Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How to Start Potty Training

Posted by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 4:19 PM
  • 11 Replies

I can't seem to find enough info. on the internet.  How did everyone start potty training their kids?  Did you wait until they could talk and say that they were wet?  Did you use cloth training pants?  Please, I want to start, and can't get my son to really want to do it yet.  

by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 4:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
freshmom88
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 6:26 PM
How old is he?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emmy526
by Silver Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 6:32 PM

the child has to show some interest in the toilet and body functions in order to start...does he stay dry for any lengthy periods thru the day, like after nap?  are you going at it alone, or is dad or another male around to help show him what to do?

mmccrea
by Bronze Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 6:50 PM

He is 16 months old.  The only reason why I want to start is because he knows when he has to go, and I can tell when he has to go too.  

Quoting freshmom88:

How old is he?

emmy526
by Silver Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 7:15 PM

in that case, when you see him 'making that face' quickly bring him to the bathroom, and sit him on his potty...join him in this for the first few times, so  he gets the idea that clothes have to come off first.  

Quoting mmccrea:

He is 16 months old.  The only reason why I want to start is because he knows when he has to go, and I can tell when he has to go too.  

Quoting freshmom88:

How old is he?

mmccrea
by Bronze Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 7:57 PM

And yes, he stays dry for lenthy periods during the day, and after naps.  Dad is here 1/2 the time or so to show him what to do.  Should I put him on the big potty or a potty chair?

Quoting emmy526:

the child has to show some interest in the toilet and body functions in order to start...does he stay dry for any lengthy periods thru the day, like after nap?  are you going at it alone, or is dad or another male around to help show him what to do?

proudmommy690
by Bronze Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 8:00 PM
I put out the potty seat and put panties on my girls and ask every few minutes if they have to potty. Im still in the process of potty training my 3yr old....shes doing great other than at night, that will be hard for me to get her trained at night lol. But during the day just use underwear and ask every few minutes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mmccrea
by Bronze Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 8:07 PM

It's hard because he does not want to sit for long on the toilet....

Quoting proudmommy690:

I put out the potty seat and put panties on my girls and ask every few minutes if they have to potty. Im still in the process of potty training my 3yr old....shes doing great other than at night, that will be hard for me to get her trained at night lol. But during the day just use underwear and ask every few minutes.

proudmommy690
by Bronze Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 9:13 PM
10 minutes is fine...10-15. If thats the case ask him every 15-20 minutes. Or 10 minutes depending how often he pees now lol.

Quoting mmccrea:

It's hard because he does not want to sit for long on the toilet....

Quoting proudmommy690:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nenasam
by Bronze Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 9:26 PM
Just put the potty in your bathroom and key him sit in it..plays around would be fine..read potty training books if he is interested. Thats how it start. My son is 3 and he off diapers since 21/2, off pulls-up while ago. But kids grow differently!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bbmkfo03
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 9:45 PM
1 mom liked this

IMO, if you have to do a lot of work to get the child on the potty then they aren't ready yet so I wouldn't push it. When the child is 100% ready there isn't much for you to do but a little dirty laundry on the first day or two and read some books while they're on the potty. At 16 months I wouldn't be pushing anything yet. Read about the 5 day potty training method. My DD was trained in 5 days but I waited until she was 100% ready, she was just over 2. I never had to put her on the potty every 15 minutes, set a timer or anything like that. It was easy and actually fun, not a lot of work for me!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured