Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

amanda todd commit suicide after being bullied

Posted by   + Show Post
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobileweb/2012/10/!?!11/amanda-todd-suicide-bullying_n_1959909.html
this is the world our kids are growing up in.
Are you scared? I am. what do we do to stop this from happening!?
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 7:10 AM
Replies (41-50):
norahsmommy
by Silver Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:41 PM
Yes, the victims parents should have fire under their feet as well as the bully and bullies parents. If something is hurting your child to the extent that they want to harm themselves then it's shame on You for allowing it to continue. There are always ways to help situations. Laziness and 'it's not my problem, it's their problem' mentality kill these kids. It's shameful and we need to do right by our kids and teach them how to handle tough situations without resorting to self harm.

Quoting Megan11587:

Yes it should be monitored. Yes children should have self esteem, however it is the parents of the bullies that should have fire it under their feet, not the parents of the victims or the victims themselves

Quoting JLo1486:

They can escape it. It's called not letting your children be on social media or it's called monitoring your children while using social media. Cell phones should be monitored as well. Then you can see the shit that is going on. It'a not the victim being blamed here. It's the parents who are raising their children to be bullies and the parents who are raising their children to not fight back.

Quoting Megan11587:

Are you fucking kidding me???

The difference is NOT self-esteem- the difference is social media.  THEY CANNOT ESCAPE THE BULLYING.

How dare you call these kids 'pussies'???  How dare you blame the victim?? I'm sure you blame rape victims because of the way they dress or act, too?

Yes, it is our job to build our children's self-esteem, but it is our job to make sure our kids are taught to be respectful of each other.

Quoting ChicMommy06:

This is getting out of hand. We were bullied growing up. Were we killing ourselves? No!!! We are raising a generation of pussies!! This IMO is something that starts at home. Parents need to be building their children's self esteem! And these kids need to grow a backbone! Am I worried about my kids? Nope, if they have mine or DH attitudes or mouths then they won't care what people say about them and we will enstill that in them. Or they will definitely have something to say back! It all starts at home. And this is Darwinism at its finest.

I'm sure I'll be bashed for this. *shrugs*

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ChicMommy06
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:42 PM
Quoting Jcothrine:

i'm guessing its you that needs to learn something.....something called compassion....

watch Amanda Todd's video...and if you don't cry...you have no heart......

though i am pretty sure you don't already....from your comment to me....

I am compassionate, however I do not pity people who pity themselves. She made a video about how sad she was, about what other CHILDREN were saying about her. Are you kidding me?! Like I said, Darwinism. Only the strong survive.
ChicMommy06
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:49 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting Jcothrine:

i'm guessing its you that needs to learn something.....something called compassion....

Yeah BTW I just watched the video. 8mins of my life I will never get back. She was sane enough to make a video with fancy flash cards to feel bad about herself but wasn't willing to do anything to make her life better. I can't feel bad for people like this.
Monica_F12
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:46 PM

This is heartbreaking.

Jcothrine
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Quoting ChicMommy06:

Quoting Jcothrine:

Yeah BTW I just watched the video. 8mins of my life I will never get back. She was sane enough to make a video with fancy flash cards to feel bad about herself but wasn't willing to do anything to make her life better. I can't feel bad for people like this.

i apologize for my heartless comment...someone else pointed out it was a bullying statement and it was...and it was wrong...

however......this girl DID do things to try to change..she moved schools..she went to counseling...therapy...etc..... probably took Rx drugs... she got diagnosed with anxiety disorder and worked on it....she tried quitting cutting... she moved again and again.... she shouldn't have been allowed back on facebook...i agree with that...but again it punishes the victim...but her parents could have monitored things a bit better in my opinion......... but...they are in agony right now...so....i can't blame them.....

who can we blame? the people who should take the blame..the bullies.....

Jcothrine
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 2:31 PM

and to a teenager....what other teenagers are saying about them is pretty much everything...

TCain0001
by Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Kids are being raised that way.  I'm not blaming her (the victim), but when you have a social network site like FB, MySpace, etc., you should know better than to post half naked pics of yourself.........if you do, you know it's out there for anyone to get (why do you think this shit happens  between bf and gf when they break up, he's pissed, and spreads the pics that were meant "just for him"?).  Parents need to impress upon their kids that if this mess comes to a head, they need to be told about it!  Then stand up for yourself......call the cops, report them to whatever social site this is happening on, etc.  Some parents are refusing to listen to their kids.  My kids know what they can and can not share, or, like this one kid that's trying to pick on my 16yo son......I've told my son that the next time he does anything, lay his ass out!  After he eats a few teeth, the kid might just think before he messes with my kid!

Quoting Megan11587:

The difference is NOT self-esteem- the difference is social media.  THEY CANNOT ESCAPE THE BULLYING.

How dare you call these kids 'pussies'???  How dare you blame the victim?? I'm sure you blame rape victims because of the way they dress or act, too?

Yes, it is our job to build our children's self-esteem, but it is our job to make sure our kids are taught to be respectful of each other.

Quoting ChicMommy06:

This is getting out of hand. We were bullied growing up. Were we killing ourselves? No!!! We are raising a generation of pussies!! This IMO is something that starts at home. Parents need to be building their children's self esteem! And these kids need to grow a backbone! Am I worried about my kids? Nope, if they have mine or DH attitudes or mouths then they won't care what people say about them and we will enstill that in them. Or they will definitely have something to say back! It all starts at home. And this is Darwinism at its finest.

Thelmama
by Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 1:30 PM

If adults were doing some of the behaviors we see some teens doing it would be called stalking. However because it is teens they call it bullying and some think, oh it's "just" bullying.  This type of bullying goes beyond name calling. It is insidious and goes deeper than just name calling.  I was bullied growing up but never to the level some of these bullies take it.  We can teach our kids to take up for themselves, yet in the school system if the kid hits back they are punished for it.  This kind of bullying goes to a level that is beyond normal.  Some of these bullies seem to get some kind of pleasure from being cruel. It isn't about "just bullying".  Kids should not be treating others in any such manner. Parents need to teach their children to be considerate and kind to others regardless of their differences. I agree teach kids to have a back bone, but sometimes bullying breaks that back bone because it is beyond any bullying we ever knew as kids. 

People as a whole have less compassion now than they used to, and a lot of people (in general) do not seem to care about their fellowman.  It is all about me, me, me for some, or so it seems.  It is a step on who you can to get to the top and don't care if it hurts them attitude.  I am teaching my kids to not only have a back bone, but to CARE for others. If they see someone being bullied to do what they can to stop it.  

Megan11587
by Bronze Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 1:52 PM
I agree. However, calling kids pussies is over the line. What I am saying is a lot of these posts are ignoring the true problem. I believe one person wrote bullying is to be expected deal with it- or something like that. Bullying should not be expected. The parents of the bullies are the root of the problem, not the victims parents

Quoting TCain0001:

Kids are being raised that way.  I'm not blaming her (the victim), but when you have a social network site like FB, MySpace, etc., you should know better than to post half naked pics of yourself.........if you do, you know it's out there for anyone to get (why do you think this shit happens  between bf and gf when they break up, he's pissed, and spreads the pics that were meant "just for him"?).  Parents need to impress upon their kids that if this mess comes to a head, they need to be told about it!  Then stand up for yourself......call the cops, report them to whatever social site this is happening on, etc.  Some parents are refusing to listen to their kids.  My kids know what they can and can not share, or, like this one kid that's trying to pick on my 16yo son......I've told my son that the next time he does anything, lay his ass out!  After he eats a few teeth, the kid might just think before he messes with my kid!

Quoting Megan11587:

Quoting ChicMommy06:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ivoryskyangel
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Obviously this is a tragic situation. I had friends growing up who would cut themselves and blame bullies. Or who would allow a man to hit them because they thought they deserved it. I stepped in when I saw someone getting bullied, but I couldn't step in the same way when I heard a friend tell me she was cutting herself. Or when a friend said her bf hit her but she was staying with him anyway.  I felt helpless, and still do. I'm scared that when my girls grow up, I won't be able to step in and help them in the way of physically pulling someone off of them and smackin them around. So I have to think of ways to empower them and really... hope for the best. I hate that I can't have any control on how they are treated and how they treat others... but I have faith that they will see me treat others nicely and take cues from that. I wasn't bullied much as a child after I started fighting back. But it seems like some kids just don't know how, or there is something deeper wrong. Like maybe depression, or something else that needs to be treated. There will always be someone out there who will try to bring someone else down. All I can do is my best to prepare them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN