Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

At what age do you teach your children to be self sufficient?

Posted by   + Show Post

Is 7 years old to young?

by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:14 AM
Replies (21-30):
doulala
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:31 PM

Quoting bmcandmmh:

Tell me the answer to this because my son is 5 and refuses to do anything for himself. His attitude sucks. He makes us wash him in the bath and dress him. It's getting ridiculous. He can do it he just doesn't want to do it.

There are ways to make it fun--
Be sure to do it together and generally at the same time--consistently.

(*Think of Mrs Piggle-Wiggle!  lol)

Yellow the bracken,
Golden the sheaves,
Rosy the apples,
Crimson the leaves,
Mist on the hillside,
Clouds grey and white,
Autumn good morning,
Summer, good night!

scarecrow        falling_leaves

southernwldchld
by Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:56 PM

We start as soon as they are able. If my one year old is able to pull toys out, they were able to put toys back. They can also help scrape their plates and put them in the dishwasher.

My kids are responsible for 95% of the mess that is created, so they are responsible for keeping it clean. 

I get up and do breakfasts, lunches, school, football practices, derby practices, etc all week. Saturday and Sunday are my days to do nothing other than cheer at a game or bout.

My five yr old will get up and make her own breakfast, and either her or one of the olders will make the 2yr olds breakfast. My 8yr old just finished making dinner (Tuna Melts and Fries) and they are all responsible for their own laundry.

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 12:08 AM

How do you mean self sufficient?   DD has been learning how to dress herself and pour her own drinks since age 4.  She is 6 now and we are working on microwave cooking just so she feels more grown up.  She wont be totally self sufficient until teen years when she gets a job and can support herself.

spotsmom
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 12:55 AM

I guess it depends on what you mean by "self-sufficient." Teaching kids to be self-sufficient is an ongoing process, that doesn't end until they are adults, out on their own. But if you mean basics like dressing, picking up after themselves, fixing an easy snack, brushing teeeth, bathing, toileting, then most of that should be done with a certain degree of self-sufficiency. 

nellyb118
by Silver Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 12:56 AM
It starts young with age appropriate responsibilities. Even a 1 year old can help pick up his toys.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lucsch
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 3:11 PM

It starts at birth and really never ends...even into adulthood they will ask for your advice.

lucsch
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Nip this in the bud! Do you want him running your life?

You give him a look and tell him to do it himself or (fill in the consequence) will happen.

Always remember who is in charge. It is either you or him! I'd hope that you want the answer to be you.

Oh, but pick your battles carefully. You have to give your son some freedom of choice, so pick only the important things.

Quoting doulala:

Quoting bmcandmmh:

Tell me the answer to this because my son is 5 and refuses to do anything for himself. His attitude sucks. He makes us wash him in the bath and dress him. It's getting ridiculous. He can do it he just doesn't want to do it.

There are ways to make it fun--
Be sure to do it together and generally at the same time--consistently.

(*Think of Mrs Piggle-Wiggle!  lol)

doulala
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Quoting lucsch:

Nip this in the bud! Do you want him running your life?

You give him a look and tell him to do it himself or (fill in the consequence) will happen.

Always remember who is in charge. It is either you or him! I'd hope that you want the answer to be you.

Oh, but pick your battles carefully. You have to give your son some freedom of choice, so pick only the important things.

Quoting doulala:

Well obviously I disagree with you.

That isn't the approach I took when raising my kids and I won't do that with the others I work with either.

ShannieP
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 3:38 PM
Self sufficiency is taught from the start. If a 7 year old cannot do anything for themselves then they are WAY behind
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
crystal-boyd
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 4:19 PM
I don't think so. I think its a constant lesson we will b teaching. Every age group has new things to learn to do on there own. From going potty to buying a car.
My dd is 3 and she cleans her own rooms, pottys, showers, gets dressed, gets her own food and drink (within reason) and she helps care for her little brother. Ive been called a mean mom by others for pushing her so much but i dont think her age really matters. I know she is capable of doin these things a more on her own and im not goin to baby her and do everything for her.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)