Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Broken back PIOG

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 2:54 PM
  • 9 Replies

Was wondering if anyone has any experience with a broken L5?

My Dad stepped into a hole on Sunday and ended up breaking his L5 (had an xray done).  He's in so much pain.  :(  They're waiting for his insurance to okay an MRI to find out what the next step is.

What should we expect?  What was your experience?  Thanks.

by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 2:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 3:51 PM

BUMP!

robyann
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 3:59 PM
1 mom liked this

BUMP!

SouthTxPrincess
by Silver Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 4:31 PM
My dad broke his back when I was a kid it was his lower back, couple inches above the start of his butt. He had surgerys to put in screws and again to have them removed, he is on ss now and can't work ever again. The recovery was slow and he still has a lot of pain, but he is able to live a normal life, he does everything everyone else does daily. I'm sure my dad would be willing to answer any questions you have just let me know and ill pass them along. I'll pray for your family!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Malley
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 4:40 PM
My dh broke his back almost two years ago. It was a little above his waist. The surgery he had filled in the break with "concrete. " Right after the surgery he had no pain and full range of motion. He just couldn't lift anything more than 15 pounds for a couple of weeks. He has had no problems since then. I can't remember the name of the surgery but is what is done on elderly patients who break bones from osteoporosis. Definitely see if he is a candidate.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Malley
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 4:41 PM
1 mom liked this
The only side effect is it made him a little shorter, like 1/2 inch.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Thank you so much.  I'm glad your dad's surgery turned out okay, even with not being able to work.  And thank you for the prayers.  That's what he needs the most of right now.  :)

Quoting SouthTxPrincess:

My dad broke his back when I was a kid it was his lower back, couple inches above the start of his butt. He had surgerys to put in screws and again to have them removed, he is on ss now and can't work ever again. The recovery was slow and he still has a lot of pain, but he is able to live a normal life, he does everything everyone else does daily. I'm sure my dad would be willing to answer any questions you have just let me know and ill pass them along. I'll pray for your family!

by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 5:45 PM

I'll look into the surgery.  Thanks so much!  :)  

Quoting Malley:

My dh broke his back almost two years ago. It was a little above his waist. The surgery he had filled in the break with "concrete. " Right after the surgery he had no pain and full range of motion. He just couldn't lift anything more than 15 pounds for a couple of weeks. He has had no problems since then. I can't remember the name of the surgery but is what is done on elderly patients who break bones from osteoporosis. Definitely see if he is a candidate.

Malley
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 5:05 AM
1 mom liked this
I hope it's an option for him. Let me lnow if you need more info on it.

Quoting 081499:

I'll look into the surgery.  Thanks so much!  :)  

Quoting Malley:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emmy526
by Silver Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 6:04 AM

yes...i had to have a spinal fusion....not fun, and now 13yrs later, my fusion is slipping, and eventually going to render me immobile. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)