Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

If you go to church or used to go to church

Posted by   + Show Post

I was raised in the Christian faith. I veered away for a while, quit going to church, but then after I had my dd, I started going back bc I wanted to raise her in the faith. Well, she loves church, and has great friends there. I, on the other hand, don't always enjoy going to church. I have very few close friends, despite the fact that I have gone to this church for several years. Plus, I don't get anything out of it. Even when I try to read the Bible at home, I don't get much out of it. Some of my beliefs don't mesh with other Christians. Sometimes I have doubts about all of it, whether God even exists, whether heaven and hell exists, what being a Christian means,etc. So now I don't know whether to just take my dd to church and then not go myself, keep going where I am and try to find a way to fit in, or try something different.

Has anyone ever battled with doubts about Christianity? Do you believe in Christianity but have turned away from organized religion? I would like to hear what kept you in church or what has turned you away from church. I just need to hear some opinions about it all.

by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 11:36 PM
Replies (21-21):
blondie805
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 3:17 PM

I battled with doubts for so many years. I questioned everything to do with God. I stayed away from church from the time I was 16 until I turned 23. But, here's what I learned along the way. Organized religion doesn't do anything for the heart. You aren't going to understand the Bible until you deal with the doubts you have about God. No church or religion is going to change that. I was blessed to find a church after the church that I had been visiting broke up, and have been their for almost 10 years. My pastor is like my father and his wife is like a mother and she's a very close friend of mine. But, he has always taught us not to listen to the religion. We listen to God. Once I heard God's voice, then, doubts of His existence ended and the understanding of His Word began. There is truly a "Peace which passeth all understanding" when you stop looking at the church or organized religion to feel the void and be the voice of God.

My personal belief is that you are at the wrong church. Pray to God to lead you to the church you belong in. Once you are in the right church, you won't have to try to fit in. You just will. It also sounds like you have attached your doubts to the church and viewed the church as an reflection of God. It's not. Try to find another church and pray.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN