Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms
I bought my 10 yr old a cell phone for her birthday because there are sometimes when she will stay home with the doors locked while I go get the mail at the end of the street and she stays after school once a week for a club. Its a pay as u go phone so other then standard mins so she can call out for emergencies she has to earn text mins or call friends mins. When we r home sone has to ask to use her phone and tell me what for unless she is out with it. I'm really wanting to teach her that at her age cells are for emergencies and to communicate something quick like i need picked up. Her sister and her keep begging me for itouches for Christmas so they can text on wifi at home or library. These are expensive devices though and i know they more what it to text with each other, their cousins or me and my husband and sd could text her mom with it. What I'm looking for is like an itouch knock off that's much cheaper like under 75 or something that will text to normal cell phones on wifi without being a cell phone cuz I want the cell to be mainly used for quick or emergency calls. Also Sd is only 8 so I'm not ready for her to have a real cell. Any ideas.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 12:39 AM
Replies (11-17):
alexis_06
by AnnaLisa on Oct. 16, 2012 at 2:42 AM

my daughter got an ipod for her 8th bday...mainly because her cousins who live 9hrs away (they are 9 and 11) have them, and she wanted a way to do facetime, and to text them.  yes the ipodtouch was 200 bucks...but..it was sooo worth it!!  and its nice because they can "imessage" ANYONE with an iphone, ipod, ipad for free!! and then for other people who dont have an apple product (like myself) she downloaded "textplus" and can text anyone else for free.  its great!!  i know alot of people think it's to young..but...its helped her with spelling/reading ALOT!!  and trust me, she needed the help!

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Oct. 16, 2012 at 8:47 AM
Mine had to have good grades and be in 9th grade. I would never give a 10 yo a phone.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamaBerg85
by Member on Oct. 16, 2012 at 5:39 PM
What do u have? I'm still looking for a knock off

Quoting alexis_06:

my daughter got an ipod for her 8th bday...mainly because her cousins who live 9hrs away (they are 9 and 11) have them, and she wanted a way to do facetime, and to text them.  yes the ipodtouch was 200 bucks...but..it was sooo worth it!!  and its nice because they can "imessage" ANYONE with an iphone, ipod, ipad for free!! and then for other people who dont have an apple product (like myself) she downloaded "textplus" and can text anyone else for free.  its great!!  i know alot of people think it's to young..but...its helped her with spelling/reading ALOT!!  and trust me, she needed the help!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ida123
by on Oct. 16, 2012 at 11:47 PM
My first cell i bought on my first salary.
barefootmommi
by on Oct. 17, 2012 at 11:48 AM
Sixth grade ? I didn't get one till I was a freshmen in highschool and it had no data plan it was super basic

Quoting Kazmira222:

This era has ruined children. Lol no joke! My first cell phone wasn't until I was in 6th grade. Sry no advice here. :s
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kazmira222
by Member on Oct. 17, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Well mine was really only good for txting and calling. lol But at the time it seemed great!

Quoting barefootmommi:

Sixth grade ? I didn't get one till I was a freshmen in highschool and it had no data plan it was super basic

Quoting Kazmira222:

This era has ruined children. Lol no joke! My first cell phone wasn't until I was in 6th grade. Sry no advice here. :s

barefootmommi
by on Oct. 17, 2012 at 9:35 PM
Of course it did! I didn't even know data plans existed

Quoting Kazmira222:

Well mine was really only good for txting and calling. lol But at the time it seemed great!

Quoting barefootmommi:

Quoting Kazmira222:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN