Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Has anyone had a child that stopped growing?

Hello,

At the age of 4 - my sone was doing well and continuing on his growth chart in the 50th percentile for weight and 75th percentile for height. At his 5 year well check- a year later- he had gained 2 pounds and had not grown in height at all. The peds office blew this off as no big deal- and since he is my oldest child- I went along with it.  However, now he is 6 and we went to his 6 year well check yesterday. He has not gained any height at ALL since he was 4 and he only gained 2 pounds- he is now 13th percentile for height and 7th for weight... he is 6 and weighs 38 pounds.

He was almost a 10 pound baby born 3 weeks early! We are not small people... are two girls are actually 97th percent for height- so this is blowing my mind and I am wondering what could becausing this.

The peds office now sees this as a problem and are calling him "failure to thrive"

Of course we are now waiting to see an enocrinologist. Every year he gets a TSH, a CBC, a blood sugar check.. due to issues that I personally have- 

What do you think? Does anyone have experience with this?

by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 1:15 PM
Replies (11-20):
buttersworth
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:28 PM

I was pretty freaked out recently when the doctor pegged my boys at being in the 25th and 35th percentile. She said they were in the normal range so she wasn't worried about them, but the numbers upset me. My dd who is now 12 had always been in the 90th percentile. One will be 3 in March and can still wear 2T clothes. The other will be 2 in Feb and is wearng 18-24 mos clothes (and he's the one in the 25th percentile).

So I started kinda looking at other kids their age. And I noticed that they are the same size if not bigger than other kids their age.

Their development otherwise is normal.

So I have come to the conclusion that "percentiles" must be somewhat flawed and can't be the sole tool used to determne the success of a child's growth.

Like someone else said, if your son has other developmental issues, then you might want to work with the pedi to figure it out. But more often than not, it's just a matter of waitiing for that growth spurt combined with the growhth charts being a stupid waste of time.

ambermario4ever
by Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 2:02 AM
When my hubby started high school he looked like a fifth grader cause he was so short but by the time he finished high school he was 5' 8
Malley
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 4:59 AM
I've been through this with my boys. I had to supplement with Pediasure. It turned out my 5 year old has a chromosomal disorder and that's what is causing it. He's on an amino acid as part of his treatment and he's getting big and sturdy now. I don't know yet if my 2 year old has the same thing but he's been off the height chart. When he went to the doctor the other day I was very happy to see he is around the 5th percentile for both height and weight.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyCulp4
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 8:02 AM
My 3 yo son is 36" tall. And 4 yo daughter is 3'3".
Firewoman33
by Silver Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 8:09 AM

My first thought was hypothyroid based on my personal experience. It sounds like you are doing all you can to rule out any issues.  Good job, momma.

TeaHound
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 8:29 AM
IDK

BUMP
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MarGeee
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 9:17 AM

Gosh I don't know,but I think my son has stopped growing to and he's 11. He's shorter than all the boys in his class and even most of the girls are taller than him. I'm going to to have him tested for scoliosis praying that he's just growing slow and that he'll be taller..

brittonJ
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 6:49 PM

It happens! I know numerous people that this has happened to. Just remember that oftentimes measurments are incorrect as well. Go through the testing to make sure everything is OK - but also be on the lookout for growth.

brittonJ
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 6:50 PM

My 3 year old is 41 inches tall.

Quoting MommyCulp4:

My 3 yo son is 36" tall. And 4 yo daughter is 3'3".

brittonJ
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 6:52 PM

My son is not even on the charts for height. He is "too tall". And the pediatricians are always amazed when we come in and can't seem to fathom how a child could possibly be off their precious chart.

We are on the lookout for a new doctor. ;)

Quoting buttersworth:

I was pretty freaked out recently when the doctor pegged my boys at being in the 25th and 35th percentile. She said they were in the normal range so she wasn't worried about them, but the numbers upset me. My dd who is now 12 had always been in the 90th percentile. One will be 3 in March and can still wear 2T clothes. The other will be 2 in Feb and is wearng 18-24 mos clothes (and he's the one in the 25th percentile).

So I started kinda looking at other kids their age. And I noticed that they are the same size if not bigger than other kids their age.

Their development otherwise is normal.

So I have come to the conclusion that "percentiles" must be somewhat flawed and can't be the sole tool used to determne the success of a child's growth.

Like someone else said, if your son has other developmental issues, then you might want to work with the pedi to figure it out. But more often than not, it's just a matter of waitiing for that growth spurt combined with the growhth charts being a stupid waste of time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)