Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Need Surgery-Can't Afford time Off - update

Posted by   + Show Post

What can i do? i am the sole breadwinner for the family, dh is disabled, and i need surgery on my feet, before i can't walk.  I cannot afford to take the time off, as we are in a financial lurch already, waiting for dh's SSD to be approved.  We are barely scraping by, and to take time off, could put in out on the street...i don't know what to do... no, there are no services i qualify for to help out...i already looked.  Meanwhile, my feet get worse every month and it becomes more of a struggle to just be able to walk.  

Update:  after thinking about it, and rationalizing when i would actually have surgery, it won't be til 3-4mos down the line anyway, so,  i decided that i should get enough income tax return to enable me to stay home to recuperate without having to worry about things.

by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 7:27 AM
Replies (41-44):
emmy526
by Silver Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 5:24 PM

Salval has no help other than a food bank and clothing vouchers..we already get fs, and medical..do not qualify for cash as i work full time...winter protection is starting in a couple weeks, so my utils won't get shut off.  

Quoting TCain0001:

Some suggestion that may help:

Did you try contacting the Salvation Army?  They may be able to help in sort of way.  Or some local food banks?

Also, did you try applying for food stamps, cash assistance, and Medicaid?  This is all income-based, and if you're the only one working and barely covering expenses, they may be able to help you.

Our local Catholic church also helps out in an emergency with things like the electric, gas, etc.

Bmat
by Barb on Oct. 15, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Oh gosh, I hope the income tax idea works out for you.  I also wonder if you could work out a deal with the doctor about repayment weekly or monthly so that you can get the surgery sooner.

emmy526
by Silver Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 7:27 PM

i have insurance

Quoting Bmat:

Oh gosh, I hope the income tax idea works out for you.  I also wonder if you could work out a deal with the doctor about repayment weekly or monthly so that you can get the surgery sooner.

rayroe2
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 7:28 PM

that sounds like a great update, and start a money jar and put change and extra dollar bills you have laying around and don't use until that time also.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)