Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

My 3 year has had a cold for a couple weeks, which she has been to the doctor for.  Now she says once in a while her ears hurt and she cant hear.  She has no fever and they seem to be oozing.  Can you have a ear infection without a fever?  I know you ladies are not doctors but maybe you have dealt with something like this.  I'm debating if she needs to go to the doctor.   

by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:29 AM
Replies (11-20):
hismommy2010
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 3:15 PM

Yes that is possible. You should definately get your LO in to the doc asap.

My son carried an ear infection for close to a year. The PED kept trying different antibioctics, and none of them would make it clear up all the way. The PED said that if this last one didn't work he was going to put tubes in his ears, thank god it worked! I didn't want to go with the tubes...

Ear infections aren't all that dangerous, but if left untreated for a period of time, they can cause permanent damage. So it's important to get your LO to the PED as quickly as possible... With it being friday, I realize it will be tough to get a last min appointment, but id call the PED and ask if they could fit you in today in between other appointments just so you aren't spending the weekend with it getting worse and ending up in the ER.

best wishes!

CorpCityGrl
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Yes, you can.  I would take her back to the doctor - especially if her ear is oozing. 

LoveMommyhood12
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 5:27 PM

Yes.  My son has had 6 ear infections this year - and I don't think he had a fever with any of them.  Oozing is a definite sign something is not right - so take her in. 

raegan1221
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 5:30 PM

Yep. My son has had ear infections since he was born (he's 7)..And very rarely did he ever get fever. It's very difficult to tell that he has an ear infection...just if he tells me his ear hurts. We're keeping an eye on it because he's had about 6 sets of tubes, has allergy injections weekly and we're waiting for him to be ear infection free for two surgeries next year.

Gina_C
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 5:38 PM
My son kept getting ear infections and the antibiotics would clear the infection but the fluid wouldn't always drain. After a while this can become very thick and trap more fluid in the ear, which can build up pressure (causing pain or discomfort) and reduce hearing. My son got tubes in his ear 3 weeks ago and the doctor said it was just completely blocked in one ear, and the change has just been incredible. I also have suffered hearing/ear issues my whole life including 3 surgeries so I have a lot of experience with it. I highly recommend you get a referral to take her to see an ENT. It could be something as simple as allergies causing inflammation in the Eustachian tube preventing the fluid from draining from her ears. Hope this helps :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
buttersworth
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:21 PM

I don't know about whether or not you can have an infection without a fever, but the bottomline is, she is complainingn of discomfort and her ear is oozing. You should definitely get her checked, it can't hurt, and you'll know for sure.

MotherOF5Cuties
by Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:24 PM
Its probably fluid in her ears from being sick and that makes it painful which im sure would lead to ear infection if she doesnt have one yet. take her to the doc to get it checked out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Kubalabuku
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:26 PM

YES

I actually dealt with this tonight!  DS1 had no symptoms but was getting over a cold.  Then, at 4pm he got fussy about his ear.  I made him come in from teh fall chill and relax.  At 5pm he grabbed his ear and started screaming.  I called our insurance to get clearance to take him to off-base urgent care.  By 6pm his ear was oozing and bleeding.  By 7pm he was in the urgent care, where they diagnosed an infection and ruptured ear drum!  I feel SO BAD that I didn't pick up on this sooner.  But he had no symptoms or fevers, either.  Not even at the urgent care.  Once it burst, he seemed relieved but I was freaking out b/c of the ooze adn blood by that point...

Take her to the doc just to be safe.  I'm still in shock from hearing DS scream lke that, then the screams stopped when the blood and ooze came.  I don't think I'll sleep tonight, I feel like I should have gone to the ER, but the doctors told me given the circumstances nothing would have stopped the rupture at that point.

MotherOF5Cuties
by Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:26 PM
That what end up happening to my oldest dd when she was 4 yo. She always had ear infections since birth and lots of fluids in her ear. She had tubes at 4 yo

Quoting Gina_C:

My son kept getting ear infections and the antibiotics would clear the infection but the fluid wouldn't always drain. After a while this can become very thick and trap more fluid in the ear, which can build up pressure (causing pain or discomfort) and reduce hearing. My son got tubes in his ear 3 weeks ago and the doctor said it was just completely blocked in one ear, and the change has just been incredible. I also have suffered hearing/ear issues my whole life including 3 surgeries so I have a lot of experience with it. I highly recommend you get a referral to take her to see an ENT. It could be something as simple as allergies causing inflammation in the Eustachian tube preventing the fluid from draining from her ears. Hope this helps :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pce68
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 12:19 AM

Yes you can have an ear infection without a fever. My dd rarely gets fevers, even when she has had ear infections, sinus infections, strep throat, even bronchitis and pneumonia. About the only time she gets a fever is when she catches some type of stomach bug, which has only been about 3 or 4 times in the last 13 yrs.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN