Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

At what age do you teach your children to be self sufficient?

Posted by   + Show Post

Is 7 years old to young?

by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:14 AM
Replies (11-20):
trebelcleff
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 4:15 PM

I think it depends on the kiddo... by three my oldest could get himself dressed, go potty, and get an easy breakfast for himself in the mornings, was able to properly brush and shower (with supervision), and could pick up after himself.  My youngest (currently three) isn't mature enough to do any of that, especially without any supervision... not that we haven't tried to get him to be more self sufficient, his personality is just different and my oldest has always been "mature" for his age comparably.  

CoeyG
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 4:22 PM

Quoting savingtheworld:

Sorry to interrupt..I'm just very interested in u..don't mean to come off weird..but what the heck do u do for a living?

Quoting CoeyG:

I taught my daughter to do the laundry when she was seven, that doesn't mean she did it all the time but she helped.  I taughter her how to use an iron when she was eight and she was ironing her own clothes when she was nine.  She started picking out her clothes when she was about three, I let her put together her own "looks' and she did pretty well.  I always encouraged her to have her own "style" She had a paper route when she was nine, yes I had to get up and help her but she worked very hard on that route.

I am disabled and on Social Security.  So I pretty much sit on my ass after working for over 40 years

erinsmom1964
by Gold Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 4:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

For me it's a gradual thing through out life until they leave the house.

EXACTLY from the time they start moving and being aware we teach them age appropriate things to be self sufficient.  

bmcandmmh
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 4:59 PM
Tell me the answer to this because my son is 5 and refuses to do anything for himself. His attitude sucks. He makes us wash him in the bath and dress him. It's getting ridiculous. He can do it he just doesn't want to do it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AubreeGrace17
by Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 5:48 PM

I would have started sooner. It would begin with small things until they appeared ready to handle more tasks. Getting dressed on their own, tying their shoes, cleaning, making simple meals, and other things are all skills a 7 year old should have. By simple meals I mean a sandwich, cereal, or something out of the microwave.

lilbosslady1978
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Nope!  Not too young at all.  :)

SexyTeacher
by Gold Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 6:18 PM

We started as soon as she could walk. Picking up her toys, gettng her toys out of the bath tub, picking up trash in the house and yard. Small things that got her a god start. 7 is not too young.

Bmat
by Barb on Oct. 12, 2012 at 6:26 PM

From the time they could walk.  They had chores and were expected to be able to entertain themselves.

imgnabamommy
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 9:33 PM

my son is 3, i am already teaching him to be self-sufficient by the task.

doulala
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:29 PM

In what way, specifically?

They are learning to be self-sufficient & independent from birth, on.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)