Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Paycheck and taxes question..

I am in the state of AL. I am working, my dh is not. What is the Medicare, social security percentage? Is it different in every state? We are very low income. Trying to see if I will have enough on payday for the power bill and water. my check before taxes should be 300.000
I didn't claim any exemptions, and under all boxes I put 0.
Any got any idea?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 2:45 PM
Replies (11-20):
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 4:35 PM
Yes, zero tax liability. Just means a refund of all taxes paid.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MissTacoBell
by Silver Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 4:39 PM
The IRS doesn't care how many you claim on w/h as long as the tax is figured and paid right in April.

Quoting blondie.mom:

Unless you HAVE 10 dependants, DO NOT CLAIM THAT MANY! Lying to the government is a big no no.

Since you are working and your Dh is not (and I'm assuming you have at least one child, I could be wrong) you can claim at least 1 and have slightly less taken out of each check, and still most likely not owe at the end of the year. We have 2 boys and I am a sahm, Dh claims 3 dependants and we never owe, in fact we always get back a return.

Quoting sleepymommy87:

I would strongly recommend AGAINST this advice. If you put 10 you'll end up owing a hell of a lot of money come tax season. Putting 0 sucks throughout the year but it pretty much ensures never owing taxes.

Quoting TeaHound:

If you have previous paychecks or pay info, like online records from direct deposit, you should be able to work backwards from there or find a check for close enough to the same amount.

I would suggest changing your dependents to something like 10. That way you aren't getting as much $ taken out of your check.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TeaHound
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 4:44 PM
ACTUALLY, it doesn't work that way. You owe the same amount. She said "very low income". She probably doesn't owe anything at tax time.
PS: My MIL is the one who told us to do this. She's a CPA.

Quoting sleepymommy87:

I would strongly recommend AGAINST this advice. If you put 10 you'll end up owing a hell of a lot of money come tax season. Putting 0 sucks throughout the year but it pretty much ensures never owing taxes.

Quoting TeaHound:

If you have previous paychecks or pay info, like online records from direct deposit, you should be able to work backwards from there or find a check for close enough to the same amount.

I would suggest changing your dependents to something like 10. That way you aren't getting as much $ taken out of your check.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sleepymommy87
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 4:51 PM
It's still tax fraud if she were to get audited. I'd rather not risk jail time just saying

Quoting TeaHound:

ACTUALLY, it doesn't work that way. You owe the same amount. She said "very low income". She probably doesn't owe anything at tax time.

Quoting sleepymommy87:

Quoting TeaHound:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy2annaliese
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 4:53 PM
I don't have 10 dependants though, I only have one and I didn't know not claiming her made it take out more. I usually file seperately and so df claims DD since only one person can because I owe the IRS money from a BP settlement check I got (I didn't know it was taxed at the end of the year and at the end of the year I didn't file cause I didn't work that year, so I figured I didn't have to and come to fin out this year when I started getting letters about it I owe 1,000.00) so idk. I'm so confused on taxes. Ill have to go talk to someone

Quoting TeaHound:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shamroc374
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 4:57 PM
It's not tax fraud to claim 10 on your check, you will just have to more likely pay taxes in when you do your taxes. They do not care about your withholding just that you don't claim 10 when you file your taxes.

Quoting sleepymommy87:

It's still tax fraud if she were to get audited. I'd rather not risk jail time just saying

Quoting TeaHound:

Quoting sleepymommy87:

Quoting TeaHound:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommaoftwo
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 4:58 PM

My DH puts 11, and we never have to pay taxes. They have a worksheet you do to figure out what exemptions  you are eligible for.

Quoting sleepymommy87:

Quoting TeaHound:

Mommy of FIVE!!!

Tara~12.16.03  Zachary~5.17.05  Rowan~1.17.09  Willow~8/10/11 Baby~ EDA 1/27/13

shamroc374
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 5:00 PM
I claimed married and 1 on my paycheck. I have only recieved 1 check so far, I worked 31 hours, made $475 on check, and they took out 75 cents in taxes. I am worried they took to little and don't want to have to pay money in when I file my taxes. I have 2 kids and pay for school so I will get deductions for them. Does anyone think they took to little out? Does it make a difference if you work for a state university or the county?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TeaHound
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 5:02 PM
It's not tax fraud to tell your employer how much you want them to send to the government in withholding. It's tax fraud to lie on your tax forms.

Quoting sleepymommy87:

Quoting TeaHound:

Quoting sleepymommy87:

Quoting TeaHound:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy2annaliese
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 5:03 PM
Yeah, I get paid biweekly, I work about 35 hours a week, 10.00 an hour. We only afford food and bills. I haven't bought anything for myself in two years.
I guess I'll go fix it when I work next. I didn't know what dependant meant at the time, so I will fix it to say my dd.
Hopefully it will help and I won't owe more taxes. I def won't be getting a return this year because I owe them 1,000.00 from a check I got when that oil spill hit because it cause me to lose months of work.

Quoting TeaHound:

Quoting sleepymommy87:

Quoting TeaHound:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)