Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

What do I do with my 16 month old??

Posted by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 10:16 PM
  • 12 Replies
1 mom liked this

I am a SAHM to a 16 month old boy.  I don't know what other mom's do, but do I have to play on the floor with him all day?  Do other people take a break and allow for supervised solo time?  I don't have the TV on during the day at all, I just allow for one hour in the evening (educational programming).  I play Pandora (classical music) all day long.  We do arts each day, outside time each day, we learn body parts, signs, and I am just exhausted from all the activity.  Do other mom's do work on the computer or read while their kids play solo?  Or do I have to play with him all day?

by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 10:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
buttersworth
by Bronze Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 10:26 PM

My kids want me to play with them all day but I can't do it. I have to do housework too, sometimes run errands. I basically give them chunks of time where I play with them, and when they're satisfied, I let them go off on their own. They are 11 mo. apart but don't play together much, instead they fight over toys so I am always having to stop what I'm doing to mediate. I use the tv. I try not to but some days it is just impossible (we have Pandora too). When my dd was little she got more of my time, like your son. This is good but also creates a problem - she started to not know how to entertain herself. It's good to get your son interested n something and then walk away, so he will learn how to play alone.

ashleybgarcia
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 10:28 PM
I let my son play alone. I need a break, & it is good for his imagination. He's 3 now, & I'm so glad he doesn't need me all the time to know how to play.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 10:30 PM

At 16 months old he can work on simple foam puzzles or play with blocks by himself.  Even buy some cars and dolls for him to play with.  It is good to step away for a bit and let him find his personal interests.  Perhaps show him how to wipe down low laying tables and help you "dust" the walls for times he wants to be with you while you are doing housework.  Shoot at this age some tupperware can turn into a drum set for him while music is on........  Pandora has a great preschool or toddler station as well so turn that on for him to dance and be silly with.

bbmkfo03
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 10:31 PM

Give yourself a break mama!! It's awesome that you do so much together but you need a break too. I always allowed DD to play by herself when she wanted to at that age & only allowed 1/2 hour of TV per day (a baby einstein video while I prepared dinner) .  She's now 3 and very self sufficient. She can entertain herself with no problems when I'm nursing the baby. 

Mommy2KandX
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 10:48 PM

Housework has to be done. 2 hours before nap, 2 hours before daddy, and daddy plays when he gets home. I don't do anything for me until they are in bed but i have a 4 month old as well. independent play is important in my opinion.

norahsmommy
by Silver Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 10:51 PM
You are being an amazing mamma! Leaning to play alone is just as important as spending time with mom and interactive play. A 16 month old should be allowed to play and come up with their own fun, it's good for them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mmccrea
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 10:52 PM

Good to know.  I felt bad leaving him to himself to play.  How much time a day do you think?

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Oct. 13, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Quoting frndlyfn:

At 16 months old he can work on simple foam puzzles or play with blocks by himself.  Even buy some cars and dolls for him to play with.  It is good to step away for a bit and let him find his personal interests.  Perhaps show him how to wipe down low laying tables and help you "dust" the walls for times he wants to be with you while you are doing housework.  Shoot at this age some tupperware can turn into a drum set for him while music is on........  Pandora has a great preschool or toddler station as well so turn that on for him to dance and be silly with.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CoeyG
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 11:16 PM

No you don't have to play with him all day.  If you do that he will grow up not knowing how to self entertain, he will expect you to do it all for him .  He needs to learn how to self entertain and at his age it's about time he did.  let him play with his blocks by himself.  Let him play with his toys by himself.  Let him toddler around by himself.  Wheh  you are cooking let him have access to the pots and pans and "serenade" you while you get dinner ready LOL.  Put some lively music on that he can dance to.  

mmccrea
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 1:20 AM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)