Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

amanda todd commit suicide after being bullied

Posted by   + Show Post
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobileweb/2012/10/!?!11/amanda-todd-suicide-bullying_n_1959909.html
this is the world our kids are growing up in.
Are you scared? I am. what do we do to stop this from happening!?
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 7:10 AM
Replies (21-30):
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:35 AM
She made very bad decisions, one being suicide.

Quoting Jcothrine:

Quoting atlmom2:

She did some very dumb things.

she did...but bad enough to die for?

to be haunted and heckled and followed everywhere she went?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:35 AM
Who takes nude photos of themselves?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jcothrine
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:37 AM

a whole whole whole lot of teenagers do....... and text them and email them and then they are out there forever

Jcothrine
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:39 AM

it is an epidemic here in Orlando.....gets talked about on the radio all the time..... warning teens not to do it...but they still do...and sexting...and etc.... a lot of parents just don't pay atttention to what their kids are doing.....

hudson.maggie
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Although I agree with a pp about parents needing to "toughin" kids up.. But what happened to her should've been stopped. Where were her parents when all this happened? Why didn't the police do something?

th78
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:54 AM

this is so sad.....my daughter is a victim of bullying/cyberbullying. Self esteem has been drilled into her head and she had great self esteem until this happened to her. After so long, and so many people telling you that you are worthless, you should die, we hate you, you are a waste of life, skin, and breath...one tends to believe it. Especially fragile little minds. My dd's best friends and some family done it to her and they continue to harass her any way that they can. Message her in any way. Law enforcement does nothing, talking to the parents of the bullies and the bullies themselves has done nothing. It's a struggle for my dd everyday. She has a backbone....She is not a pussy or a coward. Matter of fact she challenged them to fight with her. The bullies are actually the cowards when it comes to physical fighting. Verbal abuse can be and is more harmful than physical. 

I pray for this young girls family. My heart hurts for them. 

Megan11587
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:02 PM
7 moms liked this

I'm absolutely appalled by the responses to this post.  No wonder there are so many bullies in schools these days - look at their mothers.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:07 PM
She didn't deserve it but teens need to know dumb actions lead to consequences.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
norahsmommy
by Silver Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:09 PM
Of course they can. Shut off the phone, delete the Facebook app, Turn off text, caller ID and dont pick up if it's a jerk trying to harass you. Don't sit on the computer messaging all the time, block people, ignore it. There are always ways to get away. Parents are not teaching their kids how to handle this sort of thing. Shame on the parents. Shame on the parents of the bullies for allowing their kids to be such sniveling, cowardly jerks. Learning to handle bullies is a life skill these kids are not learning. It's horrible for them and parents are letting them down big time. Bullying is natural and to e expected ( to an extent). Parents need to be on the ball and teach their kids properly.

Quoting Megan11587:

Are you fucking kidding me???

The difference is NOT self-esteem- the difference is social media.  THEY CANNOT ESCAPE THE BULLYING.

How dare you call these kids 'pussies'???  How dare you blame the victim?? I'm sure you blame rape victims because of the way they dress or act, too?

Yes, it is our job to build our children's self-esteem, but it is our job to make sure our kids are taught to be respectful of each other.

Quoting ChicMommy06:

This is getting out of hand. We were bullied growing up. Were we killing ourselves? No!!! We are raising a generation of pussies!! This IMO is something that starts at home. Parents need to be building their children's self esteem! And these kids need to grow a backbone! Am I worried about my kids? Nope, if they have mine or DH attitudes or mouths then they won't care what people say about them and we will enstill that in them. Or they will definitely have something to say back! It all starts at home. And this is Darwinism at its finest.

I'm sure I'll be bashed for this. *shrugs*

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Megan11587
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:11 PM
3 moms liked this

So you suggest punishing the victim by taking those things away from them??  That is absurd.  How about the parents of the bullies actually parent.  Bullying is not expected.  It is a learned behavior from asshole parents.

Quoting norahsmommy:

Of course they can. Shut off the phone, delete the Facebook app, Turn off text, caller ID and dont pick up if it's a jerk trying to harass you. Don't sit on the computer messaging all the time, block people, ignore it. There are always ways to get away. Parents are not teaching their kids how to handle this sort of thing. Shame on the parents. Shame on the parents of the bullies for allowing their kids to be such sniveling, cowardly jerks. Learning to handle bullies is a life skill these kids are not learning. It's horrible for them and parents are letting them down big time. Bullying is natural and to e expected ( to an extent). Parents need to be on the ball and teach their kids properly.

Quoting Megan11587:

Are you fucking kidding me???

The difference is NOT self-esteem- the difference is social media.  THEY CANNOT ESCAPE THE BULLYING.

How dare you call these kids 'pussies'???  How dare you blame the victim?? I'm sure you blame rape victims because of the way they dress or act, too?

Yes, it is our job to build our children's self-esteem, but it is our job to make sure our kids are taught to be respectful of each other.

Quoting ChicMommy06:

This is getting out of hand. We were bullied growing up. Were we killing ourselves? No!!! We are raising a generation of pussies!! This IMO is something that starts at home. Parents need to be building their children's self esteem! And these kids need to grow a backbone! Am I worried about my kids? Nope, if they have mine or DH attitudes or mouths then they won't care what people say about them and we will enstill that in them. Or they will definitely have something to say back! It all starts at home. And this is Darwinism at its finest.

I'm sure I'll be bashed for this. *shrugs*

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)