Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Gave 13 month old whole milk instead of breastmilk......... and this is what happened?

Posted by   + Show Post

She slept better!!!! I still breastfeed her a couple times a day and she eats table food. She has been waking at night for quite some time now. I chalked it up to teething and allergies. And nothing seemed to help with that! I gave her whole milk to drink the past two nights before I nursed her and slept better. So could it be that my milk just isnt filling her up anymore? I dont want to quit breastfeeding quite yet. So is it ok to do both?

by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 8:38 AM
Replies (11-20):
Malee1976
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 9:01 AM
1 mom liked this

All I want to say is that's great that you are able to breast feed that long.  I wasn't able to with any of the 3 of my girls.  I didn't make enough milk.  :-(  I was only able to for the first few weeks.

SewingMamaLele
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Quoting Malee1976:

All I want to say is that's great that you are able to breast feed that long.  I wasn't able to with any of the 3 of my girls.  I didn't make enough milk.  :-(  I was only able to for the first few weeks.

Are you planning to have more kids?   If so, be sure to research into breastfeeding and what is normal vs what is not.   Many moms mistake normal phases for a lack of milk supply in the early weeks.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
Malee1976
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:10 AM

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

Quoting Malee1976:

Are you planning to have more kids?   If so, be sure to research into breastfeeding and what is normal vs what is not.   Many moms mistake normal phases for a lack of milk supply in the early weeks.

No I am not planning on having any more children.  It was my Dr would suggested that I swap over to formula because of the  lack of milk I produced.  It broke my heart but I had to do what was best for them at that time!!!  Thanks for the advice!!!!  Hope you have a great day!!!! :-)

BrennaLyons
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:18 AM

Do both! Absolutely! My youngest breastfed until 16 months or so, and she had whole milk several times a day, in addition to breast milk. It's a good way to switch her over anyway.

nverheyn2011
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:23 AM

some people have all the luck! When I started transitioning to whole milk, dd got upset stomachs, bound up like no tomorrow, and just sleeps terribly.

CafeMom Tickers
emkirkley
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 3:19 PM

yes it's ok to do both, and the proteins in whole milk are much harder to digest than breastmilk, so she should stay full feeling longer.

my 18 month old only nurses first thing in the morning and last thing before bed, and has since about 15 months, otherwise she eats what we eat and has some snacks.

piwife
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 4:11 PM
Cow milk is harder to digest.. vs breastmilk.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Noley03
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 4:12 PM
Yes I did that also.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AubreeGrace17
by Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Yes, you can start whole milk at 12 months. 

kirita323
by Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Cow milk is fine, and she'll keep getting the immunities from the breastmilk too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)