Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Has anyone had a child that stopped growing?

Hello,

At the age of 4 - my sone was doing well and continuing on his growth chart in the 50th percentile for weight and 75th percentile for height. At his 5 year well check- a year later- he had gained 2 pounds and had not grown in height at all. The peds office blew this off as no big deal- and since he is my oldest child- I went along with it.  However, now he is 6 and we went to his 6 year well check yesterday. He has not gained any height at ALL since he was 4 and he only gained 2 pounds- he is now 13th percentile for height and 7th for weight... he is 6 and weighs 38 pounds.

He was almost a 10 pound baby born 3 weeks early! We are not small people... are two girls are actually 97th percent for height- so this is blowing my mind and I am wondering what could becausing this.

The peds office now sees this as a problem and are calling him "failure to thrive"

Of course we are now waiting to see an enocrinologist. Every year he gets a TSH, a CBC, a blood sugar check.. due to issues that I personally have- 

What do you think? Does anyone have experience with this?

by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 1:15 PM
Replies (21-30):
MommyCulp4
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 9:49 PM
Quoting brittonJ:

My middle children are very short and have never grown well but there eat like pigs. Then my oldest and youngest are super tall.
ashli488
by Silver Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 9:54 PM

my sister is like that. she is 7 years old and weighs only 42 lbs and shes constantly eating. i dont know how tal she is. or if her ODD or ADHD has anything to do with it but she has been "tiny" like this since she was about 3 or 4. her dr doesnt see a problem with it though. i guess because he saw how much she ate one time.

im sorry other than that im not really sure

suebee3
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 10:03 PM

I would have him checked for food sensitivities.  My daughter has gluten, dairy, eggs, and soy problems.. She was gaining a lot of weight because of it but the doctors told me that boys are very different and won't gain.  HE could even have celiacs.   Which if his sensitivities to wheat is extreme you may want him tested for that.  Good luck! Hope you find you answers!  

marisab
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 10:38 PM

My oldest son who is now 23  stopped growing for a while and  it turned out he had a form of dwarfism called short stature dwarfismand needed pituitary growyh hormone 9humatrope)))untile he was 21.

my youngest son hage 5 has issues with weight gain and needs high cal diet

Jennifer_236
by Jennifer on Oct. 13, 2012 at 11:25 PM

My 6 year last year stopped growing for a whole year. he was 50 lb size 12 shoe and 45 inches tall, Now he is 55 lbs size 13 shoe and 48 inches tall, the doctor didnt really care. but now he is growing

-PB
by Gold Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 11:57 PM

My brother had that problem.  They ended up giving him hormone injections for a while and it helped.  I can't remember the cause, reasons, how long or how often (it was years ago and I was very young).  I'm sure the lack of growth could be for many different reasons.  I'm sure they'll figure it out. 

chefmartha
by Gold Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 12:12 AM

Yep. Up until this past year my youngest was stuck at the height of 4' 5" and weighed about 75 lbs. She was 17 y/o. Now she's almost 18 and finally grew some this past year. She's now about 4' 10" almost 4' 11". Our Endocrinologist did a bunch of tests and discovered that she's just petite. She has several cousins who are in their late teens or over the age of 20 and are at or less then 5 foot tall. The whole reason we went to the doctor had more to do with her lack of a monthly cycle at the time (she was 16). She has since started having amonthly cycle which the doctor tells us will most likely freeze her height at where it is now.

When she was your son's age she was only about 3 feet tall. Her Doctor at the time offered HGH because she was so tiny and once growing very much at all. We chose not to do it because at that time is was just starting to be offered to girls and since there were no studies on the long term affect on girls we declined. Basically for us short woman and tall men run in the family. My son is 6' 1" and my girls are under 5'. All you can really do right now is keep a watch on it. If he grows great, if by the time he's around 10 and hasn't grown much, then you may want to consider other options. My son was small until he was around 9 or 10 and then he hit a growth spirt that didn't stop until he was 19.

Kenre
by Bronze Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 12:17 AM
Lump was/is failure to thrive. He stayed the same from 4 months to 11 months. Had a major growth spurt. Then again stopped. He is 3 years old and in 18 month clothes. Doctors never tested him. They say that is just how he is. He doesnt seem bothered by it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Missy5Brianne
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 1:09 AM

I have not had this issue at this age, my daughter stayed at about the same height and weight for 3 years from age 8 to age 10....she then hit a growth spurt and is now taller than us all at 5'9" i am just glad she finally stopped growing. She will be 18 in about 2 months and she is healthy and strong, also an honor student.

If i were you and you are that worried about it. Take him to a dr and get a 2nd opinion. You have nothing to loose by doing this and if this dr feels the need to do more test i would go with that. Make sure to take his dr records from the 1st dr. jmo

Nicky2911
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 1:27 AM

Didn't they have something like this on an episode of "Monsters inside me?" 

I really am not sure but best wishes momma :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)