Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Baby shower for someone I don't really know...

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Would you host this shower?

Options:

Yes, it's the right thing to do.

No, it's not appropriate.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 34

View Results

Hi Everyone.

I was recently asked to throw a baby shower for "my side of the family" for someone I don't really know and I'm not sure how to respond. To give you some background, one of my parents has a significant other who recently was reunited with their children (estranged from a bad divorce). One of them is now pregnant.

How well do we now know each other? We all had dinner together at a restaurant once (not quite a year ago) and all shared a day with our parents around this time last year. I don't know their phone number, friends, home address, etc., and my out of town family members (almost all of them) have never met these children. On FB they friended me but there has been no contact (like, comment, or response to a positive comment I made) so even through that venue-I don't feel connected.

I don't mind buying them a gift but feel extremely awkward about hosting a shower in this case.

As a side note, this is not their first child and they are having another baby shower for friends and other family. What would you do?
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 4:28 AM
Replies (11-18):
zannahdeux
by Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 12:54 PM
2 moms liked this

i assume your dad asked you to do this because no woman in her right mind would ask another woman to host a shower for someone they met once. This is just silly

Bellarose0212
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 1:05 PM

It sounds like you feel uncomfortable about it.

You can respectfully decline. Say what you said basically, that you don't really know their friends and family to contact, what they like, etc. Say that you'd be happy to attend and bring a gift, but don't really have the time to devote to hosting. Wish them well.

If you weren't uncomfortable about it, I would say it's fine to host for someone you don't know well, if you want to and they want you to.

I wonder why they asked you. Do you have the biggest home around or something?

CoeyG
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 2:48 PM

I voted No, I would never host a shower for someone I didn't know and I wouldn't be "backed into" doing so.  If your parent and their sigificant other wants them to have a shower let the two of them host it.  

kikibix
by Bronze Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 3:48 PM

Say no. It's ridiculous of someone to ask you to do it.  Say you'd be happy to attend and help out a bit but since you do not know this person, their friends or really anything about them that you are uncomfortable taking on such a big stressful task.  Plus they are already having another babyshower - how many do people need?!

alexis_06
by AnnaLisa on Oct. 14, 2012 at 4:33 PM

if you dont know anyone, how are you supposed to do it??  i wouldnt!

grannywilson
by Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 5:38 PM

Sweetly decline.  I had a similiar situation some years ago.  It was a bridal shower.  I spent over $200.00 and have never seen the girl since.  If she has family and friends to invite then someone could have the shower.

motherlove220
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 6:07 PM
Just say no, get a gift and call it a day.
Hatred4none
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 12:24 AM
I would do it. If the purpose of the 2nd shower is so she and her siblings have another chance to get acquainted with your family. Do it. Invite only your family and hers and if you don't have their numbers then this is the best time to call your parent or their partner for them. You may all feel a bit awkward initially but maybe in a shower party setting you will better understand and get to know one another.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN