Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

fomula question

Posted by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 11:29 PM
  • 7 Replies

My son is 8 months old. For the first 6 months I used Enfamil Nutramigen because when he was first born he had a milk allergy and soy allergy. Around 4/5 months I challenged his milk allergy with and he no longer had any symptoms. 

I receive wic and they changed his formula to Gerber Soothe. He does excellent on it. I don't receive even close to enough wic to last a whole month so I was wondering for those days we run out of what wic provided if it would be ok if I used Enfamil Gentle instead. I just prefer Enfamil over the other brands.

by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 11:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 11:42 PM

I think it would be ok.  We never did formula through WIC since i nursed dd.  When she wasnt able to nurse we used Enfamil Gentlease with no issues.   I think that is our local WIC office's preference but no clue since dd is 6 so policies have changed since babyhood.

CoeyG
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 11:56 PM

Changing formulas is not a good idea.  Before you switch around every month I would discuss it with the doctor.  

DarlaHood
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 12:13 AM

I think it depends on the kid, but you've indicated that he may have some sensitivies, so it might be better to be consistent.  The only way to know is to try it and see how he does.  Even your doctor can't really predict how his body will respond, although he/she may have some experience with other kids that might guide general advice.  But it really sounds like you know pretty well how he's doing on a formula type, so you are probably the best judge of how he will handle a change.

fullxbusymom
by Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 12:15 AM

It could mess with his system.  Although ingrediants are close they still vary in what seems like minor ways to us but are huge ways to a babies sensitive little body.

Knr2209
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 2:20 AM

i forgot to add that the majority of food he gets is table food other than his bubba. so his digestive system is pretty strong. but thanks i guess ill try and find out

lilmama8408
by Silver Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 2:23 AM
Switching formula like that can cause all sorts of trouble.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angelbab24
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 2:31 AM
We used gentlease and it didn't work for my dd- she's on soothe now and is doing wonderfully. Plus the soothe is cheaper then enfamil. You can also register at gerber.com and receive coupons for the formula- but you can do that with enfamil too.

Just be advised that if you switch to enfamil you have to transition slowly- day 1 you would do 1 bottle of enfamil then the rest gerber- day 2 is 2 bottles of enfamil and the rest gerber and so on until all bottles are enfamil. If you don't do it like this you will have a very cranky baby, take it from me- I didn't know better and my dd suffered for a week. Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)