Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Need Surgery-Can't Afford time Off - update

Posted by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 7:27 AM
  • 44 Replies

What can i do? i am the sole breadwinner for the family, dh is disabled, and i need surgery on my feet, before i can't walk.  I cannot afford to take the time off, as we are in a financial lurch already, waiting for dh's SSD to be approved.  We are barely scraping by, and to take time off, could put in out on the street...i don't know what to do... no, there are no services i qualify for to help out...i already looked.  Meanwhile, my feet get worse every month and it becomes more of a struggle to just be able to walk.  

Update:  after thinking about it, and rationalizing when i would actually have surgery, it won't be til 3-4mos down the line anyway, so,  i decided that i should get enough income tax return to enable me to stay home to recuperate without having to worry about things.

by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 7:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
weezer_cookie
by Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 7:40 AM
You need to take care of yourself. Can your DH work from home? Where do you work? Most places will give medical leave of some sort. Good luck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emmy526
by Silver Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 7:55 AM

dh is physically and mentally disabled and cannot work at all....i dont' get a paid med leave, i work for a home care agency, and havent had a raise in 5yrs...no, there aren't any other jobs around either. 

Quoting weezer_cookie:

You need to take care of yourself. Can your DH work from home? Where do you work? Most places will give medical leave of some sort. Good luck.

Firewoman33
by Silver Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 8:05 AM

Can you move in with your parents, temporarily? 

marchantmom06
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 8:07 AM
Can you apply for FMLA??
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emmy526
by Silver Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 8:52 AM

i have no parents...they're gone

Quoting Firewoman33:

Can you move in with your parents, temporarily? 

emmy526
by Silver Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 8:53 AM

all that will do is guarantee i have a job to return to....my problem is what to do for the month of no pay?

Quoting marchantmom06:

Can you apply for FMLA??

MrsRobinson06
by Amy on Oct. 13, 2012 at 8:59 AM
Fmla pays up to six weeks.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emmy526
by Silver Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 9:00 AM

i'll check into it...chances are its not going to pay my reg check amount which is barely enough as it is now...if it's any lower than that, i'm still in the same boat.  

Quoting MrsRobinson06:

Tea4Tas
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 9:04 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting MrsRobinson06:

No it does NOT. FMLA is unpaid leave. A few states offer paid leave. Or she can purchase STD thru a company like Aflac.  EVERYONE should have STD or LTD (ideally both) the time to buy it (like all insurance) is BEFORE you need it.

emmy526
by Silver Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 9:05 AM

see, that's what i thought too, unpaid leave...

Quoting Tea4Tas:

Quoting MrsRobinson06:

No it does NOT. FMLA is unpaid leave. A few states offer paid leave. Or she can purchase STD thru a company like Aflac.  EVERYONE should have STD or LTD (ideally both) the time to buy it (like all insurance) is BEFORE you need it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)