Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

amanda todd commit suicide after being bullied

Posted by   + Show Post
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobileweb/2012/10/!?!11/amanda-todd-suicide-bullying_n_1959909.html
this is the world our kids are growing up in.
Are you scared? I am. what do we do to stop this from happening!?
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 7:10 AM
Replies (31-40):
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:19 PM
Yep, exactly

Quoting norahsmommy:

Of course they can. Shut off the phone, delete the Facebook app, Turn off text, caller ID and dont pick up if it's a jerk trying to harass you. Don't sit on the computer messaging all the time, block people, ignore it. There are always ways to get away. Parents are not teaching their kids how to handle this sort of thing. Shame on the parents. Shame on the parents of the bullies for allowing their kids to be such sniveling, cowardly jerks. Learning to handle bullies is a life skill these kids are not learning. It's horrible for them and parents are letting them down big time. Bullying is natural and to e expected ( to an extent). Parents need to be on the ball and teach their kids properly.

Quoting Megan11587:

Are you fucking kidding me???

The difference is NOT self-esteem- the difference is social media.  THEY CANNOT ESCAPE THE BULLYING.

How dare you call these kids 'pussies'???  How dare you blame the victim?? I'm sure you blame rape victims because of the way they dress or act, too?

Yes, it is our job to build our children's self-esteem, but it is our job to make sure our kids are taught to be respectful of each other.

Quoting ChicMommy06:

This is getting out of hand. We were bullied growing up. Were we killing ourselves? No!!! We are raising a generation of pussies!! This IMO is something that starts at home. Parents need to be building their children's self esteem! And these kids need to grow a backbone! Am I worried about my kids? Nope, if they have mine or DH attitudes or mouths then they won't care what people say about them and we will enstill that in them. Or they will definitely have something to say back! It all starts at home. And this is Darwinism at its finest.

I'm sure I'll be bashed for this. *shrugs*

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:21 PM
1 mom liked this
She made very stupid decisions. Normal teens do not sext. Parents watch and monitor teens. I did.

Quoting Megan11587:

So you suggest punishing the victim by taking those things away from them??  That is absurd.  How about the parents of the bullies actually parent.  Bullying is not expected.  It is a learned behavior from asshole parents.

Quoting norahsmommy:

Of course they can. Shut off the phone, delete the Facebook app, Turn off text, caller ID and dont pick up if it's a jerk trying to harass you. Don't sit on the computer messaging all the time, block people, ignore it. There are always ways to get away. Parents are not teaching their kids how to handle this sort of thing. Shame on the parents. Shame on the parents of the bullies for allowing their kids to be such sniveling, cowardly jerks. Learning to handle bullies is a life skill these kids are not learning. It's horrible for them and parents are letting them down big time. Bullying is natural and to e expected ( to an extent). Parents need to be on the ball and teach their kids properly.

Quoting Megan11587:

The difference is NOT self-esteem- the difference is social media.  THEY CANNOT ESCAPE THE BULLYING.

How dare you call these kids 'pussies'???  How dare you blame the victim?? I'm sure you blame rape victims because of the way they dress or act, too?

Yes, it is our job to build our children's self-esteem, but it is our job to make sure our kids are taught to be respectful of each other.

Quoting ChicMommy06:

This is getting out of hand. We were bullied growing up. Were we killing ourselves? No!!! We are raising a generation of pussies!! This IMO is something that starts at home. Parents need to be building their children's self esteem! And these kids need to grow a backbone! Am I worried about my kids? Nope, if they have mine or DH attitudes or mouths then they won't care what people say about them and we will enstill that in them. Or they will definitely have something to say back! It all starts at home. And this is Darwinism at its finest.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Megan11587
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Who doesn't make stupid decisions?  That is no reason for so much harassment that led to her ending her life.  There is NO excuse for that- I don't care what she did.

Quoting atlmom2:

She made very stupid decisions. Normal teens do not sext. Parents watch and monitor teens. I did.

Quoting Megan11587:

So you suggest punishing the victim by taking those things away from them??  That is absurd.  How about the parents of the bullies actually parent.  Bullying is not expected.  It is a learned behavior from asshole parents.

Quoting norahsmommy:

Quoting Megan11587:

Quoting ChicMommy06:

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:23 PM
My teens didn't sext.

Quoting Megan11587:

Who doesn't make stupid decisions?  That is no reason for so much harassment that led to her ending her life.  There is NO excuse for that- I don't care what she did.

Quoting atlmom2:

Quoting Megan11587:

Quoting norahsmommy:

Quoting Megan11587:

Quoting ChicMommy06:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Megan11587
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:24 PM

Okay, fantastic. Did I suggest they did?  That isn't the point.

Quoting atlmom2:

My teens didn't sext.

Quoting Megan11587:

Quoting atlmom2:

Quoting Megan11587:

Quoting norahsmommy:

Quoting Megan11587:

Quoting ChicMommy06:

ShannieP
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:25 PM
I think the road goes both ways. ALL parents need to step up. I've taught my oldest (6yo) to be kind and respectful. I've also told her to stand up to bullies and if she sees someone else being bullied she should stand up for them as we'll.
parents of bullies AND victims seem to be going wrong. I don't think that's ALWAYS the case, but many times.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JLo1486
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:29 PM
They can escape it. It's called not letting your children be on social media or it's called monitoring your children while using social media. Cell phones should be monitored as well. Then you can see the shit that is going on. It'a not the victim being blamed here. It's the parents who are raising their children to be bullies and the parents who are raising their children to not fight back.

Quoting Megan11587:

Quoting ChicMommy06:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Megan11587
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:32 PM
Yes it should be monitored. Yes children should have self esteem, however it is the parents of the bullies that should have fire it under their feet, not the parents of the victims or the victims themselves

Quoting JLo1486:

They can escape it. It's called not letting your children be on social media or it's called monitoring your children while using social media. Cell phones should be monitored as well. Then you can see the shit that is going on. It'a not the victim being blamed here. It's the parents who are raising their children to be bullies and the parents who are raising their children to not fight back.

Quoting Megan11587:

Quoting ChicMommy06:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AM-BRAT
by Amber on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:36 PM
2 moms liked this
I don't know what I would do if my kids were going through that. We haven't gotten to that age.

But Idk if they're hippie/pussy/crybabies.

That statement in itself is a bully thing to say. Jc. Have some f*cking respect for one another.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jamie1972
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:41 PM
My oldest has been bullied in the past because he is different. So I taught him that no matter what ppl say about him he is special and smart in his own way. He's borderline mentally retarded,has learning disabilty,pdd-nos. Sohe got picked on aloy. I helped him by buildung self etseen. So now when someone says anything negative to him he says leave me alone and walks away. My other two kids could care less what others day. And they are first to stand up to any bully.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN