Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

If you go to church or used to go to church

Posted by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 11:36 PM
  • 21 Replies

I was raised in the Christian faith. I veered away for a while, quit going to church, but then after I had my dd, I started going back bc I wanted to raise her in the faith. Well, she loves church, and has great friends there. I, on the other hand, don't always enjoy going to church. I have very few close friends, despite the fact that I have gone to this church for several years. Plus, I don't get anything out of it. Even when I try to read the Bible at home, I don't get much out of it. Some of my beliefs don't mesh with other Christians. Sometimes I have doubts about all of it, whether God even exists, whether heaven and hell exists, what being a Christian means,etc. So now I don't know whether to just take my dd to church and then not go myself, keep going where I am and try to find a way to fit in, or try something different.

Has anyone ever battled with doubts about Christianity? Do you believe in Christianity but have turned away from organized religion? I would like to hear what kept you in church or what has turned you away from church. I just need to hear some opinions about it all.

by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 11:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
2blessed2bitch
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 11:43 PM

I love my church.  I was raised in the church too, but then strayed.  When God called me back to church I originally went to my parent's church.  The church I was raised in. The church where I knew everyone.  But, that ended up not being the church for me.  I had to find my own place to worship.  A place where I wanted to go and worship. 

Maybe you need to find your own church. 

piwife
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 11:45 PM
This pass few months have made my faith stronger... I love going to church :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sleepymommy87
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 11:51 PM
I used to be a Christian but I've decided that it's not for me. The more I tried to find reasons to believe the more I found reasons not to. At the end of the day I just don't believe in Christianity, or any religion, though I believe in a higher power, I just don't have a name for it. I'm basically agnostic and spiritual but not religious. I've become happier since I decided to become agnostic.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amber710
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:10 AM

This sounds like me and my DH. We felt uncomfortable and like we were getting nothing out of the church we were in. However, it was good socialization for our daughter and she LOVES the Sunday School and kids' choir and that sort of thing. We stopped going to church and our daughter goes every Sunday with my MIL and her kids.

It is important to us that our daughter gets to go. But I now work Sundays. And DH is trying some different churches, looking for something he feels good about. It makes more sense for her to go to the same church every week with her grandmother than to try a new one each week with him.

offrdngal
by Terri on Oct. 11, 2012 at 7:02 AM
1 mom liked this

My mother used to make us go to church every Sunday and I never enjoyed it.  Once I started questioning what we were being told, my mother got pissed off and I enjoyed church even less.

I do not believe in the Bible.  I believe that it is what it is...the greatest story ever told.  There are so many versions of the bible, that it can't possibly be "god's words".  There are too many contradictions, for me to believe it.  It is all man's interpretations of what they believe.  I don't believe in the church or organized religion.

I consider myself agnostic, I believe in the possibility of a higher power but I don't know what that power is.  I don't say that there is a god, but I don't say that there isn't.

dancer
by Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 7:32 AM

I was accused of stealing money from the collection plates!!! I was home sick with my family! We were all sick the day it happened!!!!!  The Detective even told them,there is no way I did it.  I never got an apology!!!!  I thought church was the one place where i could go and not get falsely accused and judged!!!!  I have not gone back after that!!!

Aslen
by Silver Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 7:37 AM
I love my church. Im Episcopal;,oart of the religious left. We love our gays (the episcopal church.has openly gay priests and bishops) we're pro contraception, and go along the vein of God loving everyone, not just the Bible thumpers
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mylilgooberpea
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 8:22 AM
Sounds to me your church isnt a good fit for you anymore. Growing up we didnt go to the same church forever. I remember church "shopping" a lot as a kid. Once you find one that you enjoy stay a while if not try another. I do find organized religion is flawed by people in a church. Clicky like HS. The clicks kids getting married to others of the same click so it becomes stuck up. Search till you find one that fits your needs like a young adults group or bible study.
paknari
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 8:25 AM
I have in the past. But I have now found a church that i feel right with. A lot of them are all about money and are very corrupt. This church has money but I see the many community outreach programs at work. I don't feel judged as soon as I walk in the door either. Maybe check out some omit her Christian churches and see if there is a better fit?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
victoriaherring
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 8:27 AM
Sounds like you need to find a new church.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)