. 

The major exception to all those rules is the yarn I am working right now.  It is a Lion Brand boucle that my sister bought for me to make an afghan for her new baby.  It is their Homespun line, which in the past I have avoided.  But it is knitting up so nice, it is the Rococo color and it feels and looks like a teddy bear.  And, even though I would never pick it my self, it meets all the qualifications from before. (Plus she got it on clearance so the whole afghan is costing her $5 in materials!)

Actually, come to think of it, I have used A LOT from the Lion brand and rarely been disappointed.  (eyelash and loopier yarns being the exception there).  You might see what you can get from Lion brand at Micheal's or Hobby Lobby, their  Amazing yarn is my favorite relatively inexpensive yarn right now.  (It is self striping)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TeaHound
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 3:47 PM
1 mom liked this
Yeah, no help. I needed experience.

Quoting CoeyG:

Ever hear of "Google"?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CoeyG
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 6:41 PM

Well I happen to love Red Heart yarns...but if you Google you can find several brands.  Some of them I have never heard of, as far as "expierence goes, everyone is different.   Google and then read the revuews 

TeaHound
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 6:20 AM
I don't get alomg well (so to speak) with the internet. (or computers at all, for that matter). I'm very intelligent, I just don't do very well with things like that. I'm glad technology ppl have made smartphones, computers, and the internet so user-friendly because they have become a necessity (IMO: necessary evil). I can google most things, but for reviews on whatever, it seems I can't find them to save my life. I appreciate where you're coming from and if I could do this without bothering anyone, believe me, I would!
I'm sorry my post wasted your time. I appreciate your comments. Thank you.
PS: I used to "love" Red Heart too. That's why I started using it for this incredibly important project in the first place. I happen to know (from the experience of others) that there are higher qualities of yarn out there. Also, I found far fewer knots and unravelled parts in their yarn five years ago, when I started this blanket.

Quoting CoeyG:

Well I happen to love Red Heart yarns...but if you Google you can find several brands.  Some of them I have never heard of, as far as "expierence goes, everyone is different.   Google and then read the revuews 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NookBoookMom
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 7:56 AM
I used red heart but fell in love with vanna's choice yarn and hobby lobby always have them on sale also Walmart for decent prices, also bernat yarn
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TeaHound
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 8:05 AM
Thank you very much. I was a little "afraid" that the vannas choice was overpriced. It's worth it if I don't have to stop, pull out stitches, and run under the yarn AFTER cutting out the knot. Thanks! :)

Quoting NookBoookMom:

I used red heart but fell in love with vanna's choice yarn and hobby lobby always have them on sale also Walmart for decent prices, also bernat yarn
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN