Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Public Bathroom Issue

Posted by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 8:53 PM
  • 20 Replies
My 3 year old has been potty trained for several months now and has always been a little bit leary of using public toilets. She was previously more receptive to using public bathrooms with me rather than her dad, but has recently started all out refusing to use public toilets. When we do try because she seems to need to go potty very urgently, she begins screaming and yelling. The first time she did it to me I tried to hold her gently to help her calm down, but she never did. I gave up and we began walking around the store. About 3 minutes later she announced she had to go potty and we walked back and went potty without issue. Lately though, she refuses and if I try to help her by picking her she immediately breaks into tears and if I persist because I think she is on the verge of an accident she loses it screaming and going rigid. Now whenever she needs to go potty while we are out, she demands to go home. I want her to be comfortable and don't want this to be a major trauma, but going home is highly unconducive to being able to accomplish anything throughout the day. I try to plan things out so we are not out for extended periods of time, but I can't always rearrange my day to make this work (appointments etc.) For now avoiding the issue has been my method of handling the situation, but its necessarily the solution.

I've been just trying to go with her into bathrooms talking about the sizes (she is very focused on the size of toilets) and try to let her flush them and be comfortable without being unsanitary. I'm all out of ideas on how to help her and help make this less of a stressor for all of us.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 8:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Is there any way you can pack a toddler foldable potty seat in your purse to put on top of the public toilet?  DD hates the automatic flushing ones so what i do is take a post it note to cover that area until she is done.

CoeyG
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 10:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Don't take her with you.  Leave her with a sitter and let her know that until she changes her behavior you can't take her with you.  

Cafe Amber
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 7:07 AM
My oldest was like that for a little bit. We just kept trying restrooms and eventually she got more comfortable. I'd make sure she uses the restroom before she leaves and just keep trying and she will see that things are ok!
tisami1
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 8:35 AM

Is she able to tell you why? Is she afraid of the size of the toilet? the noise? the sanitary aspect? DS had issues with the automatic toilets (one flushed on him while going) for awhile. I was able to show him how to keep it from flushing (place a post-it note over it or simply your hand) and then let him out of the stall before it flushed. It took a few months, but he got over it.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 8:41 AM
Tell her use the potty while out or do not come. Tell her no screaming or consequences.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
willow332002
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 8:50 AM

after u have been out for awhile & know she may need to go..dont wait for her to say she needs to go.tell her i know you dont have to go potty but mommy does.take her toward thre restroom all the while leting her know that its mommy that has to go...not her.take her into the stall with you while u use the pot & if u get her this far u can ask her if she needs to go too.it may take a few times & even if u dont need to go...keep doing it.maybe have dad hold her outside the restroom ..while mommy goes.once she sees mommy uses the restroom while out & about..she may be ok with it

smallfry3280
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:40 AM

i take a foldable with me because my dd has not yet conquered the big potty. it works great. you can set it up in a stall if you want to or if you have a suv or van you can set it up in the back  for her.we use this potty... but hers is pink or you can buy a portable(foldable as well) seat that goes on top of the regular seat so she can have more security.

Quoting frndlyfn:

Is there any way you can pack a toddler foldable potty seat in your purse to put on top of the public toilet?  DD hates the automatic flushing ones so what i do is take a post it note to cover that area until she is done.

Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:04 AM

My daughter still hates the auto flush potties. 
We try to go potty before leaving the house now.

I couldn't figure out why she hated going into public restrooms till she FLIPPED out one day when the potty flushed with her on it (she is so little the motion sensor thought she had gotten up I guess).
So we just try to go at home before we leave home. I don't like public restrooms anyway.  

Bmat
by Barb on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:45 AM

There are fold up potties that fit over the toilet seat, if she is worried about falling in, or being sucked in by the strong flush action, then this might help her.

Bmat
by Barb on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:46 AM
1 mom liked this

carry a small pack of stick it notes and stick one over the sensor before she uses the potty.

Quoting Mommy2justone:

My daughter still hates the auto flush potties. 
We try to go potty before leaving the house now.

I couldn't figure out why she hated going into public restrooms till she FLIPPED out one day when the potty flushed with her on it (she is so little the motion sensor thought she had gotten up I guess).
So we just try to go at home before we leave home. I don't like public restrooms anyway.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)